Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Hello Everybody!

3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Vivi 
#1 ·
New member here, hoping to pick up a 2019 Trailhawk sometime before the end of the month!

I've been looking over the forums the past couple of days and thought it best I introduce myself to you all.

I'm purchasing this vehicle to replace a PHEV Saloon and hoping it will be suitable for a family car plus satisfy my camping and potentially greenlaning in time to come.

I was a little disappointed to see that EU regulations prevent our trailhawks from having twin front 'tow' hooks. Am i right in thinking it would also be illegal to fit a second hook retrospectively?

Also is there a handy list of other renegade websites / forums i should be aware of. I notice there are lots of people from the USA, i'm from England myself.

I'm waffling now, i hope to hear from many of you soon and will be sure to update with any news plus pictures when i eventually receive my vehicle!

Vivi

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, good luck with your puchase. There is a wealth of information here and if you use the search feature on topics about the Trailhawk you are interested in you should find it. That always surprised me about the towhooks in the EU. At least you still have the rear hook. There is a Renegade Facebook group, don't know anything about it, there is also a Reddit group which I have followed a little. This forum is about the best as far as I am concerned.

#6 ·
Vivi, you are not waffling. That's me that does that :p:p:p

I'm from Scotlands true Capital city and that ain't Edinburgh :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but fear not, as there are becoming more and more UK users joining the forum and staying. It is certainly by far the best Jeep forum I have found (see what I mean about waffling)

Keep in mind that you will be proud of your new shiny Jeep but we want to see the really dirty pictures as well. The dirtier the better, especially if you are green laning. The mud needs to be dripping off the Jeep with cow pats all over the place (y)(y)(y)

#10 ·
Hi again,

I did use the search feature but couldn't find an answer:

When I left foot brake whilst driving I notice that the gas loses input until i release the gas pedal and reapply. I can get around this by just using my right foot for both brake and gas but am wondering if there is something wrong with the car or whether its known about by other drivers.

#11 ·
Vivi that is beautiful shade of blue you have. Is it metallic? :love:

I see that you are also in the UK like me as you are flying the Jack as your country of origin. Are you driving a manual or automatic?

UK vehicles are fitted with right-hand drive meaning (for the sake of non UK drivers) that with an Automatic we use only our right foot for driving. With a manual (stick) change we use right foot for accelerator and brake and the left foot for the clutch.

I am confused as you use your left foot to brake. This suggests that you are in a left-hand drive Jeep. Possibly you are from the US or any other left hand drive country and that would make sense with the left foot. (It's not the first time the flag is showing incorrectly for the registered country).

Please, please let me be wrong but a horrible thought just occured to me. I trust you are not driving an automatic Jeep using both feet? I am now really confused and am sitting at the desk doing driving motions to get a better understanding of what you are doing and none of it is making any sense :cry::cry::cry:

#12 ·
Hi Puddlesplasher,

Yes i'm in the UK, south London to be more precise. I do indeed drive with both feet and when driving home yesterday it did occur to me that perhaps this vehicle doesn't like having both inputs used simultaneously so i went to using single foot driving and all was well. This is my 3rd automatic car and this is the first that's ever grumbled about it so was just wondering whether it was intended or not.

#13 ·
Phew Vivi :love:

Best practice with an Automatic and it is a well recommended practice is to take your left foot and cross it to the back of your right foot. Your right foot is the ONLY foot that does the driving EVER in any automatic vehicle.

Often there is a small footrest situated to the left of the brake pedal for resting your left foot upon.

You have just experienced a normal function of driving an automatic. Pressing the brake reduces acceleration and revs of the engine and ultimately reduces your speed. Then by pressing the accelerator your jeep starts accelerating.

However please dont press both pedals at the same time. Unless you want to be like a boy racer with the engine screaming and going nowhere. Heaven help you if you try that combination when emergency braking and don't stop but accelerate up the rear end of the vehicle in front.

I feel that your Jeep is behaving properly.

#14 ·
However please dont press both pedals at the same time. Unless you want to be like a boy racer with the engine screaming and going nowhere. Heaven help you if you try that combination when emergency braking and don't stop but accelerate up the rear end of the vehicle in front.
This is probably a habit i've picked up, however even if i was to use both pedals at the same time, the Jeep doesn't appear to react at all to the gas pedal being used and the rev's dont increase.

