Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I've been eying a TH since their release in April of last year. I've been waiting patiently for the "hype pricing" to dwindle down in hopes of owning a TH. Well the time is now, unfortunately IMO pricing (or at least incentives and offers) are still ridiculous for these things. I am in dire need of a new vehicle, still have an 07' Patriot with 122k and climbing. So I visit my local dealer and websites of other nearby dealers and I'm finding out I still can't lease one of these things for less than $300 a month. Now the reason this frustrates me is I am now being forced to look at other makes and models (I really want a Wrangler Unlimited but will only be able to afford one of those when I'm dead, or so it seems). So I get in contact with a local Toyota salesperson today and I inquire about a vehicle that I really, really do not want, a RAV4. I give the salesperson my terms and inquire on a RAV4 that is literally $50 less than the MSRP on a Trailhawk. I state that I want my payments to be in the low $200's on a 15k a year lease. The guy doesn't even balk. I get a "yeah that should not be a problem at all." So what the F gives? I can't get a quote on the lease of any Jeep vehicle under $325, and I was actually quoted that on a 2016 Patriot High Altitude, and I was told that the Patriot would "lease better than a Cherokee or a Renegade". I mean what is it with these vehicles? I understand the expense and high residual on Wranglers, but for an "affordable" Jeep... I don't consider monthly lease payments of $300+ affordable... and that was with $5k down!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd hang on to your '07 Patriot for a good while longer. I have an '06 Scion with 177k and I'm looking to get 300k out of it.
Ultimately that would be my decision, but others are involved and pushing (aka helping) me to get a new vehicle. Not a terrible problem to have, but if it isn't the vehicle that I want, I'd rather keep driving the Patriot. It's a real dilemma, I tell ya!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are happy with the vehicle that you own, it is meeting your needs (not wants, but needs) satisfactorily, you have kept it maintained, and it is not facing major (i.e. thousands of dollars) of work to keep it running, then just keep driving it. The "novelty" pricing of the TH will go away eventually (it always does on new model vehicles) and there may even be lightly used ones that start to show up in the market. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The question is...whose money is it? If it's yours then wait until you get what you want.
Umm, yeah... there lies the problem. It's a new vehicle on someone elses dime, or hang on to the Patriot. Common sense says new vehicle even if it is not what I want. Have you seen the interior of the new RAV4's... hideous! 1995 called and they want their square boxy dashboard back! Yes, if it weren't for the 6" display you swear it was a 90's car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmm, just went to Jeep.com, and for a generic Renegade TH lease, was quoted $273 ($295 for 15K miles) with $2699 down. Toyota's site looks like they are offering a pretty good promotion on the Rav4, $2199 down and $219 per month. Granted, I don't know if that is for a Rav4 with AWD. Regardless, it looks to me like you could lease a TH for less than $300/month.

All supply and demand- my sense is TH's are selling really well right now, and Jeep can keep the rates higher than Toyota. I've been there - not wanting the vehicle you can afford - it's never fun. I'd concur with the previous post about keeping the Patriot, I too find the Rav4 uninspiring. Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Umm, yeah... there lies the problem. It's a new vehicle on someone elses dime, or hang on to the Patriot. Common sense says new vehicle even if it is not what I want. Have you seen the interior of the new RAV4's... hideous! 1995 called and they want their square boxy dashboard back! Yes, if it weren't for the 6" display you swear it was a 90's car.

New + free = doesn't matter if it's a pinto....cha Ching.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jeep Renegade Trailhawks seem to be in high demand. When I bought mine the only incentive was the financing but I went with my bank instead. My take on it is that the Trailhawk is for sale, not on sale. No deals in my area anyways.

·
Registered
221 Posts
$33,000 for my Trailhawk
$3,000 down
$500 per month for 7 years
APR was 7-9% can't remember exactly
Credit was 750ish

Upside down trade in, so the total loan was $38,000

I didn't care how much the total was as long as they got the monthly around $500.

From my past experiences I figured the monthly should be around $800-$900. So I went in not wanting to purchase. Just to look and test drive it. Salesman also told me the same thing about the monthly payments. But they will never let you go. They keep asking for more down payment and saying that the monthly can't be lowered.

I told them I don't have any money to down (not true) and the most I'm willing to do monthly was $500 to try and get out of there. They said they could come down to $500 if I had $3,000 to down. Then I said I need to get rid of my current car to make the payments on the new one. Added $5,000 to the loan without adjusting the monthly or down. They ended up adjusting the sticker price down to make up for part of it.

I know it's a lot of money but I got what I wanted for a car I much more enjoyed. Old car was a 2013 Corolla. $24,000 loan with $400 per month. Trailhawk for $38,000 and $500 per month is not a bad trade.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm paying $369 per month. I traded in my 2006 Honda Civic, only got $1700 for it.

Lease, not a loan. 12k miles per year. I got a TH with everything in it EXCEPT navigation. MySky roof, upgraded sound. I think the total on the vehicle was $29,300 something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not unusual to see higher lease payments for a new model like the Renegade. This is because the leasing companies do not have any history on the vehicle and are guessing at what the residual value will be after the lease expires. So they guess low and this makes the monthly payments higher - so that they don't get stuck taking a loss. But you can potentially recover some of this money at the end of the lease if the vehicle is worth more than expected by the leasing company. This is because the buy-out price is set at the start of the lease. So let's say the leasing company sets the buy-out to $17K and it turns out at the end of the lease that you can sell it for $20K, you can then buy it for $17K and turn a $3K profit. It's all about who is willing to take the risk, and the leasing companies don't make money by taking risks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
payments

Duuuude, never ever let a car dealer know what kind of monthly payment you are looking for. They can get you your target payment but it'll cost you in the long run, either in higher interest rates, loss of rebates, etc.... Also, if they know you want a specific payment, they may not be so inclined to go below sticker. Dealers know that as long as they hit your magic numbers they have you on the hook regardless of the car's actual price!

Do the math before you go in to the dealership using on-line car loan calculators. That way you'll know exactly how much car you can afford.... say 25g or 30g, whatever the number comes out to.

THEN... go to the dealership, and haggle the price down to what you can afford. Say you like the $28g TH but the math you did earlier says you can only afford $25g. HAGGLE until you hit the $25g OUT the Door Price... you get the idea here.

You'll get a great deal on a TH, and the payments you wanted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Leased in April 2015. Trailhawk with 29,600 sticker. Got it for 318/month. 39 month and 15,000 miles per year. put down $2300. $15,200 residual. It was my first lease and i'm pretty happy with .

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
Leased in April 2015. Trailhawk with 29,600 sticker. Got it for 318/month. 39 month and 15,000 miles per year. put down $2300. $15,200 residual. It was my first lease and i'm pretty happy with .
For that point and time, you didn't do badly. I talked lease, the best hey could do on a TH with a lower sticked was $359 per month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there. just got my new 2016 TH yesterday. It's a lease and after all the rebates and $1200 down, my payments are only $253 a month. It is possible to get a TH below $300, but you need to find a dealer who is willing to make sure you get every discount and incentive that you can. My dealer was very helpful in letting me know of all the savings I can take advantage of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.