Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 400 mile trip with my TH and was wondering how accurate the fuel economy system really is... Any thoughts?
Also...in all the miles so far, my "Average MPG" hasn't budged from 30.3, which can't be right. I've tried resetting, makes no difference...still 30.3

Anyone else have this glitch?

Oh...had to put in the pic of mine 'cause it needs to be an ad for the TH. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
In Canada we go by liters per 100km... mines been steady at 10.5L/100 for a while now... that said, the average has dropped from 12 down to 10 now that my driving habits are back to normal... ( I dont Push the limit and take off with it anymore lol)

manufacturer rating was 9, but Canadian gov testing has it at 10.5 for Jeep Renegades. So all is well with mine so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My first tank of gas was a mix of highway (70%) & city. The Renny said 24.5 but when I did the math manually based on how many miles and how many gallons of gas I put in, it was only 23.8. This second tank, I've done 90% city between 25 and 45mph and the Renny says I'm at 23.3MPG. I'll be doing about 1 1/2 of highway driving tomorrow so when I fill up Sunday, I'll make note of what it says verses what I calculate manually and report back again.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
The system comes pre set at 30.3 from the factory. It is a lie. It won't budge until you do the hold ok to reset thing on that screen.

Prior to my firmware update, it was optimistic by 0.3-0.4 mpg. After the software update its optimistic by about 0.5 mpg.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I haven't check this in the Reney, but have on the GC.
I can report about the same that Paula is.... certainly not totally accurate, but close enough for me. Using Paula's sample, I find 24.5 vs 23.8, or about 24 generally all I need.
I too had a several hundred mile trip when I first got the GC and really wanted to have an idea of the MPG at different cruising speeds...55 vs 60 vs 65 vs 70, etc, so the computer gives me this info, while doing the math only gives you an overall tank average.... and even this is not accurate. I haven't check it since the trip and I don't religiously worry about my MPGs.
I have been using the computer for the last week or so to get a feel for my work commute MPG in the Reney versus the GC simply to compare the two, but have noticed that the computer in the Reney calculates differently than the one in the GC.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just got back from a 400 mile trip with my TH and was wondering how accurate the fuel economy system really is... Any thoughts?
Also...in all the miles so far, my "Average MPG" hasn't budged from 30.3, which can't be right. I've tried resetting, makes no difference...still 30.3

Anyone else have this glitch?

Oh...had to put in the pic of mine 'cause it needs to be an ad for the TH. :cool:
Are you pressing and holding the OK button until it finishes resetting? It takes about a 5 seconds holding the button down for it to accept a reset. Mine read 30.3 for two days until I did this reset.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yes, you have to hold down the OK button; you'll see a progress bar race across the screen. Only after it finishes will the current average be displayed.

Mine is reasonably close. Within a few tenths (close enough for me).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you pressing and holding the OK button until it finishes resetting? It takes about a 5 seconds holding the button down for it to accept a reset. Mine read 30.3 for two days until I did this reset.
Ah...maybe that's it then.
It reset but I'm guessing not a complete reset...will try it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mileage accruacy

I have the manual 1.4 Liter turbo Latitude 4X4. I have filled up 2 times (21.7 Gallons Total) and have 674 miles on the odometer. Trip Odometer says 29.6 miles. Computer says 31.8 average MPG. Calculated it is 31 MPG. I am 80% Highway miles.

Great car but the fuel management system seems to be out of sync with the Turbo while it is boosting and surges back and forth faster then slower (very slightly) while accelerating onto entrance ramps. But for normal acceleration and driving, the pickup is smooth. Love the Renegade.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have the manual 1.4 Liter turbo Latitude 4X4. I have filled up 2 times (21.7 Gallons Total) and have 674 miles on the odometer. Trip Odometer says 29.6 miles. Computer says 31.8 average MPG. Calculated it is 31 MPG. I am 80% Highway miles.

Great car but the fuel management system seems to be out of sync with the Turbo while it is boosting and surges back and forth faster then slower (very slightly) while accelerating onto entrance ramps. But for normal acceleration and driving, the pickup is smooth. Love the Renegade.
Is that why mine seems to stumble a bit under acceleration right around 2500 rpm? I figured it was the turbo spooling up, but I guess it could be the fuel mapping...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought my Trailhawk April 4th 2015 and have 5400 miles on it. Trouble-free. Period. All I can say is that the miles per gallon are a big lie because I drive 90 miles a day for work and its 95% highway with absolutely no traffic (I work nights). I drive 65 or 68 mph and I get average of 24 or 25 miles per gallon. I have never seen the advertised 29 highway. I would expect maybe 27 or 28 since i drive highway 95% of the time. The real mpg is: 20 city, 26 hwy, 23 combined. Any feedback from you guys?

This Jeep gives you similar mpg of a modern V6 rather than a 4 cyl. I wish the renegade would be as efficient as the XV Crosstrek. The only reason I didn't buy the XV is because of the horrible interior (even with Navigation and leather), but I was very close. But oh well, very happy with my Jeep and do not regretting buying it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Bought my Trailhawk April 4th 2015 and have 5400 miles on it. Trouble-free. Period. All I can say is that the miles per gallon are a big lie because I drive 90 miles a day for work and its 95% highway with absolutely no traffic (I work nights). I drive 65 or 68 mph and I get average of 24 or 25 miles per gallon. I have never seen the advertised 29 highway. I would expect maybe 27 or 28 since i drive highway 95% of the time. The real mpg is: 20 city, 26 hwy, 23 combined. Any feedback from you guys?

This Jeep gives you similar mpg of a modern V6 rather than a 4 cyl. I wish the renegade would be as efficient as the XV Crosstrek. The only reason I didn't buy the XV is because of the horrible interior (even with Navigation and leather), but I was very close. But oh well, very happy with my Jeep and do not regretting buying it.

Have you done a calculation to check if it is accurate?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you done a calculation to check if it is accurate?
Oh yeah. I use the fuelly.com website and the mpg's on dashboard is usually off by a mile or so... Oh well. I'm kind of regretting not getting the Cherokee Trailhawk, it was only $3k more... :)

Reactions: Sarapdot

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
After well over 3,000 miles in my Trailhawk and 11 tanks of gasoline, my trip computer averages 0.45 mpg higher than the calculated value.

My best tank was 30.8 mpg with about 80% highway driving.
My worst tank was 24 mpg (1st tank during motor break in including some short, full throttle accelerations).
These numbers are calculated; the trip computer showed a few tenths higher.

Overall average is 27 mpg since I bought the car. I estimate it is a mix of 65% highway driving and 35% city driving.

My build date is January 2015. As far as I know, no software updates have been loaded into the car (certainly not since early April when I picked up the car).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.