Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted something on FB at Jeep and boy did the 'trolls' check in! It made me wonder, WHY is there this big 'it's not a jeep' thing going on? Do they talk that way about the Cherokee? The Grand Cherokee? Okay, so maybe because the Renegade name WAS associated with the 'wrangler' styling....way back when...but now Jeep knows people want the 'jeep feel' but a more comfy ride, that pulls it's 'weight' but still is more 'useable' as an everyday drive...so what, they reused the Renegade name....I get WAY more use out of the Renny than I did with my Wrangler....I don't miss that thing with all it's expensive 'quirks'...not ONE minute....Shepp who?(my old wranglers name lol)....

Hey, I want to spend more time DRIVING my vehicle than working on it....lol...just a thought!

:ReneBlueWave: *Beep Beep*

·
Registered
753 Posts
With the exception of the original Willys, I'm sure every new model has gone through this. Some worse than others, I'm sure.

In 2000 I went through growing pains with my '98 XJ, where my Wrangler friends would tell me to "go buy a real Jeep". Then I yanked one of them out of a mud pool, and that was enough cred' for them to at least STFU for the most part.

I've honestly never wanted a Wrangler. I've never been bitten by the bug I guess. But I loved my Jeep pickup, my XJ, and now my Renny.

Let the haters hate... Don't matter to me... I love my Renny-Lat, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I posted something on FB at Jeep and boy did the 'trolls' check in! It made me wonder, WHY is there this big 'it's not a jeep' thing going on? Do they talk that way about the Cherokee? The Grand Cherokee? Okay, so maybe because the Renegade name WAS associated with the 'wrangler' styling....way back when...but now Jeep knows people want the 'jeep feel' but a more comfy ride, that pulls it's 'weight' but still is more 'useable' as an everyday drive...so what, they reused the Renegade name....I get WAY more use out of the Renny than I did with my Wrangler....I don't miss that thing with all it's expensive 'quirks'...not ONE minute....Shepp who?(my old wranglers name lol)....

Hey, I want to spend more time DRIVING my vehicle than working on it....lol...just a thought!

:ReneBlueWave: *Beep Beep*
Wrangler is such a dated vehicle I am surprised that they are still selling them. I think Renegade is taking some heat from the Jeep loyalists that have it in their head that a Jeep has to be made in USA. They really should wake up and realize it is a world economy now. You would be surprised at how many products that you think are made in USA actually contain a lot of parts that come from China.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
As a reformed hater myself, I think it's silly to diss a vehicle before you even drive it. I suspect if the "it's not a Jeep" folks actually drove the Renegade Trailhawk like I did, they'd realize it has legitimate off-road capabilities.

I used to say "that's a Fiat, not a Jeep" about the Cherokee and Renegade, but I test drove the Trailhawk and the rest, as they say, is history.

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
The same thing happened when I got my 07 JKU the TJ/YJ guys said it was not a real Jeep but that is BS! As for wranglers our JKU can do more and is a better made Jeep the the ones before.

I love my wife's BU and can't wait to mod it out and get it on the trail.

Now never call it a car it is a Jeep!
Can a car do this?

I don't think so!

·
Registered
65 Posts
All of the non off road Jeeps get grief from wrangler people. The Patriot,Compass, Most Libertys. The renegade will keep getting a bad rap until they are seen out on the trail hard core wheeling and modded out. the made in Italy thing really doesnt help either. I loved my TJ but I hated the constant maintenance. I have not off roaded the renegade yet. A little afraid to scratch the pretty little Jeep but I am sure that will wear off at some point.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I couldn't care less what other Wrangler owners think. I bought the Renegade because I liked the styling, the compact size, and the 4x4 capability for winter weather driving on the roads.

As far as the name Renegade, car manufactures reuse names all the time. Challenger was used three times for completely different cars (1970-74, 1978-83, and 2008-present). Four times if you count the Silver Challenger from 1958-59.

I think the Wrangler owners should be happy that Jeep came out with a compact SUV that doesn't look like so many others out there. Or look as outlandish as the Juke or Soul.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've posted about this previously a few times - this has been happening since the dawn of time (or at least as far back to the original Willys as mentioned above).

Happened to my '98 TJ (what?! coil spring suspension from the Grand Cherokee, air bags, a square rollcage, a dash that takes up what little space we had - what kind of mall-running yuppie contraption is this?) Turned into one of the most capable off-road vehicles ever. Oh and all those YJ folks who hated on the TJ? I always got a kick out of telling them "yeah, well at least my Jeep has round headlights."

Happened to my '99 XJ - which I still have, by the way, 165K miles and going strong, no check engine lights! (nice soccer mom transport! Make sure you don't get any mud on that pretty car!) This beast of a vehicle was even more capable than my TJ, and it lasted a **** of a lot longer too!

Happening now on our Renegade, and it will happen to the next Jeep vehicle. This has been going on even with brand changes - when Willys Overland became AMC, when AMC became Chrysler, when Chrysler became FIAT, etc. Happened when CJ's round headlights became YJ's squares, or when 2 doors became 4.

Jeep fans are a crazy bunch of fair weather fans. They latch on to whatever Jeep is hip to latch on to for the moment. It's a Jeep thing most people don't understand. They eventually come around, just gotta give them time. Oh, except for that Patriot and Compass. No time in the world will work for those.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've seen some serious rage aimed at the Renegade from older Jeep model owners. It only makes me laugh. One guy even went so far as to label it a "girl car" because a woman had nothing but positive things to say about hers. He was a Cherokee owner. I took great pleasure in illustrating for him the number of "soccer moms" that park their Cherokees in front of my house every weekend to access the field at the end of the street.

I can only assume that the haters tie their identity to their vehicle of choice. They believe that, in some twisted way, the Renegade devalues their machismo. Kinda sad when you think about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.