Jeep Renegade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did they use the correct oil? Wrong oil type can affect mpg. The 2.4 Renegades use 0W-20 low viscosty and the 1.4 uses 5W-40 synthetic. Check your invoices for oil type used.
For me, I got the correct oil and oil filter put in.

I came back a week later because of the MPG issue and they said every vital is fine but they recalibrate the MPG calculator just in case. So far, nothings changed

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey! Our mpg dropped after the first oil change too! Weird....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Maybe JeepCares has heard of this issue?

·
Registered
61 Posts
i don't use 6th gear very often, the final drive is kinda tall for the jeep i think. I cruse in 5th a lot. a little higher rpm keeps the engine more responsive and easier to drive, less load on it means it more efficiently uses fuel. so i contribute a decent amount of my mpg to that. highways i use 6th obviously but only really over 60 mph.

·
Registered
476 Posts
We reinstalled the Madness ECM and our MPG went back up, and it doesn't feel like it struggles on hills as much. Awesome! Was able to get 28 mpg around town yesterday.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been watching my lead foot and have been seeing slow but steady increases. I'm up to 26.3 now and it should be rolling over to 26.5 any day now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree driving habits make a huge difference. i went from 24.5 to 27.3 just by changing my driving.
100%!

These are not sports cars. Easy on the gas and the gas is easy on you...Though I am pretty impressed with the way they handle in the corners coming from an FR-S.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Overall mileage at ~5300 miles is 28.2 with my 1.4l. If I'm on the highway I can usually get 32 MPG or better, but obviously I do a lot of city driving with stops/starts and often running on a cold engine.

One time I got 36.3 MPG coming home from work 25 miles away at night, driving it like an absolute pansy, i.e. optimum fuel economy.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I was getting great gas mileage, 30+ highway. I try to stay light on the pedal. Once I added a lift and mud tires I could never get past 18 highway! :( too underpowered for these mods. Best keeping it stock for mpg FYI.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I was getting great gas mileage, 30+ highway. I try to stay light on the pedal. Once I added a lift and mud tires I could never get past 18 highway! :( too underpowered for these mods. Best keeping it stock for mpg FYI.
Keep it in stock my man!

The Renegades does not look tough and rugged anyways, and so what's all these lift and large rugged tires upgrades all about?

It is already cute and ugly, that should be enough to stand out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeesh my usual tank is around 23 plus. I?m currently averaging 26.6 at 1300 miles. Took a long trip recently and the higher mpg brought the average up quite a bit! High on the tank mpg was 30. I have a 2017 4x4 Latitude auto

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dude my Trailhawk sucks on gas mileage if I knew it was going to be this bad I would have bought a Honda and I hate Honda's... Why is the gas mileage so bad? I average 18.9 highway and city what am I doing wrong? I am very disappointed with the performance of this Jeep, if this keeps up I going to have to sell it and I just got it 2020 Trailhawk..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Some of the guys on the forum appear to all have a high fuel consumption with low mileage actually travelled so you are not alone with your Trailhawk.

Just the other day someone posted with exceptionally good mileage in a TH that was just short of 48 (UK) MPG and that is comparable with the Renegade 4x4 manual diesel 2.0L

18.9 but for an easy calculation call it 20pmg (USA) and that equates to 24 mpg(UK). I really do agree that is absolutely sh1t.

It would appear that you are doing nothing wrong.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not really a fair comparison as I drive a 2017 Latitude 2WD 2.4 liter, 9 speed auto tranny. I typically drive alone and I keep tires at 35 psi on a consistent basis. I have absolutely nothing extra bolted on the exterior and the only thing inside the Jeep is myself and my work laptop bag. Well, also the mandatory 3 quarts of oil and a tool bag on top of my spare tire. Nothing else. On the highway, if I do my part and force-feed 9th gear as much as possible, I get around 32-34 mpg, high was 38.2, must've been a tail wind.

I recently went on a road trip with my wife and all the luggage involved. I could not get above 28-29 mpg no matter how I tried. I concluded the extra weight was the cause, because after our trip my mileage returned. Apparently every ounce counts for this vehicle. I equate it with a phrase we used in the Marines while packing our ALICE packs; "ounces = pounds, pounds = pain".

Try emptying everything from inside your vehicle, unbolt all the cool doo-dads from the exterior (if any), including roof racks, etc. and see if your mileage improves. Larger tires may look cool, but the larger footprint and weight will affect mileage. Yours may improve with time, but that provides little comfort when your back at the gas pump again. Try a different fuel source, "gas is gas" isn't necessarily true. I've found I get my best using Shell regular.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts