Jeep Renegade Forum banner

How do I ReProgram my Key fob

38K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Kingrounds 
#1 ·
I have both original key fobs. Recently, I could not find one so grabbed my spare and it was not recognized by the car. It has not been used in about 2 years (could the battery just be dead) and has just sat in a desk drawer. My question is, how can I re-connect it, or do I have to take it to the dealership and pay for them to do it? My fear is the other key stops working and then I am up a creek without a paddle. My lease is up in August, and so I am also contemplating doing nothing, but that said, would like to know if there is a way I can get the original key to work again?

Thoughts?

#2 ·
As you suggest, checking the battery would be a good first step. If the battery is fine, then your only real option is to have a dealer reprogram it. If your Renegade is still under warranty I would expect (in fact I'd insist, if the dealer is reluctant) that it would be done as a warranty issue. You'll need to have both keys on hand when this is done so that both are coordinated with the vehicle.

#4 ·
Hindsight for you but rotating your keys, or at least testing/using the spare every month or two, is a good idea. Maybe swap them over when you check the pressure on your spare wheel (if you have one and do actually do that :) ).

#6 ·
I think there is another, similar, thread here where someone was instructed to attempt to reprogram the key fob by using placing one end of the key fob against the steering wheel housing or some such and starting with the working fob - or some such. Sorry cannot take time to look around now for similar threads and good luck to you.

#7 ·
I think you're thinking of starting a vehicle with a dead fob battery. Pop the lock with the emergency key, then press the fob on the start button.

In a lot of vehicles, the user can reprogram key fobs. A damn handy feature. I did it on a few of my vehicles, takes literally seconds. Jeep/Fiat removed that handy feature. You have to go to the dealer and only THEY can program a key fob. And, of course, pay dealer prices and endure the wait time sitting in their waiting area drinking lousy coffee while they get around to it. Oh, make sure you have any and all keys with you or the ones you forgot at home won't work anymore. Yet another handy feature. And bring your wallet or credit card, because it ain't cheap either. But remember, they are doing it "for our own good".... uh, yeah. We're too stupid to follow directions, so they make it so you need a high dollar software system to add a freaking key. It doesn't have to be a difficult as they make it. I'm starting a lowly Jeep Renegade, not the stealth bomber with nukes in it's belly...

Yes, I know, it's so thieves can't steal it and a lot of cars are this way. But they can still bust out all my windows, ransack the interior, steal my tires and rims, take the freaking engine, damn near strip the thing, but THANK GOD they couldn't drive it away....I'd rather they drove it away.

Some technological advances are just plain stupid.

Reactions: DoubleLL7
#12 ·
My wife's 2017 will pop the camera as soon as you hit reverse.
My 2018 has more touchscreen "features".

I've never used the sat radio, never will.
From the day it was introduced (remember when there were 2 companies?), I said "once they get a captive audience, they'll start with commercials."
My perspective is that their self-promotion "dj" talking counts as "commercials".
If I'm PAYING for music, I don't want ANY blah blah blah in between.
So I don't use it. No problem.
I've managed to survive the better part of 25 years without listening to the radio, sat or otherwise.

I get the appeal, my wife & daughter both have it. My son & I do not.
My son has 80 bajillion songs in his iTunes library that he rotates in & out of his phone.
I have a couple thumb drives of songs that I can play if I'm inclined to hear music in the car.
I'm more of a STFU kind of guy. Silence is under-rated.
Not that I can even hear myself think in a Renegade at highway speed; it's like standing on the tarmac at an airport.

#13 ·
I'm more of a STFU kind of guy. Silence is under-rated.
I'm very much in your camp these days. I used to listen to the radio a lot for music, but the 25% 'content' embedded in 75% adverts and inane babble eventually killed it. Now I just ponder stuff and think up insults for the occasional passing idiot :)

#18 ·
C.DeHart -

This may sound silly, but do you have a lot of raccoons in your area ? They are smart little devils. Many years ago, a coworker believed one of us was messing with his car when we were working (nights, obviously), his console opened, glove box opened, stuff scattered everywhere. One time he thought we took his lunch. He kept his doors locked, but he thought we were Slim-Jim-ing his doors. One night while walking around we saw a raccoon squeeze out through his barely opened sun roof and quickly scoot away when it saw us.

