Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Been watching the forum for getting close to a year now. Just a few years out of school, was excited for the Renny to be released. When it eventually was, I was a bit put out by the TH price, after all the hype about the base model "STARTING WITH A 1!" I didn't NEED a new car, so I dropped it.

Fast forward to present. I'm hoping to move out to Colorado soon, and I don't think my FWD 11 year old Corolla is going to cut it out there. Back to the research for a soft-roader. I've spent a lot of time in a Forester, really liked it. I really like the Outback as well. But there's just something about the Renny. Its fun, fresh, spunky. The TH (only model I'm considering) is better equipped for getting out into the wilderness than the Subies (and making sure you can get back again too)

But after revisiting the forums after a test drive yesterday, some of the horror stories are making me have second thoughts. Of all the people I know with Subaru's, zero problems. I don't know anyone with a Renegade personally, so I don't have any "second-hand" experience with them, but after reading about the many problems with FCA brands... I'm extremely hesitant. With all the normal expenses of just starting out, with a new car payment on top of it, I don't want to be paying extra to fix broken things on a brand new car. My head says Subaru my heart says Renny...

A few questions:
Are there any other CUV's I should be looking at? Not considering things along the lines of a Soul or Juke. I want to be able to take it up a muddy fire road without worry.

For those of you who have had problems, how much have you had to pay out of pocket? What warranty did you purchase?

Thank you so much for all your help

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would pay attention to the build-date of the Renegades. My Trailhawk has a build date of 5-15 (shown on the driver's door frame) and I've had absolutely no issues (right at 2000 miles). I suspect that most of the problem vehicles were built early on in production and later vehicles benefited from the problem reports and the assembly process was adjusted or computer programming was de-bugged. Just my 2 cents. I LOVE my Renegade!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't beleive that any has had to pay anything out of pocket yet since all of the issues that I have seen so far are covered under warranty. As logan5 mentioned most of the issues do appear to be with the earlier build dates. Here is a thread that takes a look Renegades that had issues and when they were built.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Take into consideration.... People report problems more than they report everything is A-OK. So you're going to see more problems reported here on the forums than positives or "everything is fine." So don't let their issues panic you. (But do take note. And many issues reported have had simple resolutions.)

And as logan5 stated, look at the build date. Definitely, earlier models will have more issues (look at the dates of the posts of people's problem reports too that can be an indicator of an earlier model or a later model). Also, if you can hold a few months, the 2016s will be out and more the kinks should be worked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi R3N3GAD3,

Yep, definitely taken that into consideration. But just the fact that there have been some pretty major, fairly common problems (thinking transmission problems) still makes me hesitate for a second.

Has there been any announcement on when the 2016's will be on sale? Also, on the build date, would I be able to ask for a model built after X? On the thread, I've noticed after 3/15 the problems seem to drop off significantly. I'd be more comfortable purchasing if I could say ok I'll take it if its built after a certain date. Assuming I don't order specifically what I want, which is probably what will happen.

Thanks all for your responses!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am a big Subaru fan too. I havnt owned one since 2013 when I traded the forester xt in on a Volvo XC90 when I found out we were having s 3rd kid.

I traded my 2015 challenger in on the Rene for the utility, price, mileage. 500'problem free miles so far.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi R3N3GAD3,

Yep, definitely taken that into consideration. But just the fact that there have been some pretty major, fairly common problems (thinking transmission problems) still makes me hesitate for a second.

Has there been any announcement on when the 2016's will be on sale? Also, on the build date, would I be able to ask for a model built after X? On the thread, I've noticed after 3/15 the problems seem to drop off significantly. I'd be more comfortable purchasing if I could say ok I'll take it if its built after a certain date. Assuming I don't order specifically what I want, which is probably what will happen.

Thanks all for your responses!
You can ask your dealer for anything! You're the consumer and can certainly demand they take build date into consideration. They may have recent builds on the lot and if not, they can certainly look for a recent build (2015 model) that meets your needs/specs and is already out there and then get it for you. (I they won't... find a more customer service oriented dealer.)

If you order, you will be getting a 2016 model so everything will be most up-to-date. But you will have to wait. And it seems no official release date has been set for the 2016s but best current estimate is that they will not hit the dealer lots until late this year (Nov/Dec). So if you're thinking of ordering or wanting a 2016 model, you're going to have to wait for it. So it's then best to order now so they can make sure to have what you want. Otherwise, you're just waiting for whatever happens to be dropped onto the dealer lot which may or may not be what you really want. (This is why I went ahead ordered mine yesterday - better to tell the dealer to get what I want instead of HOPING they will get it.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also added in the cold weather group and full spare tire.
I would have gotten Trailhawk, but it only comes in auto trans... I will never buy an automatic trans (until I'm too old and my knees give out on me, anyway). :)
LOL - I'm into the Social Security years but my knees still work. I just (a week ago) bought a 6-speed Sport in Omaha Orange and it is a hoot to drive - nimble, responsive and "I" get to choose the gear.

BTW - 465 miles, as of today, and getting 30.8 MPG with a 40/60 mix of city/highway.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi all!

Been watching the forum for getting close to a year now. Just a few years out of school, was excited for the Renny to be released. When it eventually was, I was a bit put out by the TH price, after all the hype about the base model "STARTING WITH A 1!" I didn't NEED a new car, so I dropped it.

Fast forward to present. I'm hoping to move out to Colorado soon, and I don't think my FWD 11 year old Corolla is going to cut it out there. Back to the research for a soft-roader. I've spent a lot of time in a Forester, really liked it. I really like the Outback as well. But there's just something about the Renny. Its fun, fresh, spunky. The TH (only model I'm considering) is better equipped for getting out into the wilderness than the Subies (and making sure you can get back again too)

But after revisiting the forums after a test drive yesterday, some of the horror stories are making me have second thoughts. Of all the people I know with Subaru's, zero problems. I don't know anyone with a Renegade personally, so I don't have any "second-hand" experience with them, but after reading about the many problems with FCA brands... I'm extremely hesitant. With all the normal expenses of just starting out, with a new car payment on top of it, I don't want to be paying extra to fix broken things on a brand new car. My head says Subaru my heart says Renny...

A few questions:
Are there any other CUV's I should be looking at? Not considering things along the lines of a Soul or Juke. I want to be able to take it up a muddy fire road without worry.

For those of you who have had problems, how much have you had to pay out of pocket? What warranty did you purchase?

Thank you so much for all your help
FYI, there was a time when Subaru had problems. Actually, they are still having problems. These reliability reputations aren't always based on fact, more to do with brand impressions than reality. Even Toyota and Honda have problems. The difference is how the manufacturer deals with problems and how they take care of their customers so that they feel good enough about coming back for seconds. This also has a lot to do with dealers and how willing they are to work with customers and the home office to resolve issues.

One example, a friend bought a brand new Outback wagon last year. After reading about a known oil consumption problem online he got worried and started monitoring his oil levels. Sure enough, he's got one of the bad ones. Took it back to the dealer and they initiated the process of getting him a new engine with as little as pain as possible.

All mass produce goods have issues (look at Apple and all the issues they've had in the past, granted some were overblown).

Based on the things I've seen here, Jeep does seem to be making a concerted effort at resolving problems and reports of serious problems since the early shipments seem to be less frequent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.