Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
Let's see some pictures of that swap/upgrade!

You and me both about the AlfaOBD. That can get confusing and can get you into trouble... quick. I know, from personal experience!

Just upgraded the cluster from the black and white to the 7" TFT Color on the '19
Trying to figure out all the settings in alfaobd to see what we can all actually do with it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Welcome!

You and me both about the AlfaOBD. That can get confusing and can get you into trouble... quick. I know, from personal experience!
You mentioned that in the other thread. How exactly did you get into trouble with AlfaOBD, and how would you recommend staying out of it?

Was that the "proxy alignment" you did (which I still don't understand what that is...)?

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
HA! Just realized that I'm talking to you in the other thread as well. My fault for not paying attention.

Somehow during another proxy-alignment Alfa lost communication with the car's ECU and all sorts of horrible thing happened after that requiring me to pull the negative cable from the battery overnight to "reset" the ECU. The car was immobile after that failure and scared the hell out of me - I thought I seriously damaged the car.

Proxi Alignment Definition

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Somehow during another proxy-alignment Alfa lost communication with the car's ECU and all sorts of horrible thing happened after that requiring me to pull the negative cable from the battery overnight to "reset" the ECU. The car was immobile after that failure and scared the hell out of me - I thought I seriously damaged the car.

Proxi Alignment Definition
I realize that site doesn't specifically cover the Renegade. But the definition of proxy alignment (or proxi alignment) is useful.

So from what I understand, that's when you change or add a major component on the vehicle, and the vehicle's computers/modules can't communicate with one another any more.

I don't intend to be doing that. :whistle:

In any case, you say it's not a fatal fault; proxy alignment can be done with AlfaOBD and the "grey" adapter...?

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
In my use case scenario and YMMV, Alfa asked me to attach the gray adapter during the proxi alignment. Others here have reported it not asking for the gray adapter so, I'm thinking depending on what module is removed from the vehicle depends on whether the gray adapter needs to be attached? I am just spit-balling here but that seems plausible.

In my case I removed the factory radio and needed to complete that proxi alignment procedure.

So, never say never that you won't ever be doing it. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
So, never say never that you won't ever be doing it. :sneaky:
True that. But my Uconnect 4C NAV is so integrated with all the systems on the Trailhawk :rolleyes: , that I can't see replacing it with anything aftermarket.

I'm definitely not planning on getting wheels and tires of a different diameter.

And I don't screw around significantly with my cars otherwise.

But at least I'll have the "grey" adapter if needed... And yes, hopefully AlfaOBD lets me know that I need to...

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
My headunit was integrated into my vehicle as well but, I hated the OEM screen. I took a gamble on this headunit and couldn't be happier! I've kept all the stock systems / settings from the factory on the new headunit - so no issues there at all and I gained a ton of extra features. The 10" screen looks absolutely glorious in the dash! lol

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Well, OK... A 10" screen would be tempting...

o_O No! Get behind me, Satan! I'm very happy with my 8.4" screen...

I just wish the sound system would play all the folders and tracks on my Mp3 drive in order, not just one folder at a time...

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
I can plug my USB drive into the Jeep's AUX port and have no issues playing MP3 or FLAC audio files at all in any shuffle order I see fit with this headunit. 🤪

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I can plug my USB drive into the Jeep's AUX port and have no issues playing MP3 or FLAC audio files at all in any shuffle order I see fit with this headunit. 🤪
Well, I don't want to hijack xkylemattcolex's thread any more. Can we jump this subject over to my thread, where I'd first brought his up? See Post #134 here:

New Trailhawk Is Finally Here | Page 7 | Jeep Renegade Forum

And I'm continuing below that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's see some pictures of that swap/upgrade!

And agree, Alfa is quite confusing as there is really no lists for the Renegade but my dealers shop manager uses It so he has been a help. I changed my country from UK to US and it disabled my transmission lol.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
I'm just simply trying to stop my parking brake from automatically engaging when I place the vehicle in "P". It's driving me insane!!! One wrong move in Alfa attempting to do that and my vehicle was D.O.A. for a day waiting for the ECU battery to drain so I could attempt to fix my mess up.

Sounds like you have a pretty damn good relationship with that dealer of your. That's great then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just simply trying to stop my parking brake from automatically engaging when I place the vehicle in "P". It's driving me insane!!! One wrong move in Alfa attempting to do that and my vehicle was D.O.A. for a day waiting for the ECU battery to drain so I could attempt to fix my mess up.

Sounds like you have a pretty damn good relationship with that dealer of your. That's great then.
It is in your radio settings under brakes

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
87 Posts
Swapped out my Headunit to aftermarket and currently in conversation with their engineers as to why that option isn't present in their new radio settings menu. To be honest, that option was never in the OEM radio settings either. This just started to 'engage' after swapping out the headunit.

I tried to disable it all together from within Alfa itself but, that's when I ran into the issue which required me to pull the negative battery cable and let it sit overnight. I'm not too keen to go back into Alfa again at this point - I'd rather be annoyed at hitting the parking brake button every time I stop then fry my ECU and need a new one. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Swapped out my Headunit to aftermarket and currently in conversation with their engineers as to why that option isn't present in their new radio settings menu. To be honest, that option was never in the OEM radio settings either. This just started to 'engage' after swapping out the headunit.

I tried to disable it all together from within Alfa itself but, that's when I ran into the issue which required me to pull the negative battery cable and let it sit overnight. I'm not too keen to go back into Alfa again at this point - I'd rather be annoyed at hitting the parking brake button every time I stop then fry my ECU and need a new one. lol
Yeah, can't blame you there. I've always had that enabled though lol, saves on the transmission when parking on hilly areas which is abundant up where I am.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts