Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed but I searched and couldn't really find anything on this forum pertaining to my year make model issue etc. I bought a 2016 Jeep Limited 4WD in October. My gas mileage is so bad I thought I was stuck in 4 wheel. (I'm not). I do "city" driving (by city I mean suburbs so it's not as bad as the stop and go of the city but it's not highway) and my BEST tank average was 19.5. My worst was 17. Now it's just getting worse. I had been using the remote start and letting it idle to warm up for a good 10 minutes in the morning ( I live in the northeast- it's cold) so I stopped doing that for the last 2 tanks to see if it improved- it has only improved slightly. I have 3800 miles on the car. What could be causing such poor gas mileage?

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
The renegade does not get good mileage for what it is. It REALLY dumps fuel on big throttle deltas.

My average tank of gas is a fill up of ~11.7 gallons, ~224 miles, and ~9.4 hours of running the engine. I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic for about 50% of my miles.

I've manged to get as bad as 16.2mpg and currently average 19.something with that stop and go commute. I have peaked at 26.5mpg for a 100% highway, no stops run from highway rest stop to highway rest stop.

Most of the variability I have found to eek out of it is in big deltas of throttle position. How you start from a stop, and how (and how much) you go about passing people on the highway. The renegade can feel pretty peppy around town up to about 45mph. If you drive it so it does, in my experience, you will see about 18.4 mpg. Accelerate slow and smooth, stop slow and smooth. Keep it smooth, and you should be able to do better. Part of the reason for this is that if you start hard, you unload the front wheels a bit and the AWD system will kick in and deliver some of the power to the rear wheels. Add some rain, slush, or ice to the roads and you can make that pretty dramatic. Hard acceleration also causes a dump of fuel to quench the cylinder head. I suspect the engine runs pretty lean under low or no load, I can tell you it it definitely dumps fuel and pulls timing under hard acceleration on par with a late 90s, early 00s turbo charged 4-banger based on data logging.

Also, if you have never had your vehicle's firmware updated, you might want to do that. I had two flashes that noticeably affected fuel economy. One was far enough back 2016s should all have them, the other was from fall, so you may not. Both are TCU updates, both altered the behavior around holding gears at the boarder of shifts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response- I wasn't sure if I was the only one! It's a shame because I LOVE the car- all except for this gas mileage. Having gone from a Mazda (that I hated) getting 28.5 MPG city on average- this is just a big difference. The gas mileage is the only thing I have to complain about

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
Thank you for your response- I wasn't sure if I was the only one! It's a shame because I LOVE the car- all except for this gas mileage. Having gone from a Mazda (that I hated) getting 28.5 MPG city on average- this is just a big difference. The gas mileage is the only thing I have to complain about
If that wasn't AWD, it's apples and oranges.. normally. With teh renegade it's apples and watermelons.

My last car was a 250hp 250lb-ft turbo full time awd vehicle, and it got only a couple mpg worse mileage. It also took super, so I'm still saving money, but it's not what I expected. I went from 17.8/22.something to 19/24.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My $0.02. Suburbs are just as bad as city driving. Lots of stops / starts, etc. Along with the remote start. I'm getting close to 25MPH with a 2015 FWD Limited. I'm going off of memory - isn't there an "active" fuel mileage readout on the display? If so, check yourself as you are driving - safely.

Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know exactly how I average between 12-14 mpg's- my foot is always on the gas-always-on-the-gas. Always. I don't know why it is like this and now service wants the Rene so they can start experimenting on it. Sometimes I feel like I am driving with the emergency brake on. Softwhere updates got me 15.1 on the highway once. It's the stupid 9 speed transmission.

·
Registered
112 Posts
MPG drop a lot during winter months, as much as 25%.

During winter my combined avg is 23 and summer is 27.

