Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Yea I was in love and took my Sierra Blue Trailhawk off the lot even though it didn't have everything I wanted, specifically NAV.
Now I am wondering what the best way to get Nav would be.
Not really excited about just buying a Garmin and having to sit it up on the dash and plug it in etc...

I wonder if I could go to jeep and have them remove my current radio system and just add the nav with radio system.
Or, if maybe a local place would be able to somehow integrate a decent Nav solution.
Has anyone else considered or done this ? Any thoughts or idea ( besides that I am stupid ) ?

Thanks,
floyd

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I like my hand-held Garmin unit and wouldn't want an in-dash nav system. It is a lot less expensive too. Some use the mapping function on their smart phones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello Fwellers

Installing a 6.5 radio unit with nav might be tricky. So many things are embedded, built into and controlled via the radio system and I dont think its that simple to just swap out units like it used to be in older vehicles

I remember back in the day everyone would remove the factory radio unit and install an aftermarket unit like a Pioneer or Jensen. LOL

You might be stuck with purchasing a Garmin or Tom Tom unit that mounts to windshield or dash or use your cell phone:(

anyone else have any ideas or opinions on this??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just plug in the iPhone and use the turn-by-turn voice directions. I've never needed to use the map interface and usually just keep the phone in the center console, but there's probably mounts you could use to set it up on the dash if you want the ability to check the screen while driving.

That said, I agree with you about the 6.5. I wish I'd opted for it just for the sake of having the best possible sound system--like someone else mentioned, I just assumed that the Kenwood head unit swap would be an easy upgrade one day.

Let us know if you come up with a solution--I really want to upgrade the audio as soon as possible, but right now the Renegade is so new to the market that the options seem somewhere between limited and non-existent.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the responses. Some good info.
I tried my android google maps app and it is real easy to get turn by turn directions.

So can you tell me, if I just plug the phone into the USB port under the radio will the turn by turn directions come through the speakers of the car ?
Do I need to select aux or something to do it ?
Or is there some other way ?

Thanks,
floyd

·
Registered
16 Posts
i was wondering the same thing if i got the nav radio from dealer would it work i asked the dealer and the service department guys told me it was best just to get an aftermarket radio because the 6.5 wouldn't fit due to having different wiring

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you guys for the responses. Some good info.

I tried my android google maps app and it is real easy to get turn by turn directions.

So can you tell me, if I just plug the phone into the USB port under the radio will the turn by turn directions come through the speakers of the car ?

Thanks,

floyd

You can plug the phone in either one of the USB ports and the turn by turn directions will come through the speakers. If you're playing music, podcasts, etc, off of your phone, the voiceover will come through audibly over whatever you're listening to whenever a turn needs to be made. Just press the "media" button on the side and then select your phone on the touchscreen (although it most likely will switch to your phone automatically when you plug it in).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I wish that Chrysler/Fiat would have Android Auto/Apple Carplay capability for the Renegade. They seem to be part of the group now, but that was back in 2014.
Spoiler
FIAT Chrysler Automobiles
“Becoming a member of the Open Automotive Alliance offers us a great opportunity to explore how we will bring a familiar set of Android features into our Chrysler Group, Abarth, Alfa Romeo and Fiat Uconnect systems globally. This membership will complement our mission to enable drivers to stay conveniently connected while keeping their hands on the wheel and their focus on driving.” -Alan Amici, Head of Uconnect Systems and Services, Chrysler Group LLC.

So far no sign of it in any of their vehicles.

As for using something else, I would love to see if the the current system can be replaced with the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Since it uses either Android or Apple. Only thing is that it can't be used with the steering wheel controls because there isn't a Metra Axxess ASWC-1 interface for the Renegade yet.

TS

Reactions: dontpanic13

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks,
floyd
I use the Bluetooth on my phone to stream music and if I need to use the Maps feature I can un-mute the turn-by-turn directions so that it will pause the music and tell me what to do. I have a USB cable in the center port just to keep the phone charged while playing music and/or GPS. I just push "media" and have the music play and the GPS works from there. No use using the port under the radio as it just says "not supported". I guess that is only for actually flash/jump drives or something, lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I didnt op for 6.5 either, but for a reason...

I planned on getting a new dash cam, but I wanted one of the all in one rear view mirror ones... dashcam/GPS/backup cam (already have but I suppose for those who got them base model)

·
Registered
40 Posts
i was in a similar situation with when i bought mine. it was the last one they had on the lot the first week they got to the dealer. and the only options i really wanted that were not on the car was roof rails and rack and blutooth. they told me that they could add both of them onto the car. they charged me a bunch of extra $$ for the parts. then a few weeks later they told me that they could not install the stock bluetooth. i speculate it was because it cost more then they thought to put it in (im currently still trying to get them money returned to me from the dealership) but i think you should be able to do it just depends on how much you really want to spend. and after the experience i have had with them trying to put on the roof rack i see how it could get expensive. if you order the roof rack from the factory its like an extra 500$ right now they are over 1100$ in just parts right now. i dont know why its such a big price difference to put it on after.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the Renegade I wanted did not have the Nav Unconect (2015 Latitude). Figured I could buy aftermarket and get the newest version from Kenwood that would have the Apple Carplay features coming out this April. However, after figuring out the 5.0 version, many of the settings for the car are in that system. Forward warning, lights, keyless entry, door locks etc.

Has anyone replaced their system with aftermarket? If so, what about the settings for the Renegade that seem to be built into the Uconnect?

Issues?

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Has anyone replaced their system with aftermarket? If so, what about the settings for the Renegade that seem to be built into the Uconnect?

Issues?
Quite a few posts asking/wondering this.

This person did get an aftermarket radio, but has decided to go back to stock:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/65-electronics-audio-lights/44970-radio-question.html

Here is a link in this post to a product that supposedly will allow you to keep uconnect vehicle settings:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...o-lights/44970-radio-question.html#post457754
(Don't think anyone here has done this yet.)

Another related thread:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...-lights/32873-uconnect5-0-radio-question.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't read through all of your replies, so this might be a repetitive point of view.

I read an article when researching vehicle purchases and one of the recommendations for saving money was skipping the NAV and buying one from an outside source. They suggested this could save you 200-300 dollars.

My current vehicle has a nav system and I have to say I have depended on it enough to make the 100 dollar upgrade I paid for it feasible. However, lately I've been using a Free APP called WAZE and I swear, I think I like it better. It even tells me when there is a cop ahead, debris on road, a car pulled over, accident, etc. etc.

Maybe give that a shot (or a similar app) before spending more money?

·
Registered
44 Posts
OutdoorGirl,

I love Waze as well. I use either that or Google maps. My only issue with using my phone is longer road trips where I lose cell coverage. I believe Google and Waze both still require cell service to continue to operate properly. On Android I found an app called co-pilot I believe. It downloads the maps to your phone and makes it act just like a TomTom or Garmin.

Blazer514

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.