Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I am Canadian but live in Michigan with my Family(Oakland County). I've been following the 2015 Jeep Renegade lineup for months now waiting for some kind of release date, this will be my next vehicle. So I contacted my dealership over a month ago and they said they had not heard anything time wise on when they can expect to see them, that was a little disappointing. I had a Chrysler Engineer here this week and he said he thought they were already available. I drove to 2 dealerships in the area and neither had them so again....little disappointed.

I am an Automotive Engineer for a T2 supplier so I work around Auburn Hills, there are a number of Chrysler Tech Centers and their HQ in this area, over the past 2 weeks I have seen four different 2015 Jeep Renegades on the road. Not sure if these were test vehicles or customer owned, but its very exciting to start seeing them. I haven't had the opportunity to stop and take pictures yet or get a detailed look. However the picture attached was taken by a friend at work for me, this was at Chrysler. I plan to keep making updates on what I see around, my discussions with dealers and Chrysler Engineers we work with.

[/URL][/IMG]

· Registered
92 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. In the picture posted earlier in this thread, not the size comparison to the 500L next to the Renegade and the Jeep Classic a few cars to the left.

I have owned a classic and although the measures put the two as almost mirror images, it always seemed that the Classic was so much bigger than the Renegade feels.

Cherokee Classic.............Renegade

WHEELBASE:...............WHEELBASE:
101.4 in............................101.2 in

LENGTH:........................LENGTH:
167.5 in............................166.6 in

WIDTH:...........................WIDTH:
69.4 in...............................71.0 in

HEIGHT:..........................HEIGHT:
66.8 in...............................66.5 in

Anybody have a side by side photo or mash-up of the Jeep Classic against the Renegade?

· Registered
318 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. In the picture posted earlier in this thread, not the size comparison to the 500L next to the Renegade and the Jeep Classic a few cars to the left.

I have owned a classic and although the measures put the two as almost mirror images, it always seemed that the Classic was so much bigger than the Renegade feels.

Cherokee Classic.............Renegade

WHEELBASE:...............WHEELBASE:
101.4 in............................101.2 in

LENGTH:........................LENGTH:
167.5 in............................166.6 in

WIDTH:...........................WIDTH:
69.4 in...............................71.0 in

HEIGHT:..........................HEIGHT:
66.8 in...............................66.5 in

Anybody have a side by side photo or mash-up of the Jeep Classic against the Renegade?
So i just found only a picture of the new Renegade and the New Cherokee i placed the Cherokee (red) just over the Renegade to sho the differences ...

· Registered
106 Posts
Mike911sc, I completely agree with you, the classic always appears a bigger car than it actually is. I guess it is just so well styled, the perfect dimension in every way like someone used a set of suv design rules to style it. Another interesting comparison in the picture was the pt cruiser and 500L. I've always thought the Cruiser line should have been continued with new models, it was a very usefull family car and I can see a similarity in the 500L.

· Registered
92 Posts
I had seen to comparison to the new Cherokee but after looking at the dimensions of the Classic Cherokee against the Renegade, it would be good to see a similar mash-up for those two.

The new Renegade in many ways has a similar feel to the Classic Cherokee with the exception of cargo capacity. However, I suspect it will not have it's off road capabilities but that remains to be disproven.

In any case, if someone can work up a similar comparison to the one shown above that would be much appreciated.

· Registered
318 Posts
I had seen to comparison to the new Cherokee but after looking at the dimensions of the Classic Cherokee against the Renegade, it would be good to see a similar mash-up for those two.

The new Renegade in many ways has a similar feel to the Classic Cherokee with the exception of cargo capacity. However, I suspect it will not have it's off road capabilities but that remains to be disproven.

In any case, if someone can work up a similar comparison to the one shown above that would be much appreciated.
so i found one Picture i guess you mean this car and made the wheel distance fit ...

i used this Picture i found and it says the classic is about 64" in Height and so the montage just compares to it ...

· Registered
318 Posts
So just to show how big the car really is ... i am 183 cm in height thats about 6.0039ft and i don´t want any complaints about Belly size ... it took more than 50 years to make it that size and costs a fortune to do this, i also suffered on a sixpack for many years ... but good old bavarian Beer just helped me to form that wonderful Body ...

· Registered
92 Posts
ManEater666

Thanks a bunch for working up this montage, and for the stylish modeling pictures that followed. Quite an investment that both you and Jeep have made over the past 50 years. :)

It is one thing to look at a set of numbers and quite another to see the images laid one over the other. I have had a host of Jeep's over the years and two of them were Classic Cherokees which have been hands down my most favorite of all.

I don't know what Jeep's sales stats look like over the years but I suspect that the Classic is probably one of Jeep's best all time sellers. In any case, it is certainly one of the most capable Jeeps right behind the Wrangler. It was a great design and one which just simply ran it's course from a design perspective.

The good news is that the Renegade could easily step in to take it's place. I don't say this simply from a sizing perspective but based on the improvements on the "basic box" design. When you look at the montage, you can easily see where the improvements have come.

Dropping the big in-line 4.0L allowed Jeep to push the passenger compartment forward by easily 10cm or so. Coupled with a more vertical windshield, you can see why it has opened up the seating area. Even the rear easily has the same space as the Classic. The only area that suffered is the rear cargo area which even then is a minimal loss.

Also, the undercarriage and approach angles are pretty close. The Classic had higher side rails but had a bunch of stuff hanging low like the transfer case, etc. A slight lift on the Renegade could easily push the ground clearance higher than the stock Classic.

As for the approach angles, you can see that the departure angle on the Classic is less than the Renegade due to the larger rear overhang. Giving up that cargo capacity improved that piece to the Renegade's benefit. You have to give a little to get a little.

The approach angle is the only compromise and you can see that the lower front bumper on the Renegade is the culprit. Surely someone will be offering aftermarket kit to allow for an improvement in this area. It should not be that hard to improve the approach angle through a combination of a slight lift and possibly a modified aftermarket bumper of some sort.

In the end, I think Jeep lovers, and others, will be pleasantly surprised by the Renegade and what it eventually becomes. It will run away from these so-called competitors despite it's 500x underpinnings. The Renegade will be much more rugged than the 500x and has been quoted elsewhere in this forum, much of the running gear is Jeep specific.

All of these comparisons to the Nissan "Piece of Junk" Juke, the Kia "Has no Soul" Soul, or the Mini "Trying to find a Country" Countryman, do not even begin to show the real capabilities and heritage the Renegade brings to the table.

I think we are going to see a much different vehicle as more of these get on the street and the aftermarket kicks in together with the creative input of our fellow Renegade owners on this forum and others like it.

Let's see where this goes but personally, I think the Renegade has the potential to fill the shoes of one of Jeep's most capable Jeeps ever - the Classic.

Thanks again ManEater666 for the montage. Once I have mine and begin a few road trips, I will be sure to look you up once I hit Bavaria and some of the best mountain roads in Europe.

Enjoy your new Renegade.

Mike

Now let's find some good H/T and/or A/T tires to put under this puppy.

· Registered
318 Posts
ManEater666

Meant to ask about your aftermarket wheels. What size are they and what is the bolt pattern? Are they Fiat fit or something else? Let us know.

Mike
The rims are from Fondmetal FM7900 i guess in Size 7.5 x 17"

http://www.tyrol-pneu.at/index.php?mid=2&fid=4

The Tires are Falken eurowinter 215/60 96 H which i have a little Problem with it, because they produce a wimmering Sound at speeds above 40 km/h.
The whoowhoowhoo from the Falken has become somewhat lower but as the 18" Summer Tires don´t produce any markable Sound at all you have to get used to the whoowhoowhoo ...>:D:D

· Registered
17 Posts
To Maneater666, my Deutsch brother from another mother, and German Barley soda enthusiast- I thank you for the humor, photos and details. Prost!

As a former Cherokee Classic owner, my chief complaint was the low roof line. It was an ongoing challenge for my 6'1" frame, going in and out. When in a hurry, I clipped and banged my head on the top of the door frame countless times.
By the looks of everything, I believe that problem might have gone away with the Renegade. I'll have to wait and see...

· Registered
318 Posts
To Maneater666, my Deutsch brother from another mother, and German Barley soda enthusiast- I thank you for the humor, photos and details. Prost!

As a former Cherokee Classic owner, my chief complaint was the low roof line. It was an ongoing challenge for my 6'1" frame, going in and out. When in a hurry, I clipped and banged my head on the top of the door frame countless times.
By the looks of everything, I believe that problem might have gone away with the Renegade. I'll have to wait and see...
I guess you will have pleny room in the little Rascal to so i have about 15 cm from Head to Roof sitting inside ... to door frame that´s about 2" from sitting height.

I drive with the Seat sitting just on lowest position ... you can pump it up somewhat higher ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.