Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to totally turn the traction contour off?
I'm very unhappy and disappointed with its off road abilities. I understand it's not going to be a Rubicon, but I paid extra for the trailhawk so I could do some trail riding in it. Had it out today and in the mud it's alsmost worthless. The traction control all but forces you to get stuck. No matter what I turned off or what mode I put it In it just simply comes to a stop on its own. Is this normal? If so I feel as If the "trail ready" is false advertisement. I'm hoping mine just has a issue with the 4wd or there is some way to completely disable the traction control.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got BFG K02's on mine,still sucks. I tried it in mud,snow,sand,Rock and auto with the traction and ESC off. All had the same results. As soon as it starts to spin it just limits the power so bad that you stop. It won't let you just floor it and spin your way out. Pretty stupid design if this is the way it's supposed to be and no way of turning it off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK, Try asking Daystar or Rocky Road, maybe they know. They are working on off road mods, they seem pretty serious about our Renegades. Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was amaized at how mine powered through deepish mud when I had it out at a Jeep park. I set it on "mud," eased it into first and stepped on it. It never bogged down and you could feel the torque shift from right to left. All day it was like that, even the "real Jeep" guys were impressed. The only down side was that I think I managed to fill the whole rear bumper with mud because its been leeching out of there everytime it rains or I wash it :)

Mine is a manual 1.4t Latitude. The 1.4t's torque curve is higher and occurs at much lower rpms than the tigershark's which may have helped in this situation.

-Jason

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah I agree. The mud mode sucks. I would imagine the stock tires are a big part of that though.
Maybe the tires just couldn't gain any traction. With traction control enabled, the wheels then just won't move. Happened to me when I drove my quattro up a sand dune. Then I made the ibtsake to stop, which broke the crust. Traction control prevented all 4 wheels from doing much more than twitch a little. Traction control could not be turned off on the quattro. Had to be towed down that dune.

However, I would expect that with traction control off, I can spin the wheels. If traction control is truly off, how could it possibly still be active?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the issue that has me pretty frustrated. There's doesn't appear to be a way to truly turn it off. Pressing the buttons and the indicator saying its off sure isn't doing that at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had terrific performances with stock tires (Vectors) on mud... Since I started experiencing a RDM (rear diff) related problem and I started experiencing 4WD unexpected disconnection and power cut (2000 RPM on Multijet 2.0 170 Cv, the engine on THs here in EU).
I posted a video in a related thread here http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/429218-post134.html

Is that the same power cut you had on your TH?
Low noise, vibration and stuck at a mid-low RPM?
In my experience, seems like the system is cutting down to preserve something not working, and as you can see in the video I also had the same problem in a not-so-steep climb.
But I never had those kind of issues before, with great performances on mud, grass, slippery terrains and a lot of power to be used.

Anyways, I'm waiting for Jeep inspectors...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very similar issue. It's like the engine just stops making any power and your stuck with nothing. You can hold the pedal to the floor with nothing other than a low rpm bog almost like your just holding the brakes on. Mine was also on a not so steep climb when I had the worst of issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very similar issue. It's like the engine just stops making any power and your stuck with nothing. You can hold the pedal to the floor with nothing other than a low rpm bog almost like your just holding the brakes on. Mine was also on a not so steep climb when I had the worst of issues.
This is definitely not normal, so similar to in my case. Again, Renegade performs GREAT on mud and slippery terrain, when everything is ok.

Ever had noises and "thump!" when engaging 4WD?

Reactions: Jeep Jon

·
Registered
105 Posts
One limitation my Sport has for now is stock Conti tires.
I don't know how Renegade with slush box operates. But with manual gear box, just hold the RPM up modulate the clutch and little Jeep gets trough some gnarly stuff with a smile.
I've tried all AWD modes and they all seem to work well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jeep Renegade has "brake lock differential", as many other vehicles (including Wrangler) that apply brake to the spinning wheel, so more it brakes and more torque is needed to the engine. That is the main limit of the "brake lock differential".
If there are no hardware/sensors problems than the problem is in the way engineers had programmed it.
The fact that cuts power, in my opinion, is probably due to the fact that some preventive protection of transmission components is going on.
Have You tried to not floor gas pedal, what happens? Have You tried to force it in second gear with TC off?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same issue here. So find gaining speed before you hit the mud will get your through better. But you don't always have that option. I've seen mud with the stock Trailhawk tires and mud tires. The mud tires do help more, but still eventually bog down.

Seems like the design of the traction control is the problem here. It limits and can sometimes stop the power and torque to the wheels if there isn't enough traction. It's kinda like, "oh, this wheel is slipping and have no traction. Let's stop it and send power to the other wheel." then "Oh wait, now that wheel has no traction. Let's stop it and send power to another wheel." And it doesn't that until you just bog down.

When I'm stuck with the stock tires, I get slow spinning tires that will slowly and eventually pull me out. But I feel if the system didn't bog me down to a crawl or some times a stop, I would've been better off. With the mud tires, the big lugs help paddle the car through the mud better, so I move forward a bit faster. But the system still bogs me down first.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This might be an obvious thing you've already checked, but mine stopped in shallow mud a few weeks ago and refused to move, took me a while before I realised auto handbrake had applied itself when I stopped for a few seconds in the mud! There's a setting to turn auto brake off

It's a uk spec diesel 2.0 auto 4x4

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ive had some what the same issue in soft sand. It will just bog down when it senses severe tire spin on 3 or more wheels. It does that low growl bog noise others have said. If you stop completely you can give it a little bit of juice and it will try to crawl out but like others have said, if it would just let the wheels spin and keep speed I think it would be better off to just power through it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.