Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

anyone else having problems with their heated seats?

I've heated cloth seats in my Limited and both seem very weak to me compared to my previous cars. Plus, and that's the most annoying thing, on the driver's side, after 15 minutes, the lights at the push button start flashing and the heater goes off.

This happens everytime I use it. The seat is hardly warm at all and the heater switches off already. Took it to the dealer, they told me the weak heating is normal and they are not really sure about the switching off problem. They checked a few things and "adjusted" the power input of the heating mat, made it a little more powerful to me, but it still switches off after 15 minutes. I can't swith it on right away, as the button flashes immediately.

Now they want to change the heating mat, but I feel they're not really sure if this will solve the problem and it is a quite extensive repair as the driver's seat needs to be taken out of the car, taken to the car upholsterer and the seat cover needs to be replaced.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Tobias

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm here in the USA, and have a 2015 Limited (9/2015 build date) with leather seats. I'm about 99% sure that the seater heaters (on my Jeep) do not cycle off automatically, or maybe I haven't reached the maximum ON time; in fact they get quite warm, and I turn them off. If I want, I can cycle them back on immediately.The driver and passenger seat both have high and low settings. Does your Limited have only one setting?

If by chance there is a safety temperature limit switch, maybe it is faulty; that's a big 'if' since I don't have an electrical diagram to look at.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I also have Hi/Low setting, but even if i switch it back to low after a few minutes, it goes off after 15 minutes. Defenitely not normal, but I wonder if it's really the heating mat...

Cheers
Tobias

·
Registered
394 Posts
Definitely not normal. Mine get so hot I have to turn them down. Not quite as good as my old BMW but way better than my wife's CX-5.

Also having heated seat issues but not related.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What my dealer told me is, that the cloth seats have weaker heating than leather seats, not sure if this is true.

Never tried sititng in the passenger seat with heater on actually, but my passengers tell me that they find it rather weak, too. If I switch it on on the passenger's side and feel the temperature with my hand after a few minutes, seems same as on the driver's side. But it doesn't turn off after 15 minutes as on the driver's side.

So seems I'm the only one with this problem - thought maybe someone else had the same problem and can giveany hints about what was done to their vehicle. But looks like I have to trust the dealership and see if changing the heat mat will fix it.

Thanks guys!

Best regards
Tobias

·
Registered
184 Posts
The seats and wheel will turn off after a certain amount of time. I forget what it is.

Try sitting in the passenger seat and see if it's better.
I checked my Limited yesterday. There is no time limit for the seat or steering wheel heat. I drove 40 minutes the first time, and the seat stayed on high heat the whole time. The second time I drove 1 1/2 hrs, and the seat stayed on again where I had it set to; that's both driver and passenger seat, and steering wheel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No time limit for me either in my Trailhawk with cloth seats. Steering wheel is 1 setting. Both front seats are 2 settings. It takes a bit to get toasty, but they get warm enough. My back will start to sweat a bit with a jacket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Latitude with cloth seats. The high setting gets too hot for my taste. I usually stick to the low setting, but I am in New Orleans so it doesn't get very cold. Earlier this week it was 36 degrees and when I started the vehicle the driver seat and steering wheel would not come on. The passenger side worked though. I had to restart the engine a few times to get the drivers seat and steering wheel to work correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi folks,

my heating mat was changed today and what should I say, the difference is enormous. The new one warms up much quicker and becomes much warmer than the old one. Doesn't switch off after 15 minutes too, but actually, it's so warm that I don't need it on for 15 minutes now. So the old one was obviously broken.

I'll check for the passenger's side now, passengers tell me, it's not very warm, but doesn't have the switching off problem. Now I can compare...

Best regards
Tobias

·
Registered
2 Posts
i also have a 2015 jeep renegade limited. the leather driver's seat gets barely warm and then shuts off. brought to dealer and they checked the seat connector...still not warm. or hot.
jim

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i have the cloth seats - the heat is way hotter then my other autos with leather seats that i had - there is a timer

Push the heated seat button once to turn the HI

• Push the heated seat button a second time to turn the LO setting

• Push the heated seat button a third time to turn the heating elements OFF.

If the HI-level setting is selected, the system will automatically
switch to LO-level after approximately 145 minutes of continuous operation.
so if u fiddle with the settings you change the timer

At that time, the display
will change from HI to LO, indicating the change.
The LO-level setting will turn OFF automatically after approximately 60 minutes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My heated leather seats take around 15 mins to be very warm on the high setting. I could feel the warmth almost immediately on previous cars. The heated steering wheel makes up for that tho, defo warmth almost from the off when switched on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Elf883 writes "so if u fiddle with the settings you can change the timer". I'm wondering if this is the issue I've been having. The heated seats drop from high to low on my Renegade in about 15 minutes. I don't recall coming across any heated seat settings. Do you know how I can find these settings to address the issue and get it back to 145 minutes before it drops to the low level?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey im having the same problem with my passenger seat. i took it to the dealer and they said it was fine. But when i got home in 16 degree weather it still didn't work. Now my seats are covered under my bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. The only prob is i get charged $100 every time i take it in for warranty work. is that fare?
Dave

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Elf883 writes "so if u fiddle with the settings you can change the timer". I'm wondering if this is the issue I've been having. The heated seats drop from high to low on my Renegade in about 15 minutes. I don't recall coming across any heated seat settings. Do you know how I can find these settings to address the issue and get it back to 145 minutes before it drops to the low level?

i dont think there is a heated seat setting the owner can access - maybe the dealer can

my seats get so darn hot its crazy, but i love it for my back so its great !

like i said the heated seats run lets say u set to hi - and do not touch the button - it should run 145 minutes on hi - then it will switch to low by itself and run for 60 minutes

if yours are turning off at 15 min or switching then there is something weird going on

there is a utube video from the factory showing what i wrote - i may be off a few minutes or 2 but it should not change at 15 minutes - my seats dont switch as my drive to work isnt long enough , and its been rather warm after i get out of work not to need to use the seats heat

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
the steering wheel also is timed - this is from the owner manual

Heated Steering Wheel — If Equipped
The steering wheel contains a heating element that helps
warm your hands in cold weather. The heated steering
wheel has only one temperature setting. Once the heated
steering wheel switch has been turned on, it will
operate for up to 100 minutes before automatically
shutting off. The heated steering wheel can shut off
early or may not turn on when the steering wheel is
already warm. The heated steering wheel control
button is located on the center of the instrument panel
below the radio screen.
Auto Comfort Systems — If Equipped
In vehicles equipped with Auto on Comfort, when turning
on the vehicle the heated steering wheel will automatically
turn ON when temperatures are below 40° F
(4.4° C).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, something weird is definitely going on. My entire Uconnect system suddenly tuned off 5 or 6 times today while I was driving and restarted. The touchscreen even froze a couple of times after it restarted and I attempted to touch the screen. I'm guessing it's some kind of electrical issue. I'm hoping it's nothing severe. I've heard horror stories about ongoing electrical issues on Jeeps. My Renegade is only a month old, with 1,000 miles. I'll be calling the service department at my dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is apparently still an issue. We are 4 months into a 2017 Renegade, leather seats, and we have this same issue. The dealer has had it for several days and they say they get conflicting codes from it. Most say there is nothing wrong, but that "a strange code keeps popping up" that they can't explain. They have replaced the heating element, but still very slow to heat and the heat level is barely noticeable. So frustrating. The heated seats in my 2018 Wrangler Sport JL work awesome, so it's not all Jeeps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.