Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
Once. On the beach. No mods, rear seats folded.
It was about 4" too short to be comfortable.
Need to be able to reclaim the gap in the rear passenger footwell.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
Nope I have not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stuffed it with clothing bags and put pillows on top, then an air mattress on top. It became quite comfortable especially after hiking all day. We traveled across country without prearranged accommodations on the cheap...

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
393 Posts
Slept straight on the folded rear seats. 5'11'', didn't fold down the passenger seat. Just curled up in a ball. Used this method a couple of times with not much to complain about. I can sleep about anywhere though, I've been known to nap on the occasional hardwood floor.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slept straight on the folded rear seats. 5'11'', didn't fold down the passenger seat. Just curled up in a ball. Used this method a couple of times with not much to complain about. I can sleep about anywhere though, I've been known to nap on the occasional hardwood floor.
I am so jealous of people who can sleep anywhere, even standing up. Hubby is 6'3+ and had to curl a bit more than me. He reminded me we did not have the air mattress on the cross country trip just some heavily padded comforters, sleeping bags and lots of pillows. We invested in air mattress for camping and such since then. The air mattress made all the difference.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Being a former Marine, I can sleep anywhere, even on bare concrete, light, noise has no meaning. But also being that now I'm 59 years old, I can still sleep anywhere, but my body is going to let me know if I made a bad decision. I have fallen asleep while sitting upright in a chair, hands behind my head, fingers interlaced. Amazes my wife.

When I first got my Latitude, I wanted to see if there was enough room to sleep comfortably (operative word: comfortably) in the back. Nope. If I was to sleep in my Jeep, I'd lay the front passenger seat all the way back and sack out there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Being in the air force I could sleep anywhere. We were doing an exercise when I was in England and I got stuck out on the Flightline when the munitions convoy started and my relief was not able to get to me. I was on shift for a long 18 hour day and it was cold and raining most of the time I was out there. I fell asleep standing up tucked into my flack jacket. Nowadays my body will yell at me for those stupid positions.

·
Registered
2015 Latitude 4x4 - 1.4L M6
18 Posts
I've slept in mine a few times; I plan on doing it again. I'm 6'1" and I fit perfectly fine with the passenger's seat all the way up and folded forward. I could see trying to accommodate 2 people being tough, but you can make it work 🙂 here is a picture of my last fishing trip i did, and had the opportunity to sleep in the ole Renegade. Get out there have fun.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tried it last summer and comfort was ok at best. Biggest problem was how HOT it was. I was in a fairly swampy and wet area that was loaded with mosquitos, so I couldn't roll down the windows. I actually woke up 3 or 4 times and ran the AC so I could get a few hours of sleep. Window nets would be a wise investment!

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
That guy has since made a few changes that allows for additional storage once the bed is folded out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That guy has since made a few changes that allows for additional storage once the bed is folded out.
It would be nice if Jeep would just make the seats fold flatter like the 2006 Limited Compass I had. The flatter the seats fold the easier to haul cargo or sleep in (let's hope they are listening) Then we could concentrate on other mods...

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
MLR is so right. It would be wonderful to have front seats as well that folded down. Just imagine the amount of free space and being able to wiggle to your toes in a sleeping bag :LOL:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice set up! Beautiful country there! How much weight can it hold? I still have to get the hitch kit from Renegade Ready. Gobi Rack system being made...
The trailer kit from harbor freight that I used was rated at 1090 pounds. I modified it quite a bit though. I built a new axle with larger hubs and wheels. The trailer kit was bolt up but I welded it all around and added gussets in the corners. It's a lot easier than it sounds. I overbuilt the camper box because I knew I was loading a tent and gear on top. In the corners I used 4X4's in the corners and it's framed with 2x4's. You could probably put a ton of stuff on top. The tent rails I built are 1 inch square and really strong. I wished I had made them taller to store more gear under the tent though. I recently added a 7 gallon fresh water tank, hot water heater and a solar setup to keep all that running. I'm just now finishing the testing to the power panel to make sure it's wired correctly so it'll look nicer when it's finished. It will connect to a 55 amp/hour battery and a 50 watt solar panel. Sorry for the long answer :) My guess is, with the modifications around 2,000 pounds. I put the smaller Tepui tent on it but I also have the bigger one in my Gladiator so I can switch if I need to. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. It's an easy 3 or 4 day project.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like you got it dialed in nicely, very solid and hot water too! I hope to do more traveling/camping/exploring as I work less and less. I will keep adding mods this year so hopefully by fall I can do another longer trip across country. How do you like the Glad? I'm a bit jealous of your well rounded Jeep family!!
Renegade pic please...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like you got it dialed in nicely, very solid and hot water too! I hope to do more traveling/camping/exploring as I work less and less. I will keep adding mods this year so hopefully by fall I can do another longer trip across country. How do you like the Glad? I'm a bit jealous of your well rounded Jeep family!!
Renegade pic please...
Thanks! I lifted my Renegade and added a full length Thule rack. I did put the little Tepui tent on it for a while but it works better on a trailer. I also have Pirelli Scorpion tires. This is after the lift with the new tires but before I added the full rack. It's really a middle extension Thule sells and it now covers the full length of the roof.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts