Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, here's the $30,000 question. What is the highest rated trail that a stock Trailhawk can successfully navigate? I've seen some people talk about 3's, and one person mentioned turning back on a 5.

What I'd like to be able to do for readers of this forum is provide some idea of what to expect from the investment in a Trailhawk.

Is it purely the skill of the driver, or is there a limit for the hardware? What is the limit in its stock configuration? Then, what is the least expensive upgrade you can get that increases the effectiveness on the trail. But first we need a baseline.

What if we (a group of people on here) agree to test our Trailhawks? By that I mean we put safety as the primary concern and see if we can get to a consensus of what the Trailhawk can do. It's just an idea, but if anyone is on board for this, here's what you could do.

We'll start planning now. I'll find trails in my area (Colorado) that are rated. When the trail is clear and dry, I'll make a run on it. I will evaluate safety the entire way. Maybe even bring a monkey with me (anyone get that reference)? This way I have another person to watch.

I know the first question will be, "but what if you get some idiot that..." Well, if they are old enough to buy a car, they are liable for their stupid, no one here is saying to do anything risky. Second, they are investing the money in their own Trailhawk, so there is that to consider.

The neat thing will be answering questions like, "will my Trailhawk do this trail?" The answer can be, "I'm a driver of this skill level and was able to do that easily," or "only if you are willing to take your life into your hands." As always recommendations would end with YMMV.

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

About 5/8's on whatever scale is used. so a 2.8 on a 1 to 5 scale, or a 6 on a 1 to 10 scale.
Can I ask how you were able to determine that so quickly? Is there a place that this is already documented? Do you work for Jeep? Have you had experience on trails?

I'm not questioning your integrity, I'm just trying to follow scientific method. What are your data points? What experimentation have you done?

Thanks for your time and any answers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Experience. I also know that if two trails are rated at 6, one will be harder than the other. Nobody goes out and takes measurements and there is no grading rubric. The biggest issue to the Renegade Trailhawk is the breakover angle. After that it is lack of traction. Sometimes you need to have all four tires on the ground.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
20:1 is fine. I had a CJ with an automatic transmission and 23:1 crawl ratio, but it also had 35" tires. Only time it was an issue was going downhill.

The 2.4 has plenty of low end torque to move the vehicle.

If you change tyre size, the ratio will equate to a different actual speed, which also matters.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Okay folks, here's the $30,000 question. What is the highest rated trail that a stock Trailhawk can successfully navigate? I've seen some people talk about 3's, and one person mentioned turning back on a 5.

What I'd like to be able to do for readers of this forum is provide some idea of what to expect from the investment in a Trailhawk.

Is it purely the skill of the driver, or is there a limit for the hardware? What is the limit in its stock configuration? Then, what is the least expensive upgrade you can get that increases the effectiveness on the trail. But first we need a baseline.
You should change tires, since the standard ones installed by Jeep are enginerred to get better results on tarmac and unpaved roads, get good fuel economy and low noise.

Beware that offroad trails rates are only an indication since are subject to change due to erosion/degradation/terrain slides/rocks fall/... of the trails by weather (and vehicles transit). Also weather conditions or effects of previous metheoric events (rain) can increase difficulties even in low rated trails.

Driver skills make a big difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.