Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duffy0401 already did the introduction of our Colorado Red trailhawk. So far we love it with sbout 150 miles on it in two days and over a half a tank left of dealer gas. MPG's average is slowly crawling upwards but still in the mid to high teens. Interested in knowing what others are getting with the 2.4.

The buying experience was interesting to say the least. I heavily researched the vehicle well beforehand but sales people at various dealers knew nothing. I understand it's a new rollout but they had access to the same info I did so why not research what your trying to sell? One sales guy said to me "could you ask me a question I know the answer to"? I'm thinking ok.. How many years have you've been doing this? Lol. When we sat for negotiating they wouldn't do much. He laid his figured on his desk and we said ok thanks.. Can I have that? He said no. I asked why and he said "cause it's a legal document". What!? Then he came out with it... "So what your going to take this somewhere else and have them beat it"? Isn't that what consumers do? Especially for a purchase like that? He wouldn't give it to us but he did over to write things down. What he did write down were redundant package and options on a scrap piece of paper with nothing else. We said thank you and left.. Our feet couldn't move fast enough!

Next dealer I called had a few just not the color we wanted. We will call him "fog lights". Fog lights was very pleasant to initially talk on the phone to. I said this guy sounds like a winner lets go see him. Knowing he doesn't know as much as I do we just wanted to go on a more thorough test drive. This is where I learned he was at the least socially awkward. What I didn't know till later was that he was new to selling cars and hadn't dealt with people before. So eventually I wrote off the personality differences and stuck with the new questions that came to mind as we went along and gave him the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to like this guy. He just made it more and more difficult. Enter "fog lights". I got into a discussion about the large prominent "fog" lights on the trailhawk. I said a true fog light is actually yellow. They cut through the fog a lot better than white light does. These are essentially driving or proximity lights to fill in the space from where your headlights first touch the ground to the bumper. The fog light term was adopted to identify all lights lower than the headlights. Some vehicles even just use them as a low watt accent lighting for esthetics and don't really do nothing at all. The TH however are very much functional for brightening up the far corners of the vehicle especially while turning. He would have none of that explanation. They were fog lights and that was that. We learned later he was the sales managers brother who brought him in from his mothers basement. That is no lie. Let's call the sales manager the "closer".

After the fog light discussion with the same they tracked down an inbound TH that was pretty close to what we were looking for. Negotiating this deal was easy. They came back with w great figure. I asked him too.. Can we have this? Absolutely! He made a copy of the window sticker with the new figures and gave it to us. They laughed when I told him about it being a "legal document".

Moving on.. The inbound was bought before it got off the truck. So we lost it. When we went in to order one we were told at least 4 months to delivery. We then looked at the Colorado Red TH on the lot. It wasn't the Omaha Orange or the blue one we wanted but this red is a actually nicer in person than what I've seen online. We drove this one too. It was the same msrp as the previous but when we went to crunch numbers we were surprised to learn the price was higher than previously quoted. When I asked him why he said it was a new month. He then called himself out and said it was the same month and said basically he didn't know why. I asked him to find out. He annoyingly got up and left and came back with an unarticulated answer as to why we were paying a grand more. Ignoring that we moved onto extended warranty. We got that quote from Clay in Kansas (whom we read about on here) for a lifetime max warrantee at a ridiculously low price. When we asked him for the same he thought we lost our mind. Turns out there is no lifetime warrantee available in the mid Atlantic area. They had 60/100 for much more than what Clay in Kansas would give us for lifetime. He smugly said "well I guess you have to believe everything you read on the internet right.. I guess you'll have to call Kansas". By this time we were not friends. We almost walked. I sternly told him not to talk to us like that. I can't help it you have two people in front of you who actually got their **** together. We agreed to buy the vehicle and we're going to get the extended with clay.

We left to go home to clean out the trade and get the title as they prepped the vehicle. We came back and were met with the closer and fog lights. Fog lights didn't mutter a word. I'm almost positive he was told not to lol. Talking with the closer who is fog lights older brother was nothing short of pleasant. He was very well spoken and above all clear on everything. He told us the first couple of weeks the renegade had a cash incentive dealers could use to get them on the road so the public could see them. Due to time passed from initial contact the incentive was no longer available. He made it up by giving us more for our trade. Not only did he do that but he got on the horn with a Chrysler rep before we got there and authorized the lifetime max warranty through mopar at clays price! We were amazed but not nearly as much as we were at closing. He learned we are getting married this Saturday abs needed to rent a minivan for the family that is staying with us. He said nonsense.. I will give you one right off the lot! For free! Bring it back anytime. Dude your amazing. Thank you so much!!

He then told us he was letting us kick his brothers ass cause he needed it. The car sales he had were easy so he let him go so he knew it wouldn't always be so. We said dude had us 1 foot out the door at times. He knew that. So the closer saved him.

Anyways that was our experience lol. Now we just need a trailer hitch which is a whole different thread and headache from the postings I've seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sadly that experience of coming across some uninformed sales person is all too common, it's rare to see someone in sales that actually know who they're selling and stay in the loop of what they're selling or will be selling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings from PA as well!

Greetings! What dealership did you walk away from? Based off of your picture, it looks like you bought your vehicle from TriCounty Chrysler Dodge and Jeep in Pottstown right by the Sanatoga exit. If that's where you bought it from I'm glad to hear someone had a decent experience with them because I didn't. I took my family there just to look at the TH Renegade with the hopes of test driving one a few weeks back. One of the salesmen approached us and gave me a bad vibe from the start. He thought he was witty but came off rude. He had no knowledge of the vehicle. He took us around the building where he said they just pulled a TH off the truck earlier in the day. It was an Anvil TH. He really didn't give us much time to look around in it. As he hovered over us he gave me the keys and said start her up. Attempted to start it and it was dead. Tried again, nothing. He thought I was doing something wrong as if I had never started a vehicle before. I asked him if there was gas in it? I know nothing about the shipping process. He embarrassed me in front of my wife and my kid. Long story short, he had us go inside, then came from the back of the shop to tell us that he wasn't supposed to show us that vehicle. That specific vehicle had a fuel injector issue and they had to rig it to get it off the truck. Whatever that meant.

I came back a week later when I saw more Renegades on the lot. I went back up to the same one and the same guy came out to talk to me. All smiles and giggles he wanted to let me know that it wasn't a fuel injector issue, the vehicle had no gas in it. So did he straight up lie to me and when? What was the real issue? I smiled at the guy, said thanks for his time and left.

After that experience I'm not sure if I want to go back to that dealership. I'll probably end up traveling out to Jeff Dambrosio.

·
Registered
85 Posts
An informed consumer = a salesman's worst nightmare. Salesman are good at selling things. Being a car salesman DOES NOT mean you know your product or the competition, it just means you're good at selling things. Sure, a GREAT salesman knows his product, his customer, and his competition, but great salesman are few and far between. What dealer did you end up buying at?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tri-County.. After the manager who ended up being the salesmans brother stepped in. He turned everything around and thanked us for kicking his brothers ass in the meantime. He went above and beyond cause he knew we were severely annoyed by then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.