Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know one of the concerns with the Jeep Renegade, since it was first introduced, has been the lack of horsepower. My lease runs out in another year, and it doesn't look like the Renegade will be offered with an optional engine. I was wondering if anyone purchased another Renegade even though you thought it lacked enough horsepower? Are there others on here who may be thinking of another Renegade purchase because there's more to the Renegade than just horsies under the hood?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I know one of the concerns with the Jeep Renegade, since it was first introduced, has been the lack of horsepower. My lease runs out in another year, and it doesn't look like the Renegade will be offered with an optional engine. I was wondering if anyone purchased another Renegade even though you thought it lacked enough horsepower? Are there others on here who may be thinking of another Renegade purchase because there's more to the Renegade than just horsies under the hood?
Go for the stick shift and you'll like it even more. If you can drive a stick. The auto is boring for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
id buy a Cherokee TH with the V6. More power and a real rear locker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd go for the stick and a tune if you're looking for more power. If you don't want a stick, I'd also recommend a Cherokee with the V6. I have a 2014 fwd Cherokee Latitude with the 6 cyl and I can say it's significantly quicker than the Renegade and only gets about 2 less mpg's. Good power at any speed. After a couple flash updates for the tranny, no issues with the 9 speed in that car either.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'd go for the stick and a tune if you're looking for more power. If you don't want a stick, I'd also recommend a Cherokee with the V6. I have a 2014 fwd Cherokee Latitude with the 6 cyl and I can say it's significantly quicker than the Renegade and only gets about 2 less mpg's. Good power at any speed. After a couple flash updates for the tranny, no issues with the 9 speed in that car either.
I go for another stick shift renegade. If they have a straight 6, I will like it even more!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I turned in my leased 2015 Trailhawk and leased a Compass TH. After one month I turned the Compass back in and got a 2017 Renegade Trailhawk. I was not pleased with the Compass and it was no brainer to go back to the Renegade. I got more options in it than my 2015 Renegade which was nice :laugh:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked the 10 slowest cars list of 2017, and the Renegade is not there. Yesterday I decided to shift the 9 speed manually, and it seemed to go pretty good. I don't think when you shift manually, the GoPedal (which I have) doesn't do anything. Maybe I will stick with the Renegade Limited. I guess I'll see in a year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I turned in my leased 2015 Trailhawk and leased a Compass TH. After one month I turned the Compass back in and got a 2017 Renegade Trailhawk. I was not pleased with the Compass and it was no brainer to go back to the Renegade. I got more options in it than my 2015 Renegade which was nice :laugh:
What did you not like about the Compass that made you go back to the Renegade?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Like Sakustoms says, give us feedback if you could.

I thought the compass will be more hip to younger generations and the Renegade is getting "cheaper" in terms of detailed workmanship on the trims.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sakustoms... I recently sat in a compass at work belonging to a new co-worker. It looks like a toy jeep you’d give to a 5 yr.. very cheaply made and the interior is all over the place.. nothing really makes sense whereas when I’m in my Renny every is comfy and right where it should be.. all the controls are set in the right place.. And when you really learn how to drive a 9 speed automatic it’s a great fun little jeep to drive.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sakustoms... I recently sat in a compass at work belonging to a new co-worker. It looks like a toy jeep you’d give to a 5 yr.. very cheaply made and the interior is all over the place.. nothing really makes sense whereas when I’m in my Renny every is comfy and right where it should be.. all the controls are set in the right place.. And when you really learn how to drive a 9 speed automatic it’s a great fun little jeep to drive.
That's good to know.
I thought the Compass is better than the Renegade.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wnope. Will never buy another FCA vehicle again. Car is a half backed vehicle with a dealer network that can’t fix even the simplest of problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I recently got dealer service for my Renegade. While waiting I went into the showroom to check out the Compass (Trailhawk). They also had a Renegade so I did a side by side comparison. Overall the Compass does not feel like a 'Jeep' the way a Renegade does.

I think the Renegade's tall square body shape and up right windshield is what makes it Jeepy. The Renegade interior looks and feels more functional and user friendly. I sat in all 5 Jeep products in the showroom (Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Compass and Renegade) and the Renegade is the closest feeling to the Wrangler.

The two issues I had with the Compass is the location of the HVAC which is angled downwards. The seat backs were too high and cut into my shoulders. I'm 6'2".

The material and finishes are the same as the Renegade IMO and spatially felt roomer but I don't think its 'usable' room, only felt bigger if that makes sense.

Anyways the Compass is a nice ride and I think it's a more conventional SUV that competes with CRV and RAV4, the ruggedness has been tone down.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I currently have the Renegade Trailhawk and I am very happy with it. I do have the Go Pedal and that really makes the difference. If I decided to get another vehicle I would also look at the Cherokee Trailhawk V6.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I definitely feel like the manual is the only Renegade (of course the Trailhawk is the exception, but that's only because of the extra features involved). It's a well-featured, basic (I have the Sport with no Uconnect) and reliable Italian-built vehicle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I definitely feel like the manual is the only Renegade (of course the Trailhawk is the exception, but that's only because of the extra features involved). It's a well-featured, basic (I have the Sport with no Uconnect) and reliable Italian-built vehicle.
Well, yesterday I had to go pick my son up in the middle of a snow storm to go pick up his manual 2016 Renegade Sport b/c after 8,000 miles it wouldn't start; but, my 2015 Jeep Renegade Limited with 9 speed auto, and over 20,000 miles had no problem getting him to the dealer.:laugh:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes, I agree. 1.4T with a simple functional engine.
Weak in torque but is a stick shift and very basic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for the late response

So where do I start on the Compass TH? Well the seats are different from the Renegade with more bolster on the base. This may not affect others but I can't stand the fact that every car has to have a racing style seat. There were also too many gadgets like auto stop/start which can be turned off just like the lane departure too. I like to do the driving not the computer. Also I had the Uconnect turn off on me several times in my one month ownership. Of course it was intermittent but I didn't really want to have the dealership tell me that they couldn't duplicate it. I'm sure they could've done an update but going back and forth to the dealer can be quite annoying. I had a Thule rack and Whispbar bars on my Renegade which none of these could be carried over to the Compass. I like the flush look of the crossbars but they are not available for the Compass. Instead you get those cheesy ass square tubing bars. The Compass didn't have a spot for your sunglasses like the renegade does right in front of the shifter. However I did like the panoramic glass sunroof but that was about it. There was NO toughness to the looks department and the TH wheels seemed too small. The Compass Limited had 19" rims which made it look better. I think the Renegade has a tougher look from the front and reminds me of the old Jeep FC's (Forward Control). Also the taillights on the Compass look cheap and kind of remind me of the euro lights us kids were putting on our Hondas in the 2000s. So in short I think the Compass looks like a smaller scale Grand Cherokee wanabe and the there commercials are annoying. Anyways those are my opinions FWIW. I hope it helps. :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts