Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey welcome to the boards!!! what do you know about the 9 speed?
A lot. It's a great albeit misunderstood unit that holds a lot of promise. Once they get the few teething problems behind them it'll be smooth sailing! The trick is getting the hardware people and the software people on the same page. They are pretty much there now!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Goooooooooood Question!

Howdy!

Very specific technical question: do the UConnect 3.0 & 5.0 head units have active telematics (embedded or module) broadcasting any data via the Sprint network, even if owners don't subscribe to UConnect Access services?
Depending on the telematics this could be very good, or very bad. Thanks for asking about it. I reread my paperwork and found nothing that even remotely says that this is allowed. I'm having a buddy of mine that's an attorney review my purchase contract to make sure I didn't just miss it.

I do information security for a living. I'd like to know which version of uConnect includes the patch for the recently identified vulnerability. I can't find anything that gives this out, and I want to know for certain that I have a version of uConnect that is protected. When I go to the website and put in my VIN I am told that there is no update. That does NOTHING to make me feel comfortable with an exploit that can take over my vehicle remotely.

Slightly above and left of the break pedal there is a rubber seal. Does this go through to the engine compartment? Where does it come out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome RenegadeTech, can you please give us more of an introduction, are you an FCA employee, did you work on the Renegade development, if so in what area, etc.
I am merely a dealer tech, however I am Level 3 across the board, (Top of the training), Viper, Prowler, Crossfire and Sprinter certified. I've also got a few Hellcat customers that ask for me if that says anything about my credentials. I love new tech and the Renegade bristles with it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Howdy!

Very specific technical question: do the UConnect 3.0 & 5.0 head units have active telematics (embedded or module) broadcasting any data via the Sprint network, even if owners don't subscribe to UConnect Access services?
I'm unsure if any data transfer takes place if unsubscribed. I'm sure there is a "call home" feature if someone were to want to subscribe or register. Outside of this I seriously doubt any data transfer would take place other than subscription data/authorization requests.

Just like a cellphone, it'll broadcast and find a tower, but no useable info can be transferred.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Depending on the telematics this could be very good, or very bad. Thanks for asking about it. I reread my paperwork and found nothing that even remotely says that this is allowed. I'm having a buddy of mine that's an attorney review my purchase contract to make sure I didn't just miss it.

I do information security for a living. I'd like to know which version of uConnect includes the patch for the recently identified vulnerability. I can't find anything that gives this out, and I want to know for certain that I have a version of uConnect that is protected. When I go to the website and put in my VIN I am told that there is no update. That does NOTHING to make me feel comfortable with an exploit that can take over my vehicle remotely.

Slightly above and left of the break pedal there is a rubber seal. Does this go through to the engine compartment? Where does it come out?
All I know is if you run your vin through Uconnect's portal and it comes back with nothing, it means your are at the current software level available. This changes day to day, and sometimes unannounced so checking periodically for fresh stuff isn't a bad idea.

If you're alluding to the "hacking", that Cherokee was loaded. It had Lane assist, Collision mitigation and an RA4 radio. I'm not sure the RA2 is even capable of the same exploits.

The rubber seal is likely for the manual equipped Renegades. There sometimes are similar holes on the passenger side for the wrong side drivers of the world. ;)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I am merely a dealer tech, however I am Level 3 across the board, (Top of the training), Viper, Prowler, Crossfire and Sprinter certified. I've also got a few Hellcat customers that ask for me if that says anything about my credentials. I love new tech and the Renegade bristles with it!
Awesome! Glad you're here.

I assume you work on Challengers too. I have a Scat Pack. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice to have you aboard. I have noticed a few replies to posts which you have already made and your info seems to be really great. Welcome and look forward to seeing your future comments on others' posts. Welcome.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All I know is if you run your vin through Uconnect's portal and it comes back with nothing, it means your are at the current software level available. This changes day to day, and sometimes unannounced so checking periodically for fresh stuff isn't a bad idea.

If you're alluding to the "hacking", that Cherokee was loaded. It had Lane assist, Collision mitigation and an RA4 radio. I'm not sure the RA2 is even capable of the same exploits.

The rubber seal is likely for the manual equipped Renegades. There sometimes are similar holes on the passenger side for the wrong side drivers of the world. ;)
Thanks man. I appreciate the response.

I am curious if you know...

The uConnect website is based off of the VIN. There are several vehicles that have a bad checksum in the VIN. I have a vehicle that has a 0 as the ninth character. My insurance company has not been able to find my vehicle. I received no notice that the vehicle had a bad VIN. Is there a place I can go to see if my VIN is one that is effected?

If it is a bad VIN, I assume that the uConnect site isn't going to know if my uConnect is up to date (even though it says it is)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man. I appreciate the response.

I am curious if you know...

The uConnect website is based off of the VIN. There are several vehicles that have a bad checksum in the VIN. I have a vehicle that has a 0 as the ninth character. My insurance company has not been able to find my vehicle. I received no notice that the vehicle had a bad VIN. Is there a place I can go to see if my VIN is one that is effected?

If it is a bad VIN, I assume that the uConnect site isn't going to know if my uConnect is up to date (even though it says it is)?
That's a good question. It appears only insurance companies are having the issue with the vin. If Chrysler issued the vin I'd assume Chrysler's database is on par with it. DMV's just seem to accept it as it is.

You can calculate your own check digit to see what your vin should be with the info here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number#Check_digit_calculation

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Renegade Tech. Can you please let us all know if our Renegades have cabin air (pollen) filter , where it is located and how to access. This has been questioned before, but know one seems to know if there is one and where it is located. Look forward to getting the correct answer. Many thanks. John

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also, no one seems to know why there are plugs missing from some of holes of the undercarriage of the vehicles.... Some are plugged & some that look like they were & no longer are. Any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, no one seems to know why there are plugs missing from some of holes of the undercarriage of the vehicles.... Some are plugged & some that look like they were & no longer are. Any ideas?
Some holes are used for shipping for tie downs. Others are uncovered after the chassis is coated for body drains and sunroof drains. There's a surprising amount of water that runs through the inner panels, cowl and other parts of the car.

A few early Cherokees had fogging glass and condensation issues because some holes that were supposed to be open remained covered, and the car couldn't vent properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.