• Sport is just fine for you

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I recently located to Hunter Mountian NY and my Jetta is not cutting it In the snow and especially on my steep slippy driveway.
I had my heart set on the Trailhawk but I’m having a hard time finding one on my price range.
I have found a 2016 sport 75th anniversary edition. I’m wondering if anyone has any info on how it handles in the snow and if the trailhawk is as superior as it sounds to me.
Truth be told I’m not much of a car person but want something stylish and safe.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L (Former Vehicle)
741 Posts
I’m happy with the Limited. Not exactly sure the difference between the two trims. Dedicated snow tires on anything greatly improve performance in the snow. I recommend Blizzaks’s or Hakkapeliitta’s.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
welcomegroup

enjoy our forum.

The TH is much better for off road from skid plates gearing and more.

Reactions: Fhyne

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Renegade Sport Upland
49 Posts
happy with our 2020 Sport Upland and might be more of your price range. it's 4x4 and got some TH features in a mid-level trim. ours came with interior tangerine accents, cloth seats, 7-inch uconnect touchscreen, dual climate, remote start & passive keyless, safety group (blindspot, cross-path detection), TH front bumper and skid plate. and yeah, we preferred the cloth seats and 2.4L engine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you're not going trail riding, you don't need a TH. The features are intended to make it more off-road capable. If you just want to get through the snow better, a Latitude has nice features and 4x4 with the modes you can select. A good set of winter tires will make a huge difference on any vehicle as well. Save the money you would have spent on the TH and buy a cheap set of steel rims and put some winter tires on them. You'll have no issues getting around.

·
Registered
2021 Trailhawk
31 Posts
Anything that is FWD or 4x4 is going to be moderately better than a small sedan on hills. Add on some great 3 peak rated tires and you'll have an even better chance at negotiating those hills. I had a 5 speed Jetta and loved it, I put some Blizzaks on it, and it performed terrific here in Upstate NY. I only got stuck, because it was a whiteout and I could no longer see the unplowed road. A side note, maybe look for a used trailhawk, some dealers will actually have it sent from another dealer further away. I only suggest a trailhawk, because you will not get bogged down in drifts or unplowed snow as you might in another 4x4 trim Renegade.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I only suggest a trailhawk, because you will not get bogged down in drifts or unplowed snow as you might in another 4x4 trim Renegade.
Curious what makes you believe the TH is an advantage over the other 4x4 models? They all have the mode selections for the 4wd system. There is only a 3/4" ride height difference. The only real advantage in the drivetrain is the ability to use 4low with the TH, which is not something you would use commuting. Of course there's skid plates as well, but those are not a winter advantage either.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Skid plates were talked about recently which caused a Trailhawk to behave like a sledge and it meant losing traction.

Pros and Cons for all models imho. I have the Renegade 2.0L diesel 4x4 Longitude (Uk 2015)

In the West of Scotland (lowlands) we don't experience deep snow very often but a few days I had around 200mm of it. My Longitude 4x4 in snow mode handled extremely well whilst "ordinary" cars around slipped and slithered all over the place. Downhill was fun as I took my foot off the accelerator in 2nd gear and let the Jeep crawl at around 5mph with no slippage.

So good was the experience that I know this model will handle deeper snow and as was suggested above, snow tyres would make a massive difference yet all I have is expensive All Terrain tyres.

I really cannot emphasise enough that Fhyne needs to buy what they themselves are happy with after evaluating all the comments and to think about the road/trail conditions that they will have the Jeep driving upon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The drivetrain between trim levels is basically the same. The suspension and interior options may be the only main differences. You say you're not much of a car person so I would suggest finding a vehicle with the options you like and can afford and go with it. Anything AWD or 4x4 will be better in the snow than your FWD jetta. Good luck

·
Registered
2021 Trailhawk
31 Posts
Curious what makes you believe the TH is an advantage over the other 4x4 models? They all have the mode selections for the 4wd system. There is only a 3/4" ride height difference. The only real advantage in the drivetrain is the ability to use 4low with the TH, which is not something you would use commuting. Of course there's skid plates as well, but those are not a winter advantage either.

The poster states they live near Hunter Mountain, NY well the trailhawk has a LOW mode that other models do not. Thats going to be an asset for driving in snowy areas, where roads may not get plowed. Plus trailhawks are awesome.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The poster states they live near Hunter Mountain, NY well the trailhawk has a LOW mode that other models do not. Thats going to be an asset for driving in snowy areas, where roads may not get plowed. Plus trailhawks are awesome.
4 Low will lock you into 1st gear. You're not going very far at all trying to drive in 4 low. It's a crawling gear for trails and off road. It's VERY slow going. Not an asset for driving in snow unless you're stuck and try to inch your way out. The SNOW setting on the 4wd system is great for the snow. It stretches out the first gear and gives you a very slow acceleration through your first few gears to help prevent slipping when taking off from a start. That would be the asset for snow driving... which all 4wd versions of the Renegade have.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just as a side note you can get some great AT tires that are also 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated. Toyo Open Country AT3's are that way as well as a few others. They also look awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts