Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been looking over upgrading my car, '09 Pontiac G6 GT convertible, to get an SUV. Been shopping around when I stumbled across the Renegade model. Yes, I must live under a rock. I own an '03 TJ that I was using for my winter driving/towing/canoe carrying/camping/etc vehicle, and I love it, but the car was the normal commuter vehicle. I was looking around for something I could use all year and turn the TJ into just my fun vehicle, when I saw the Renegade line.

So I've been scouring the web and reading up on the forum, but input is always welcome. I'm looking at the Trailhawk with the Tow package, I've read up on here about installing my own, but at $395 MSRP, it looks cheaper to have it preinstalled. Also included: Popular Equip Grp, My Sky Power (since I can't get the fixed with tow package), Passive Entry, Remote Start, 9 Amplified Speaker, and Hood Decal, and Cold Weather Pkg. All this, according to Jeep.com will run me $30,665. Edmunds TMV is $30,095. This is all based on the 2015 model on Edmunds. The 2016 is actually less (30,230 MSRP and TMV of 29,728).

I realize you all are going to say Go For It, but I'm interested to hear of any of the problems or tips I should know in advance. 2016 vs 2015? I would only think they'd improve over the rookie year and know what needs improved. Thanks and looking forward to owning one as soon as I check it out and make sure I want it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely get the tow package from the factory! I couldn't find one in Michigan with the options I wanted so I bought one without the tow and installed the Renegade Ready kit myself. Takes a full day, willingness to take apart a new vehicle and some level of confidence. I uploaded pic of install on other forum. Black Trailhawk, popular equipment group, cold weather package, passive keyless w/remote start and 9 speaker (which has the deepest bass of any new car I've owned, 12 total). Enjoy yours, I've had no problems with mine, up to 29 mpg's, 16 towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer. One thing I may have upgraded to is the Nav. 6.5 system, I miss not being able to start my car (gm vehicles) with my phone, you cant do it with the 5.0 system.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I know noticed the 2016 doesn't come with the hood decal. WTH!? Being a yinzer, I want the black hood decal with the solar yellow jeep. :) Is there anything more than a price reduction on a few options that the 2016 offers over the 2015? Should I go with a 2016 and then find a way to switch the hoods or add my own black hood decal? I saw the threads on the renegade ready install, and while I'm sure I could handle it myself, the kit is only about $50 cheaper than factory installed, and that's not including shipping and the day are two it would take me to install it. I've never started my car with my phone. Seems it would be easier to use the key fob than unlock my phone, pull up the app, etc since you need to keys/fob with you anyway.

The biggest con to me is the lack of a 6 cylinder option in the trailhawk. How is everyone's trailhawk handling hills at high speed? I have the I-6 on my TJ, and I know how hard it is to keep speed going up hills at 55+ around PA.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to double post. Don't see the option to edit my post. What's the story on the 2016 Trailhawk? I don't see an option to build it on jeep.com, only the 2015 Renegade, while most all other models have options to build/price either year.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to double post. Don't see the option to edit my post. What's the story on the 2016 Trailhawk? I don't see an option to build it on jeep.com, only the 2015 Renegade, while most all other models have options to build/price either year.
Since I wanted the MySKy i had to order a vehicle and after the initial visit to place the order I was told all new orders were going to be in the 2016 trim from the factory. I had to change to the Limited from the Latitude to accommodate the other feature we wanted. Not sure on the delivery date yet. Make sure if you price using the JEEP.COM site you confirm with the dealer your features when you order yours.

Good luck:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious if anyone would know. Why can I not get the My Sky Fixed with the tow package? I can only get the My Sky Powered option if I get the tow package installed. That throws a little monkey into my thoughts. $395 dealer installed tow package, but an additional $300 for My Sky Powered option, means it costs me $695 for the tow package. Now, I'm not sure which My Sky option I really want. Powered or Fixed, but I'll work that out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I really like my Trailhawk and have had no problems in the 4,000 miles I have driven so far. But some on here have reported problems most of which were solved with a computer programming flash. Just pay attention to your test drive and make sure you get "a good one."

The power is quite adequate even though it is a 2.4L engine. Mated to the 9-speed auto, it shifts where it needs to and keeps up the speed while using cruise control. There is little snap below 2,000 rpm, but at 2,500 and up the engine is peppy.

I'm one that gets great gas mileage. With 12 tanks of gas, I averaged 27 mpg (calculated).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like my Trailhawk and have had no problems in the 4,000 miles I have driven so far. But some on here have reported problems most of which were solved with a computer programming flash. Just pay attention to your test drive and make sure you get "a good one."

The power is quite adequate even though it is a 2.4L engine. Mated to the 9-speed auto, it shifts where it needs to and keeps up the speed while using cruise control. There is little snap below 2,000 rpm, but at 2,500 and up the engine is peppy.

I'm one that gets great gas mileage. With 12 tanks of gas, I averaged 27 mpg (calculated).

Thanks. Any details on the exact problems so I can pay attention to them during a test drive. Only downside currently is that with the options I want I'll have to special order mine unless I start considering removing some options or adding in some I don't really want to get the ones I want in a Jeep nearby and avoid the 6-8 week wait. So if the one I get comes in and I'm not happy or it has a problem, that's going to suck.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . Any details on the exact problems so I can pay attention to them during a test drive. . .
There have been quite a few posts on this forum of problems people experienced. I don't know if anybody noticed their problems during the test drive. Some of the problems seemed to manifest themselves after "so many miles" were driven.

I'd be you will be okay ordering a 2016 as the software glitches are likely sorted out by now.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There have been quite a few posts on this forum of problems people experienced. I don't know if anybody noticed their problems during the test drive. Some of the problems seemed to manifest themselves after "so many miles" were driven.

I'd be you will be okay ordering a 2016 as the software glitches are likely sorted out by now.

Yeah, I've been browsing the forum looking through posts. I've read up on the Alarm issue and 30-35 mph growl along with a couple other small issues people had just to get an idea of what I might experience or can look for. At least the 30-35 mph growl I can look into during the test drive, but it does seem to appear for most after some time and not right off the bat.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I'm pricing out Renegade THs at Dealerships near where I live. Used Edmunds TMV and then did a quote request. Not sure if that was wise as I then got 4 calls immediately. Edmunds TMV had me looking for Latitudes and any Renegade on the dealer lots. I had to correct most of them. I got a call from one dealership and explained what I was looking for and the options I wanted. They just called me back and said they can get one around 500 miles away.. OR, they have a 2016 model on order with the options I wanted. Said it was ordered on the 8th and they don't know when it will get in, but a 2016 model surprised me as Jeep.com doesn't even show a 2016 yet on the build & price page. Although she did mention it has the 6.5 UConnect/NAV system, and I'm not really interested in paying $1300 for a 1.5" bigger screen. I don't see me using anything else the upgrade has. I haven't used SiriusXM in the past when it came with other vehicles and use my phone for GPS. Would it be nice to free up my phone... yes, but not necessary and not worth the $1300 to me.

Anyway, I was shocked to hear about a 2016 model on order. Thoughts? If it's true, I would much rather have it as I'm hoping all the bugs have been fixed that I've read about, but then again, it opens it up to what new bugs there might be. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's $1300 i can put to far better things, even half of that would be used for the better things i can do.

Agreed. which is why I don't want it or the premium leather. Now about the 2016 model... where do I see anything on it since Jeep.com doesn't show one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.