Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
That drove me nuts as well. I went to Home Depot and bought some 7/8" rubber bumpers. They slid right of the nuts on the bottom of my plate frame. $1.95 . The bottom sticks out a little more than I like. But, I'll take that over the rattle any day.
Some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Rubber bumpers seem like the most obvious solution. You need something to go between the plate and the actual car. I don't really see any other solution. Is this really something that every Renegade owner has to deal with though? It is small but the type of thing that you would hope they would edit when finishing up the vehicle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You know, I was thinking.. out of all the design stages and testing new cars (not just the Renegade) go through, there'd be a little more attention to things like this. Honda used to put little tabs on the car where the bottom of the tag would slide into, but I haven't seen them on late models.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I usually install little adhesive backed rubber bumpers (available at hardware stores) under the bottom edges of the license plate. I attach them to the car, not plate, so they won't rub the paint as the plate moves.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine came with a couple of foam pads on the surface of the car behind the license plate area to prevent rattling (USA Latitude). When I installed the plate into the frame, there was a rattle between the plate and the frame, but a couple of blobs of Blu-Tack solved that one.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts

I've installed this on the rear. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the net result. I get a bassy slapping thunk on closing the liftgate, but no more rattles driving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine came with a couple of foam pads on the surface of the car behind the license plate area to prevent rattling (USA Latitude). When I installed the plate into the frame, there was a rattle between the plate and the frame, but a couple of blobs of Blu-Tack solved that one.
My North came with rubber stops. I then put velcro tape on them and the license plate to stop any noise

My Latitude also has two rubber stops at the bottom, but they're kind of close together, and it seemed like the plate/holder would still not only rattle but also hit the paint on the tailgate (the far left and right ends of the plate/holder - maybe because the plate/holder wasn't stiff enough and flexed around the rubber bumpers?). The rubber plate casing that I put on (which is actually supposed to be a front bumper guard) eliminates the possibility of scratching the paint, but it doesn't sit flat and still bounces around when closing the gate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had terrible rattle but it seemed more between the license plate frame and the plate.

I put some foam weather stripping along the inside of the plate frame. I secured the bottom two screw holes of the plate frame through the plate and through some foam on the rear of the plate, to absorb any vibrations of the plate. I then put some foam on the rear of the plate in the event that; if it would hit the car, it wouldnt rattle. I have had 0 issues since.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Years ago the manufacturers used to have 4 mounting studs for the plate. This required 4 screws to secure the plate but they never rattled and it was twice as difficult to steal the plate. To save cost they went with 2 mounting studs. Too bad they did not tell the DMV that they don't need 4 holes in the license plates anymore.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.