As for idling for 10 minutes... (I know you said you stop doing this but ABSOLUTELY DO NOT idle your car for that long, it is causing damage to your engine) Experts say even at freezing, 30 seconds to 1 minute is enough idle, then start moving at a conservative pace to lube all the gears. Take it easy for the first mile etc... idling 10 minutes is crazy bad.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've never reset the average MPG display on my stock 2015 TH. The display says my average is 24.0 mpg. I've never backed that up with actual measurements.

I drive "all the time" in manual shift mode (which I think engages AWD). Most of my start/stops are driven as if I stole it (that's the fun of manual shift mode). 80% of my driving is around town. I've only put about 10,800 miles on it. Under normal, steady state driving conditions I select a gear that keeps the rpm between 2 -3K. I never let it run below 2K rpm intentionally (while moving).

15.1 mpg - max you say? Something is wrong.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lol. Idling for ten minutes is not crazy bad. I don't know where you got that information but it is very wrong.
I agree. But, years and years ago, it was supposedly bad due to carbon build up. I actually was letting my Jeep idle for a longer time than 10 minutes with remote start, as I would do it twice in a row. I only stopped doing that because of the mpg reading. I also stopped using my GoPedal, and I seem to get 3 mpg more without it in city driving.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The best I've seen with my 2016 Trailhawk so far -- where I reset the on board tracking before departure -- was 27.5 mpg on a 4 hour round trip of mostly flat highway driving.

·
Registered
70 Posts
MPG drop a lot during winter months, as much as 25%.

During winter my combined avg is 23 and summer is 27.

As for idling for 10 minutes... (I know you said you stop doing this but ABSOLUTELY DO NOT idle your car for that long, it is causing damage to your engine) Experts say even at freezing, 30 seconds to 1 minute is enough idle, then start moving at a conservative pace to lube all the gears. Take it easy for the first mile etc... idling 10 minutes is crazy bad.

What harm does it do?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've never reset the average MPG display on my stock 2015 TH. The display says my average is 24.0 mpg. I've never backed that up with actual measurements.

I drive "all the time" in manual shift mode (which I think engages AWD). Most of my start/stops are driven as if I stole it (that's the fun of manual shift mode). 80% of my driving is around town. I've only put about 10,800 miles on it. Under normal, steady state driving conditions I select a gear that keeps the rpm between 2 -3K. I never let it run below 2K rpm intentionally (while moving).

15.1 mpg - max you say? Something is wrong.

Manual shift does not engage AWD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I drive in and out of a lot of traffic on a daily basis, about half my commute is stop and go and I am averaging about 28mpg combined in a Manual Sport 4x4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2015 Latitude here - 2.4 Tigershark w/9 speed auto

I average 30 mpg on Highway with best so far being 36 hand calculated. With mixed driving I hit 24-26 on avg. While not hypermiling or anything I find that if I just keep my foot out of it and avoid the jackrabbit starts I get pretty good mileage.

I have noticed with this engine that keeping the oil changes to the schedule does make a difference as does changing the air filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know the pain of the OP. My 2016 TH can barely hold it above 18mpg. I drive 70% suburb, so that doesn't help, but I do not do a lot of stopping and starting. In my 6 mi commute, there are six stop lights, of which I hit maybe 4, and one stop sign. I have the active mileage on all the time to watch how I am driving as well. Reality is, the sticker says 21 - 27, avg of 24. There is no reason someone can't get 21, unless their commute is heavy stop'n'go traffic. My wife has a Kia Sportage, slightly larger, near identical engine specs, and she gets around 23-24 mpg dealing with stop-n-go traffic. My '97 Wrangler with 33" tires got almost identical mileage as my Rene does.
The dealer assures me the vehicle is driving as it should. I don't buy it, but such is life, I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow... I get pretty good mileage with mine. I'm averaging about 24mpg with a commute that's about 60% highway 40% city and it's February in Alaska so the heat is on full blast the whole way. I've had some tanks that are all highway and I've seen it climb up to 30+ mpg! The 9 speed auto is the only thing I could think of that might be the difference, mine is the 6 speed manual.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts