Jeep Renegade Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
An outstanding explanation of a fair comparison from MudPie (y) :D

You always put it so eloquently and with a touch of humour that still has me giggling though straight faced at the seriousness of the reply. :love:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not really a fair comparison as I drive a 2017 Latitude 2WD 2.4 liter, 9 speed auto tranny. I typically drive alone and I keep tires at 35 psi on a consistent basis. I have absolutely nothing extra bolted on the exterior and the only thing inside the Jeep is myself and my work laptop bag. Well, also the mandatory 3 quarts of oil and a tool bag on top of my spare tire. Nothing else. On the highway, if I do my part and force-feed 9th gear as much as possible, I get around 32-34 mpg, high was 38.2, must've been a tail wind.

I recently went on a road trip with my wife and all the luggage involved. I could not get above 28-29 mpg no matter how I tried. I concluded the extra weight was the cause, because after our trip my mileage returned. Apparently every ounce counts for this vehicle. I equate it with a phrase we used in the Marines while packing our ALICE packs; "ounces = pounds, pounds = pain".

Try emptying everything from inside your vehicle, unbolt all the cool doo-dads from the exterior (if any), including roof racks, etc. and see if your mileage improves. Larger tires may look cool, but the larger footprint and weight will affect mileage. Yours may improve with time, but that provides little comfort when your back at the gas pump again. Try a different fuel source, "gas is gas" isn't necessarily true. I've found I get my best using Shell regular.
Mine is 3 week old 850 miles on it and I run freeway to and from work. Nothing bolted on still have nothing in it but me and get 19 mpg average. I think there is something wrong with it I'm not even getting close to 24 as promised or 29 on highway.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mine is 3 week old 850 miles on it and I run freeway to and from work. Nothing bolted on still have nothing in it but me and get 19 mpg average. I think there is something wrong with it I'm not even getting close to 24 as promised or 29 on highway.
I'd definitely keep an eye on it, but run a few more tanks through it, hopefully it'll improve. Maybe contact the dealer, see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
g8rchas Your motor has to seat. It will go up once your motor breaks in ours did.
Than adding bigger tire 9.5 winch, bumpers & skids it will go back down.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts