Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a pair of hood struts for my roommates 2017 renegade.. Has anyone done these? Can i see pics on where you put them? Lol.. thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered this kit off ebay. I hate hood props and always install strut kits when available.

The strut mounts attach as shown in the pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered this kit off ebay. I hate hood props and always install strut kits when available.

The strut mounts attach as shown in the pictures below.
How hard was it to install and how long to install?
It was super easy to install. Undo 1 nut on each side of the hood mount and 1 plastic clip in each side of the engine bay as shown in my pictures ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was super easy to install. Undo 1 nut on each side of the hood mount and 1 plastic clip in each side of the engine bay as shown in my pictures ?
You had me until you said "plastic clip"...../forum/images/JeepRenegade/smilies/tango_face_sad.png
The plastic snap clip is removed and replaced with a metal one. All about increasing that structural integrity ?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was all ready to jump on this and order the struts as I hate prop rods.

Until last night.

I went to do my ritual of checking the oil level but it was late and dark outside. I have a magentic flashlight and tried to stick the light somewhere on the hood to see the dipstick. Turns out the hood is made of aluminium and the flashlight wouldn't stick anywhere.

Maybe there is a valid reason it has a rod instead of struts. Aluminium is much softer than steel and I could easily see the hood getting creased over time trying to overcome the struts while closing. Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm sticking with the rod. As much as I hate prop rods.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was all ready to jump on this and order the struts as I hate prop rods.

Until last night.

I went to do my ritual of checking the oil level but it was late and dark outside. I have a magentic flashlight and tried to stick the light somewhere on the hood to see the dipstick. Turns out the hood is made of aluminium and the flashlight wouldn't stick anywhere.

Maybe there is a valid reason it has a rod instead of struts. Aluminium is much softer than steel and I could easily see the hood getting creased over time trying to overcome the struts while closing. Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm sticking with the rod. As much as I hate prop rods.
A LOT of vehicles on the road have aluminum hoods and gas charged struts. GM has been doing it for decades, Volvo, Ford even uses aluminum on liftgates for the Expedition with struts, and that is a BIG lift gate. I have a feeling it's got to do with price. Much more economical to put a few bends in a peice of round stock and a couple clips VS one or two struts and mounts for each end.

·
Registered
509 Posts
A LOT of vehicles on the road have aluminum hoods and gas charged struts. GM has been doing it for decades, Volvo, Ford even uses aluminum on liftgates for the Expedition with struts, and that is a BIG lift gate. I have a feeling it's got to do with price. Much more economical to put a few bends in a peice of round stock and a couple clips VS one or two struts and mounts for each end.
Ah yes, but those vehicles came with the gas struts, not aftermarket add-ons. Any additional bracing/backing plates, etc. is already in place in preparation for the additional stress.

I'm waiting for the post header "I creased my hood with gas struts !!" and then blame Jeep for making cheap hoods.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ah yes, but those vehicles came with the gas struts, not aftermarket add-ons. Any additional bracing/backing plates, etc. is already in place in preparation for the additional stress.

I'm waiting for the post header "I creased my hood with gas struts !!" and then blame Jeep for making cheap hoods.
You said, "Maybe there is a valid reason it has a rod instead of struts.". I was replying to that, it's much less expensive to bend a piece of rod than all the brackets and such to install hood struts. As far as the existing hood holding up to the aftermarket struts, time will tell!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
While at work today I tried to look at vehicles with hood struts. Good majority that I saw today used the hood hinge as a mounting point, therefore, releaving any stress on the hood itself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pic of a factory hood strut, really not much to it, the force applied is more or less lateral, on the Renegade you are attaching it to the hood latch mounting area, highly doubt it will be issues. I don't remember exactly how my previous WRX aftrer market hood strut was installed, but basically the same concept, no issues for 10+ years.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
I got a kit off ebay to go to struts, finally got it in and then took it all back out again. There are some things to be aware of.

1) The setup didn't give me warm fuzzies on sound. It requires you remove the rubber boots on the hood latches, and it removes a retaining push in rivet on the two big hunks of foam at the edge of the engine bay. You can probably work around this by altering the rubber boots and you could definitely add an additional washer and nut to the hardware provided to retain the foam. But I didn't because....

2) It removes at least 6 inches of hood opening. It doesn't open nearly as wide, and as a tall guy, that's a no go.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I got mine on Amazon, $25.00

15 minute install.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/HEQIANG-Accessory-Renegade-Instruction-Included/dp/B07T724Y33/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Front+Engine+Hood+Support+Lift+Struts+Shock+Accessory+Kit+for+Jeep+Renegade&qid=1567650138&s=automotive&sr=1-1[/ame]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts