Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have u-connect on, the radio is always on. e.g. using satnav, radio is playing. The only way I have found to shut it up is to mute the volume. (I have the audio setting to have the radio off when starting up.)
Is there a way to turn it off?!! Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had these u-connects in my work trucks last year and I didn't figure that out. When it's at "volume off" and you turn the vehicle off (or put it in park, I can't remember which) does it instantly go back to the last volume you had it set at?? I would pull back into my shop with the radio off and then BAM! it'd be blaring the music at the same volume as when I was going 75mph with the windows down.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi Anvil,

If you refer to your Uconnect Manual, on page 8 (for the 3.0 system) and page 10 (for the 6.5AN system), it will show you a diagram of the radio. For both radios, you push the ON/VOLUME control knob to turn on the radio. Push the ON/VOLUME control knob a second time to turn off the radio. If you have any further questions about this, please feel free to let me know!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Anvil,

If you refer to your Uconnect Manual, on page 8 (for the 3.0 system) and page 10 (for the 6.5AN system), it will show you a diagram of the radio. For both radios, you push the ON/VOLUME control knob to turn on the radio. Push the ON/VOLUME control knob a second time to turn off the radio. If you have any further questions about this, please feel free to let me know!
Yes, I can turn the radio on and off but it seems that if I want to use the satnav the radio is on by default, the only way I can switch it 'off' is to mute the volume. Just wondering if you can have uconnect on - using the on/volume control - but the radio part of it off? Or are you supposed just to mute it?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Anvil,

With the Uconnect system controlling many vehicle features, including navigation, climate control, etc., the only way to turn strictly the radio part off is to mute it. My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Anvil,

With the Uconnect system controlling many vehicle features, including navigation, climate control, etc., the only way to turn strictly the radio part off is to mute it. My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you mute the volume, does the nav turn by turn directions still play?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does on my longitude. The satnav voice cuts in regardless of if on mute or not. I think I came across a setting to turn this off , but I like it.

@jeepcare - no hassle muting the radio now I know that is correct and I'm not missing something obvious. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It does on my longitude. The satnav voice cuts in regardless of if on mute or not. I think I came across a setting to turn this off , but I like it.

@jeepcare - no hassle muting the radio now I know that is correct and I'm not missing something obvious. Thanks.
Longitude? You mean Latitude?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anvil,

WOW :confused: this is kind of going backwards you have to mute the radio in order the hear turn by turn instructions provided by the navigation system.
My wife complained about this the other day, as she had a hard time hearing the directions. I know that the Navigation commands come out of the LEFT(Drivers side) speaker while still paying music out of the right side. This is like 2 people taking at you at the same time. :mad: We have adjusted the Navigation volume up so it LOUD to overcome the radio volume on the right side speakers. :rolleyes: To me this is a SAFETY problem.
The proper way would be to temporary mute the radio while the Navigation is speaking and believe that the older systems worked that way.

This isn't the only problems with this NEW 6.5an/RA4 radio. Yelp is not WORKING. there are numerous posts about this and I for one have an open ticket with U-connect. We are not getting what we paid for. :mad: Take this radio back to the drawing board and fix it or come out with a software update to correct these problems. Or refund me the price ($1245.00 US) of this radio.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just bought a Trailhawk yesterday - the radio is driving me crazy that it cannot be turned off without loosing access to the Bluetooth, voice commands, etc... That is just insane - my parents have a Dodge Journey that when you turn the radio off the uconnect stays on so you keep all your features (same company why not same feature?)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Bumblebee,

To clarify, are you saying that when you shut the radio off, but the car is still on, you lose connection to Bluetooth or that it is inoperative when you turn the radio off? You don't have to re-pair your device to Uconnect, correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bumblebee,

To clarify, are you saying that when you shut the radio off, but the car is still on, you lose connection to Bluetooth or that it is inoperative when you turn the radio off? You don't have to re-pair your device to Uconnect, correct?
I'll chime in. I bought my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk yesterday, the 19th, and when I'm listening to Bluetooth everything is great. Next time I get back into my car, the audio system defaults to the radio every time. Both my 2011 Kia Soul and 2010 Ford Escape would automatically default to Bluetooth when I entered either of those vehicles. It's annoying that the Renegade does not, and that I have to manually designate the source to Bluetooth every time I get into the Renegade. I think this would be an easy (and convenient) software fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Correct I don't have to re-pair my device but I can't use the hands free features when I turn the Radio completely off which is PITA. I don't always want the radio on and to mute it all the time seems silly when a simple off for the radio but not the other features would be better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radio off, sat nav on.

When I have u-connect on, the radio is always on. e.g. using satnav, radio is playing. The only way I have found to shut it up is to mute the volume. (I have the audio setting to have the radio off when starting up.)
Is there a way to turn it off?!! Thanks.
I failed to find a setting that turns off the radio and let’s you hear the sat nav voice. I used a work around as follows.

I recorded an MP3 of Nick Cage 3-15 (it’s 3-15 mins of silence, copied it to a usb stick. I put the stick in the USB port below the satnav, switched the audio to usb and put the track on repeat.

I can now hear the directions on the sat nav without having to listen to the radio. I am well pleased.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I failed to find a setting that turns off the radio and let’s you hear the sat nav voice. I used a work around as follows.
There should be separate volume settings for audio and nav (though it might vary a bit buy market and specific system).
On my 6.5 you can set the volumes in the menus but there is an easier way.
In normal use while the radio is playing and the satnav is between instructions the volume knob adjusts the audio volume. While the satnav is actually talking the volume knob adjusts the satnav volume. You usually need to be quick to catch it, but there are occasions, like approaching a junction, when you can be ready for the next alert with fingers on the knob.
I rarely use the radio so I just have it turned right down and only use the knob to tweak the satnav voice volume.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radio off, sat nav on.

I recorded an MP3 of Nick Cage 3-15 (it’s 3-15 mins of silence, copied it to a usb stick. I put the stick in the USB port below the satnav, switched the audio to usb and put the track on repeat.

I can now hear the directions on the sat nav without having to listen to the radio. I am well pleased.
That is beyond clever! Thanks. Will do the same myself. Always knew this piece of 'music' had a purpose! 😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts