Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I would just like to say that I am LOVING my Renegade! I just took it to the car wash and when I got back, I noticed that the headlights are fogging up. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a matter of replacing headlights. Very easy fix. Would be very surprising if it took longer than a couple of hours, if that.
Thank you for the positive news! The only thing that I'm concerned about now is whether or not the local dealer (I purchased my Renegade two hours away from my home), will have the replacement headlights . . . will the labor be included as well?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thank you for the positive news! The only thing that I'm concerned about now is whether or not the local dealer (I purchased my Renegade two hours away from my home), will have the replacement headlights . . . will the labor be included as well?
Most likely they are going to have to order them. In order for them to replace them, they will have to repeat the problem- which could be a bigger problem than the problem its self. All parts and labor will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most likely they are going to have to order them. In order for them to replace them, they will have to repeat the problem- which could be a bigger problem than the problem its self. All parts and labor will be covered under warranty.
Thank you! This is my first Jeep and only my second NEW car, so this is still new to me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are we sure this is a defect? I mean if both headlights are fogging up, couldn't it be normal in a given situation with temperature variations? On my previous car the rear lights fogged up after washing and in the instruction manual it said that this was perfectly normal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Are we sure this is a defect? I mean if both headlights are fogging up, couldn't it be normal in a given situation with temperature variations? On my previous car the rear lights fogged up after washing and in the instruction manual it said that this was perfectly normal.
just to remind ... there are 2 rubber seals over the headlights back ... you have to remove them to change the Bulbs ... if you put the bulbs out ( yes that could be done when not lighting or so) the whole headlight is open from behind and wet air can stream in ... when the Bulb is installed and the seal is closed the wet air stays in the headlight and condensates when it gets colder ...

So to check wether the headlights are broken ... take out the bulbs, take an hairdryer and dry the ninside of the headlight, put the Bulb in and seal the headlight ... if they are fooging after this the headlight might be broken, if not just leave it and be happy ... :D>:D

·
Registered
602 Posts
just to remind ... there are 2 rubber seals over the headlights back ... you have to remove them to change the Bulbs ... if you put the bulbs out ( yes that could be done when not lighting or so) the whole headlight is open from behind and wet air can stream in ... when the Bulb is installed and the seal is closed the wet air stays in the headlight and condensates when it gets colder ...

So to check wether the headlights are broken ... take out the bulbs, take an hairdryer and dry the ninside of the headlight, put the Bulb in and seal the headlight ... if they are fooging after this the headlight might be broken, if not just leave it and be happy ... :D>:D
If you go back and reread the OP's questions he specifically states it happens AFTER HE GETS THE RENEGADE WASHED. This is also an off road vehicle, so you want the headlights sealed for water forging.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll add my .02 for what it's worth. First, I see that Jerry is located down here in SWFL, like me. It has been insanely humid lately, so that will only exacerbate any minimal moisture buildup inside the light; especially if the temperature difference between the water sprayed on the lights, and the lights themselves are different. Coming from the 2015 Mustang community, there were a lot of folks complaining of moisture buildup in their headlights and fog lights. Ford confirmed that this was acceptable and likely, due to the lights not being 100% sealed, for venting purposes. I would suggest (as mentioned earlier) checking the rubber boots/seals behind the lights to make sure they're fully seated. Also, though this is an offroad vehicle, it's only rated to ford 19" of water, which is well below the height of the headlights. I highly doubt the lights are designed to be completely sealed and impervious to water.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'll add my .02 for what it's worth. First, I see that Jerry is located down here in SWFL, like me. It has been insanely humid lately, so that will only exacerbate any minimal moisture buildup inside the light; especially if the temperature difference between the water sprayed on the lights, and the lights themselves are different. Coming from the 2015 Mustang community, there were a lot of folks complaining of moisture buildup in their headlights and fog lights. Ford confirmed that this was acceptable and likely, due to the lights not being 100% sealed, for venting purposes. I would suggest (as mentioned earlier) checking the rubber boots/seals behind the lights to make sure they're fully seated. Also, though this is an offroad vehicle, it's only rated to ford 19" of water, which is well below the height of the headlights. I highly doubt the lights are designed to be completely sealed and impervious to water.
Do you have fogging being in the same area? Out of all the cars I have had and makes the only time I have had fog in a headlight after washing was my Fiat 500 and that was after someone knocked a hole in the side of the housing (My lovely dealer).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have fogging being in the same area? Out of all the cars I have had and makes the only time I have had fog in a headlight after washing was my Fiat 500 and that was after someone knocked a hole in the side of the housing (My lovely dealer).
I do not, but I also did not experience any fogging in my Mustang lights like some did. I'm by no means saying that nothing is wrong with the OPs lights, and I'd be raising concern myself. Just wanted to point out that several factors could contribute to this, and we're not 100% sure if this moisture is considered acceptable by FCA (like Ford did with the Mustang).

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'll add my .02 for what it's worth. First, I see that Jerry is located down here in SWFL, like me. It has been insanely humid lately, so that will only exacerbate any minimal moisture buildup inside the light; especially if the temperature difference between the water sprayed on the lights, and the lights themselves are different.

I would suggest (as mentioned earlier) checking the rubber boots/seals behind the lights to make sure they're fully seated.
It is possible, even with the rubber boots/seals in place to get fogging. In the early 90's I was at a test range in Niceville, Florida testing a military camera for the aerospace company I worked for at the time. We had rubber boots/seals on it and it still fogged up at midnight, 90 degrees, 90% relative humidity.

I had to bring the camera back to California and redesign it to add a vacuum seal and then pull a vacuum to outgas it. An aerospace grade vacuum seal is the only way to assure there is no humidity pressure balance vapor transpiration. This is a little beyond commercial automotive technology once we move away from sealed incandescent headlights.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
If a car does that by design, it's a bad car. They should be sealed from the weather or you'll get mildew, oxidation, etc. from moisture buildup. This is from a mid-atalntic perspective where we get pretty bad humidity and large temperature shifts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We had fogging after rain on our 92 Grand Am's fog lights. It would go away if you ran the fogs all the time you run the main headlights. The dealer replaced them without issue and they never fogged again for the 10 years we kept it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If a car does that by design, it's a bad car. They should be sealed from the weather or you'll get mildew, oxidation, etc. from moisture buildup. This is from a mid-atalntic perspective where we get pretty bad humidity and large temperature shifts.
I can assure you that the Saab 9-5, which was my last car, is in no way a bad car. Saab was actually infamous for reengineering and redesigning inferior parts handed over to Saab from GM. There is a reason why the Saabs were superior to the Opels, Vauxhalls, Chevys, Saturns and Buicks which the Saabs where supposed to share their parts with.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.