Reason I'm asking is; most thieves vandalize with a goal, not just for grins, especially repeatedly. Again, it could easily be someone jacking with you. There are some pretty messed up people out there.

As far as "jumping" things with your Renegade, I'd seriously re-think that. These vehicles computer systems are more sensitive than a spoiled child not getting its way. It's not even recommended to jump start your Jeep off another vehicle, you should use a battery pack. You can easily fry your Jeep computer by using the standard, tried and true, car-to-car jump. Ah, technology.

You could take all (and I mean ALL) your fobs to the dealer and have them re-add them. The story around the campfire is that this should "drop" any other keys from the system, including any fobs you forgot at home. But I don't think it's someone "learning" your key fobs, because then they'd just quietly drive it away and vandalize at their leisure.

If I were you, I'd burn a weeks vacation and stay at home and spend the night looking out the window all stealthy like. See if you can see what's going on. Crappy vacation, yes, but you just may get the answers you're seeking.

#19 · (Edited)
If I were you, I'd burn a weeks vacation and stay at home and spend the night looking out the window all stealthy like. See if you can see what's going on. Crappy vacation, yes, but you just may get the answers you're seeking.

I personally have to laugh so I don't cry. For the last few months I have been hearing a car door closing.

And since I live alone and off-grid I know it is my jeep that is being gotten into.

Lately my key fobs, both of them stopped working. When I would drive into town they would work. This went on for awhile, then all of a sudden they started working normally again.

I have also been having problems with my generator that I have to run every day for a couple hours in order to have electricity throughout the night being messed with. One night it's a loose connection.

Next night the screw and bolt were mysteriously missing. Then oil was literally dumped on it and on air filter.

I should also mention that when I have no power my security cameras and motion sensors don't work. I had been putting 2 cameras and one motion sensor inside my jeep. But with no power they are of no use!!

Obviously these people know this!! Anyway my 3rd night of no power I heard my door close.

I also heard the car chirp like I th does when I use the key fob to lock it. I had never heard it before when hearing my jeep door close!!

I had planned on trying to jump the generator battery with my jeep as the battery was dead, again!!

Funny that I should hear my vehicle door close and the chirp same night I was planning to use the jeep to get some power. Which would have meant cameras and motion sensors working again.

However when I went out to start my jeep to warm it up and get the snow off of it, I got nothing!! AGAIN!!! So somehow I believe that they are able to disconnect my key fobs from working by doing something on the inside!?! I once again got message that key fob was not detected!! I

have also gotten into my jeep and noticed the plastic trim around the drivers seat and around base of steering wheel is loose. One morning they had pulled the grey foam that is behind the steering wheel out and not put it back!! So as you can tell, I am not at all impressed by the dealers not wanting thieves to get into our vehicles!!

I'll bet they can reprogram my keys faster than anyone!! But I do have one question. If I get my key fobs reprogrammed, is that like having new locks? Sorry for long tirade but very tired of having to deal with the idiots!! Carol D.
A very long tirade indeed and one that I got bored of reading after the first 2 lines.

Once ammended your post makes sense.

You are suffering, Off Grid from an issue that is not directly IMHO to your Jeep. Get your local Police to investigate or do as MudPie suggests and stake out your homestead with personal security in mind.

Please can you now understand that a Jeep Owners forum is not interested ( I certainly am not) in issues with your domestic problems. I came here for a community of like minded Jeep owners to enjoy our cars.

If that offends you then perhaps this is not the forum for you.

#21 ·
Key fob SOLVED

I recently held the lock for to long and lost the proximity and start. I searched around and couldn't find a fix.
So I figured it out!

Once inside the renegade with it running. Remove the battery. (Mine is just pop the back from front.) Wait some time, i did a few minutes. Put back together. Then while inside and running, press the lock and unlock a few times. I did 3 times each.

DONE!

Now it all works.
And next time I want to replace the battery in fob or play around the buttons, use these steps.

King

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.