Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help with safety options

There doesn't seem to be much discussion on Jeep safety tech anywhere online, and this is key trying to decide between the Trailhawk (which doesn't come with collision mitigation) and other trims (which do come with collision mitigation).

For those that have forward collision mitigation, blind spot detection and lane departure, do you find them helpful or annoying?

Does forward collision mitigation have issues? It seems like it could actually be dangerous given that it automatically applies the brakes in many circumstances.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have collision avoidance on all my vehicles (two cars and motorcycle); my eyes, brain, & reflexes.

Sure, some people really like all those things, but don't buy a car just because it has the collision avoidance, buy it because you like it. And don't become a lazy driver just because it does have collision avoidance.

I have blind spot monitoring in my Trailhawk, but I ALWAYS look before I change lanes and will see a car before the blind spot light illuminates. It's not useful to me since I angle my mirrors so I can actually see in the "blind spot" areas.

From 40 years of riding motorcycles, I learned to be fully aware of all traffic around me at all times. And I always have a plan in mind in the rare case someone drifts toward me. This alertness carries over when I drive a car.

The bottom line is if you want a Trailhawk, get it. Don't shy away just because it doesn't come with collision avoidance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed that these are just tools that shouldn't replace driver attention. That said, are the features helpful or annoying? What problems have you encountered with these features?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agreed that these are just tools that shouldn't replace driver attention. That said, are the features helpful or annoying? What problems have you encountered with these features?
I haven't put many miles on mine, but it's my first vehicle with blind spot detection and I will say it's a bit annoying. I live in the city and there will constantly be cars in blind spots. The beeping lowers the music volume too so it's kinda jarring to be listening to a song and have it cut out to have beeping, it's pretty distracting. I don't know yet if that part can be disabled but I want to look into it. I don't mind the blinks on the side view mirror (if those are part of the blind spot detection, may have just been my turn signal)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't put many miles on mine, but it's my first vehicle with blind spot detection and I will say it's a bit annoying. I live in the city and there will constantly be cars in blind spots. The beeping lowers the music volume too so it's kinda jarring to be listening to a song and have it cut out to have beeping, it's pretty distracting. I don't know yet if that part can be disabled but I want to look into it. I don't mind the blinks on the side view mirror (if those are part of the blind spot detection, may have just been my turn signal)
there is an option in the menu system where you can set either "lights" or "lights and sounds" for the blind spot detection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankfully, nobody here has nearly crashed into someone else yet. This is kinda like asking how well the airbags deploy...no personal experiences is a good thing.
But unlike an airbag this system is sending warnings and automatically applying breaks. In the manual it warns of circumstances (like curves and intersections) when the system might react. Is the system so flawless that everyone loves it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Real world testing is needed, this tech can either scare people away or bring them in to the brand and vehicle the tech is on. Jeep and other car makers need to condition people to accept the tech.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Blind spot warning seems useful to me, especially the systems that can tell you of an approaching car when you are backing up. But the other systems like the lane departure warning and the forward collision warning don't seem very useful to me. But then again, I suppose if you are someone who falls asleep while driving, then this would be good for you. But I've never rear ended anyone in my 26 years of driving, and I don't intend to in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.