Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a new 2016 Grand Cherokee, and I'm not convinced the FCW is working either. I understand it's not something you want to go around testing out on the road. However, I've been in situations where it really should have warned. There are a couple YouTube videos of Chrysler FCW working as one would expect. I'm not getting anything. I'd just like to hear it once. Supposedly you can test by setting up a big piece of cardboard or something in a parking lot. I haven't done that yet :) Somebody said if you put a piece of tape over the camera, you would get more FCW warnings. I haven't done that either. Is your adaptive cruise control working? Mine works great, so I know the radar part is functioning. I believe FCW uses both the radar and the camera.

· Registered
368 Posts
Somebody said if you put a piece of tape over the camera, you would get more FCW warnings. I haven't done that either. Is your adaptive cruise control working? Mine works great, so I know the radar part is functioning. I believe FCW uses both the radar and the camera.
That's right - I drove off the other day with ice still at the top of the screen, and I got a couple of messages 'Forward Collision avoidance disabled - Clean the screen' and the same for the lane departure.
As i understand it, you wouldn't want to test it other that driving (at more than 4mph) towards paper/cardboard. Pretty sure that it slams on the brakes at pretty much the last moment, but keeps measuring the distance to the object so that it stops just before the object.
My guess is that it does this to avoid stopping TOO early and having someone hit you from behind (if that makes sense)

You can turn the braking off/on from the settings on the Uconnect.

· Registered
261 Posts
I got it to engage once. I had a car in front of me at the traffic light and we both accelerated when the light turned green.
For whatever reason, the car in front slightly braked, and as I was accelerating, I got really close to him.
The dash screen behind the wheel started bipping loudly, became red and showed an exclamation mark (!) and the word "warning".
I slammed on the brake but it felt like it was already engaged. As soon as the distance between the renegade and the car in front increased, everything got back to normal in the dash.

Reactions: Ted

· Registered
2 Posts
I'd just like to get at least one warning to know it's working at some level! I have the sensitivity on "far". Based other people's accounts and a live traffic video or two, I believe I should have received warnings in several situations. I think there's either something wrong, or FCW has been dumbed down to the point I have to question effectiveness. I know what the dealer will say ... the system is working as intended, there's no way to test it on the street and it would be unsafe (they'd be right about that). I guess I should suspend some air mattresses or cardboard or something in a parking lot and have a run at it.

· Registered
261 Posts
I have the distance set to "medium".

· Registered
1 Posts
I all. I have the distance on far on the FCW and I had already a few times the system activated one time with brake.
To check if it is working is quite easy. If I drive on a distance of maybe 30m behind an other car and this one want to turn to the right, just don't react with taking the Gas or braking ( like you want to pass left, but don't turn the wheel) about 15-10m before the car he is always making the !!! Brake !!! signal. (except it is snowing)
If you don't react with steering or braking he starts to push the brake.
In my opinion he is very sensitive on distance far, but I like it because I think if he react later I have no real chance to avoid a crash.

· Registered
1 Posts
Forward Collision Warning NOT working

Since I purchased the 2016 Renegade Limited 2 months ago, the FCW has not worked at all. Contrary to the videos and the owners manual, which states that "....audible and visual warnings displayed in the instrument cluster when it detects a potential frontal collision, System applies a short burst of braking power to further alert the driver, If the driver doesn’t respond, additional braking is applied, If the driver applies inadequate braking, the system supplements the vehicle’s braking to help avoid (or mitigate) a collision".
I have it set up for FAR and not a peep out of it even when I get cut off on the highway. Not even a false alarm as stated on the video from guardrails or sign posts. I tried Medium and Near with same outcome...nothing.
I brought it to the dealer 3 times and all they do is check for updates, but can't seem to be able to figure out how to get it to work as stated in the owners manual and the videos.
Called Jeep and their answer is to have it checked by the dealer again.
I wonder if JEEP will stand behind their FCW if I rear ended a vehicle by paying for the cost of repairs?

· Registered
157 Posts
Mine was set for 'near' a while back and thought no more about it. Then as i was approaching a traffic queue the jeep must have sensed i wasnt going to stop quick enough. It bleeped quietly a few times and a message flashed up on the dash which read 'ibrake' It surprised me when it happened. I did feel as though it had slowed even before i applied the brakes. Its good to know mine appears to be working ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.