Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call tonight that my wife was in a car accident. A tow truck, loaded with two cars plowed into my wife, and then 6 other vehicles on I66.

Most importantly, she's unscathed.

Now, the Renegade. Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive exterior

It's been towed to a lot. She's on the phone with the insurance now. I'll update when we know what kind of damage / total we're talking about.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Glad she's OK. Otherwise its just a quadzillion words of yackety yak till the Rene gets back. Hope the insurance covers any gap.

I'm sure it'll come back good as new.

Curious: Did the tow truck that was towing have to be towed? You wouldn't see that every day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad she's OK. Otherwise its just a quadzillion words of yackety yak till the Rene gets back. Hope the insurance covers any gap.

I'm sure it'll come back good as new.

Curious: Did the tow truck that was towing have to be towed? You wouldn't see that every day.
The tow truck had to be unloaded. It had one on the bed, and one in tow. The tow truck, and it's two toads we're towed away, along with almost all of the other cars involved.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The tow truck had to be unloaded. It had one on the bed, and one in tow. The tow truck, and it's two toads we're towed away, along with almost all of the other cars involved.
Wow. The Jeep and the Mrs. could have been under all that metal. I think this was a better outcome than what was possible. Best wishes for you both.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Given the circumstances, the damage doesn't look to bad at all. I was expecting a crumpled little tin can after reading the caption. Glad she's ok, vehicles can always be fixed/replaced.

The only reason I have my TrailHawk is because I was rear-ended on the interstate and my civic was totaled. I loved that little car, just payed it off about 5 months before the accident too dangit.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I was expecting the damage to be a lot worse. Glad your other half is ok. I hope she isn't too shook up, considering.

No matter how much we get attached to our vehicles, they can be replaced. Loved ones can't be replaced.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Reactions: Gravitywell

·
Registered
87 Posts
Update: Red Trailhawk was officially totaled on Friday.

We spent the day Saturday playing dealership games...

Thank you again, for your kind words and support.

View attachment 41202 View attachment 41210
I'm glad your wife is okay -- that's what's important -- and that you got a new Renegade TH to replace the last one. Might you know the ultimate fate of your Renegade (past it being totaled)? I'd be interested in contacting the wholesaler/junkyard/whoever that takes ownership of it as I'd like to grab the TH front bumper and tow hooks.

-Rick

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad your wife is okay -- that's what's important -- and that you got a new Renegade TH to replace the last one. Might you know the ultimate fate of your Renegade (past it being totaled)? I'd be interested in contacting the wholesaler/junkyard/whoever that takes ownership of it as I'd like to grab the TH front bumper and tow hooks.

-Rick
We signed the paperwork last week that gave the body shop permission to release it to the insurance company. (USAA).

To be honest, I don't know where it's headed. The front end is pristine though! Four perfect wheels, too!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Over here you used to be able to buy the damaged vehicle back off the insurers. I have never done it, but I know of those in the past that have. If you can buy it back, strip it for parts, as there is always someone, somewhere wanting something.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Often the dealer takes bids for the vehicle from a dozen local disassemblers. Gets a cut and hands the remaining money over to the insurance company. Its quick and clean for everyone. To buy it back you'd likely have to outbid the disassemblers. That car sitting in a body shop bay is holding up a money-making repair bay. Once I signed off on my last totaled car, it was sold and on a flatbed in an hour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.