Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the reviews are in on these 2 new entries in this segment, and after reading a few reviews for each, I'm convinced even more that the Renegade is the car to have in this segment.

While both the HR-V and CX3 get nice reviews and seem very well put together, and both have very upscale interiors, it has been stressed that both are "slow", the Jeep having 141 hp and 127 lb-ft torque, and the CX3 having 146 hp and 146 lb-ft torque.

Plus, even though these are both supposed to be more "sporty" vehicles in this class, the CX3 does NOT offer a manual transmission and the HR-V only offers it with FWD.

I can't help but think the Renegade with the 1.4L/manual, with 160 hp & 184 lb-ft torque is going to be MUCH more fun to drive. And for someone wanting something more sporty than the Renegade, I think the Juke is a much better performing vehicle than the CX3.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yeah, they reduce the engine power to get better gas mileage. So many these days want the car that gets the best mileage. I would rather have a car with more power. Those who take the car off road certainly want more power.

Even my 485 hp Dodge Challenger can get over 28 mpg on the highway with careful driving on mostly flat roads at 55 mph. But If I need the power, it is there.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, they reduce the engine power to get better gas mileage.
A bit more complex than that. With Mazda's Skyactiv engines they try to squeeze every bit of efficiency out of a naturally aspirated engine through tight packaging, light weight internal components and high compression ratio (something like 13:1). This is great for a company that doesn't have hybrid technology of their own. It allows them to claim high MPG numbers like the competition. But, the big question is longevity of these high strung small engines.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm liking the HRV more and more. Despite it's unappealing exterior, the interior is staggeringly beautiful IMO, plus the reliability of it from the start probably will be MUCH better than FCA's (especially in the long run). I still loooooove the Renegade but it makes so much more sense to get the HRV; for everything I want on it will be around $22k compared to the Renegade's $27k. That's a lot of payments saved already. (Plus a GLASS sunroof!)

Reactions: kj11

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was looking forward to the HRV as a possible replacement for my 2013 Fit. I love the exterior looks but after sitting in one I must say I'm not at all impressed with the interior. I like to be able to feel my way through the AC controls, radio, etc. With this car it's going to be very difficult to do that. Also what happened to the cup holders? I need drink storage and keeping it in the door ain't gonna cut it. I was also a little disappointed in the MPG. It's not horrible but I was expecting them to squeeze a little more out of it. Anyway, I'll take it for a test drive sometime in May just to get a better opinion. I've had my Fit for over two years and it's been awesome. 0 problems, 0 recalls. Oil changes and changing tires are the only things I've needed done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.