Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a trailhawk and Im looking to do a lift and bigger tires. Im aware ill most likely get a decrease in gas mileage which im fine with. Im worried that with an automatic transmission adding an additional 10+ lbs per tire will put additional stress on the automatic transmission, decreasing the life of it. Im aware 10lbs doesnt seem like a lot per tire but 10lbs per tire of rotating mass seems like a lot when you think about the the extra kinetic energy is require to get the tires moving and the additional energy needed to stop, as well as the added friction. Am I being crazy for thinking like this? Can someone help me understand why this does or doesn't matter for our Jeeps. Thanks!

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's tons of threads discussing tire size and such. There are just a couple... Lots of people have done the Dload 8 ply BFG KO2. No issues other than mpg loss. And slight noise increase. Find someone at 20,000+ and see if they haven't seen any odd issues w/ increase in weight

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/353-trailhawk/12058-wheels-tire-specs.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...wk-all-terrain-t-tire-wheel-alternatives.html
I was actually considering the K02's and was one of the main reasoning behind my questions. Everyone on here says "its only 44 lbs... thats no worse then carrying around 44 lbs in the trunk". To me thats not a valid argument considering thats sprung weight vs rotational mass... I just want some legitimate information that its ok. I just dont want to prematurely kill my jeep by adding better tires.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I was actually considering the K02's and was one of the main reasoning behind my questions. Everyone on here says "its only 44 lbs... thats no worse then carrying around 44 lbs in the trunk". To me thats not a valid argument considering thats sprung weight vs rotational mass... I just want some legitimate information that its ok. I just dont want to prematurely kill my jeep by adding better tires.
IT might cause wear, but I suspect that the bits worth being concerned about aren't the transmission. It's rated to more than twice the torque the 2.4 can put out. It's also only 6lbs heavier than the Cherokee trailhawk OEM tire.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the BFH KO2's on mine. They are quite a bit heavier than the factory Wrangler SR-A's but I've had them on there a few thousand miles with no issues yet. Increased road noise from tires, but overall steering/braking/acceleration have not suffered like i thought they would. Still get great MPG, although it is down slightly. Overall I would def recommend them to any Renegade owner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone think that adding K02's will void the Jeep extended warranty (Jeep maximum care)?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the BFH KO2's on mine. They are quite a bit heavier than the factory Wrangler SR-A's but I've had them on there a few thousand miles with no issues yet. Increased road noise from tires, but overall steering/braking/acceleration have not suffered like i thought they would. Still get great MPG, although it is down slightly. Overall I would def recommend them to any Renegade owner.
How are the KO2s 3 months later?

Any regrets? I'm torn between them and the GEOLANDAR A/T-S.

·
Registered
140 Posts
IT might cause wear, but I suspect that the bits worth being concerned about aren't the transmission. It's rated to more than twice the torque the 2.4 can put out. It's also only 6lbs heavier than the Cherokee trailhawk OEM tire.
I agree, I don't think the weight should be an issue for the transmission either. If anything, I would think the smaller things would wear before the trans did.

Also, to the point of weight, the Limiteds come with 18" wheels and run the same transmission. Id be curious to see how much difference there would be between the factory 18s and the factory 17s with KO2.

·
Registered
715 Posts
How are the KO2s 3 months later?

Any regrets? I'm torn between them and the GEOLANDAR A/T-S.
I have the ATSs. My 2nd set, best wet weather Allterrain I've seen. (I sell tires and have been for the last 9 years)

Now I don't have the KO2s yet, but I have driven many a truck or suv with them on. I can expect the actual ride isn't horrible, but stiffer than the ATS would be. Being a 8 ply tire, sidewall deflection would be less on the BFG, and more so on the ATS. Just pure sidewall flex or the lack there of. I doubt it'll make a huge difference other than comfort and turning/bumpy road response. Off road, I expect, will be the difference. Actual grip, and side wall resistance to chipping or cutting will be no contest, the BFG is made and tested with this in mind.

Early July I will be off-roading with Wall-e (his TH) and we can literally test the 2 side by side off-road. I'm really looking forward to taking my TH off-road along side a twin of mine... Except his is running a lift and I'm not ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
ReneSpaz, I am still loving the BFG KO2's but have thought about going to a Geolander to gain a little height...Honestly I would recommend these tires to anyone tho! Amazing!
What size for more height?
Do you have lift, spacers, etc.?

I'm still stock, so looking at all options: tires, lift, rock rails & other Rocky Road gear, etc. So any info on how to do 'better' is helpful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.