#15 ·
That's because your foot is on the brake and stopping the Jeep from moving.

Do you fly at all perhaps going on holiday?

The Jet at the end of the runway sits there with the pilot "On the brakes". They increase the revs of the engines and you feel the plane vibrating. The revs at this point allow for a really quick acceleration along the runway but nothing is happening. Then the brakes are released and the plane rushes along the runway at an incredible accelaration speed.

That is exactly what you are doing in your automatic cars/Jeep by depressing both pedals at the same time. :eek:🚙✈🚀

#16 ·
Just went for a short drive to clarify with myself.
What you describe is like using launch control. This is fine with my jeep, what I experience is when driving if i just tap the brake pedal whilst maintaining pressure on the gas pedal, my rev counter drops to idle revs and the gas pedal no longer gives any feedback until i fully depress the gas and press again.

#18 ·
Wow! Is this a serious post? 😂 your jeep will expire very soon if you use both feet in an automatic. As puddle splashed said, pretend your left leg has been amputated and ONLY EVER USE YOUR RIGHT FOOT. you should only ever be coasting, braking or accelerating. NEVER EVER brake and accelerate at the same time. Did you get your driving licence in a Christmas cracker?

#22 ·
Hi Sylo, agreed are we not that there may be a reason to use both feet as you describe. It's not the using of 2 feet it's about the way in which they are used to drive.

When I left foot brake whilst driving I notice that the gas loses input until i release the gas pedal and reapply. I can get around this by just using my right foot for both brake and gas but am wondering if there is something wrong with the car or whether its known about by other drivers.
I think everyone was quite taken aback and was offering Vivi advice on why the brakes and accelerator should not be pressed at the same time. It was only a lot of concern for Vivi's personal safety. (y)(y)(y)

#23 ·
I gave up trying to describe the issue i was having.

I don't drive with both my feet pressing down on pedals as if i were in a pedal boat. However i have noticed that if i do happen to engage both pedals (no matter how briefly) the gas pedal is immediately disengaged. I've never noticed this with any of my previous automatic vehicles and for the person who made a comment about where i learned to drive it was when i was training for the British Army. Albeit it was a civilian company that taught us, we were learning manual transmissions and it took 4 days.

I have since adjusted my driving style to more suit the character of this vehicle, my main concern was that it was behaving differently from the automatic vehicles I've owned in the past and unfortunately i'm still none the wiser.

#24 ·
Vivi, it was your driving style that was called into question for driving an automatic with 2 feet.

The Army taught you to drive a manual vehicle and for that you ALWAYS use 2 feet or at least that's how they taught me to drive trucks ;). However an automatic only needs 1 foot to drive with, unless like Sylo there is an underlying health condition but adaptive methods to the vehicle can solve that. That's for a different topic if ever it's raised.

What I personally am concerned about and trying to emphasis to you is that with no disablity like Sylo states then you will have no need whatsoever to put both feet on both pedals at the same time EVER. Please, just don't do it. It's not even the way that drivers under tuition of automatic vehicles are taught. It is a poor and bad practice that was learned by you alone. It is downright dangerous and should be avoided if possible.

Why on earth you would ever dream of doing this in any of your other automatic vehicles is mind boggling if there is no disability.

Tell you what. I have welcomed you and I have tried very hard to explain the simple concept of driving an automatic vehicle. I shall chat no more on the subject for fear of being called into disrepute as I fear I am being trolled.

#25 ·
I do not doubt that using both feet is NOT the correct practice for driving a vehicle. I also thought I made it quite clear that I have since changed my driving style. My only concern at raising this topic was to clarify whether it's normal for a vehicle to behave like it does when it senses both inputs at a time. It's entirely possible that this is a safety feature which none of my previous vehicles have had.

Calling me out for being a troll because i'm unable to articulate myself well enough to be understood is a little frustrating.

#28 ·
Funnily enough I did have to take my car to the dealers today as driving my car to work this morning for the first time I saw the engine management light illuminate.
Dealer has said the DPF Sensor needs replacing so i'll get that sorted tomorrow I guess once they have the part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.