Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting yesterday, but doesn't look like it posted.

I'm trying to change the oil filter on my Renegade, 1.4L engine, and it proved too tough to get my hand on and get it off. Has anyone had luck with it? Any special tool I need or tricks to getting it off? thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
You need an oil filter socket they are available at any/most automotive parts stores for a few dollars and well worth the investment if you intend to change you own oil & filter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is a socket special to the renegade or a general oil filter wrench?
It is not special to the Renegade just needs to fit the over the end of your oil filter. Take your new filter with you and find a socket or end cap wrench that fits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
27mm socket, an extension, and a swivel works best for me.

A word of caution when cleaning the casting prior to reinstalling the cap, the aluminum edge is razor sharp. I sliced my finger pretty good.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
And when you do get the filter off, be certain that the rubber gasket didn't stick to the filter mount on the engine. Putting on a new filter with an old gasket stuck to the mount will guarantee a leak.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A 27mm socket and at least one extension and maybe a swivel. I am not sure of the set up on a Renegade, my Renegade has the 2.4L but I did own a Fiat Abarth with the 1.4L. That was really a tight squeeze; I had to use two extensions and a swivel and the extensions had to go into a small crack near the right head light. Then it was a tight squeeze getting your hand down to remove the filter. I cant imagine the Renegade application being that tight. Remember to not over torque the oil filter cap when you re-intall as it is only plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.