Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the 1.4L'ers like the engine ?

I have a bike with a 1400 V-Twin, so I think it is interesting that an entire truck can have the same displacement in the engine department.

I also like the fact that you get a 6MT, to boot.

TIA for comments / reviews. :)

Don

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 1.4 with 6 speed is a peach.
Plenty of go to hustle you along nicely - if I have a complaint, (and I don't) it makes you want to drive in a spirited way.
The engine on your bike will be tuned for torque and a wide power spread - the 1.4 is a turbo, and tuned for, shall we say Italian style driving :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 1.4 with 6 speed is a peach.
Plenty of go to hustle you along nicely - if I have a complaint, (and I don't) it makes you want to drive in a spirited way.
The engine on your bike will be tuned for torque and a wide power spread - the 1.4 is a turbo, and tuned for, shall we say Italian style driving :)
I have the same experience with mine. Love it. I can tell you it has far more get up and go and the Subaru Crosstek manual! Definitely test drive one, but it has pep. Plus, the manual you get to avoid the issues SOME have had with the 9-speed auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a...... small engine. I have the 1.4 with the 6MT. I find myself having to downshift more frequently than I am used to as it's kind of gutless down low, IMO. With that said I am really enjoying the Renegade and the engine/transmission.

Keep in mind I am coming from a '14 Mustang GT with a big 5 liter v8, so depending on the car you're coming from the change may not be all that different. I ended up stalling 3-4 times the first 200 miles as I was accustomed to "a dab will do you" in terms of how much throttle the GT needed to get the car moving, apparently a heavy foot is at times needed with the renegade.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love my 6 Speed, especially that sweet sounding turbo when I switch gears. When the windows are rolled down I always get a kick out of it. It is WAY more funner to drive unless you are off-roading, in which then I would not recommend getting the manual as an automatic may be better performance-wise. Also, the automatics seem to have more issues than manuals.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mpg

Thanks for the responses !

I think it is amazing that the 1.4L Renegade 4WD is rated at 24 MPG city, 31 MPG highway [I think.]

The bike weighs about 535 pounds -- I get about 44 MPG out of the bike [kind of pathetic, really.]

Don

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm very pleased with the engine/transmission combo. 1st is a little low, but not too bad.

One weird thing. Last week I was driving with my window down for the first time this year, and I noticed that I couldn't hear the turbo like I could before. I fired up the Torque app and checked the boost, it was normal, and the engine feels no different. Now I should add that I'm recovering from a massive double ear infection that caused some temporary hearing loss, but my ears are getting much better and I feel like I should be able to hear the turbo whistle. Is the bearing on the turbo becoming quieter with time, perhaps?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm very happy with mine. Plenty of power to get to speed and great mileage. The 6 sp is very smooth if that's your thing. I rarely have to downshift unless I'm going up a hill at low RPM or I have a full vehicle. Reminds me of Italian cars I used to drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Similar to everybody else, I love it! The turbo whine is pretty cool when you hear it. It has a lot of pep and it's fun to drive. I test drove the bigger engine with auto trans and the 1.4L/manual felt a lot quicker. And, I just prefer having a manual trans. My only complaint is kind of along the lines of the others - the turbo is tempting and it's not good on the MPG! I'm a little disappointed in the overall MPG numbers, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
534 Posts
unless you plan to mod the 1.4L it is painfully slow IMHO. The 6M makes you feel more spirited but your not moving anywhere fast. I wish I could have had the manual in the TH.

Reactions: erkmadhatter

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also love the engine and the MT. I do not find it slow, only when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, the turbo really "goes."

That being said, I have been a little disappointed with the MPG. I can get up to 34 mpg on the highway cruising at 60 mph. Only problem - no one in my area drives 60, pretty much 70 or you're going to get squashed. And, once you're going 70, the mpg dips down to around 30. Still good, but not when you consider that the 1.4L prefers premium, which is 40 cents higher than regular (at least, around me it is). Do the few extra MPG's over the 2.4L make up for the extra cost of premium ..... no.

But ****, if I don't still love driving the manual!

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's occurred to me that with the way gas prices fluctuate, the difference between regular and premium isn't much different than the change in the price of regular from one month to the next..so why worry about it?

I'm very satisfied with the real-world economy of the Renegade. And once I learned to be more aggressive with the throttle than I would be with a larger-displacement N/A engine, the acceleration is just fine, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Point

Excellent point. Our bimmer takes premium [of course, the Bavarian Germans can not figure out how to make a vehicle run on regular, because they are so brilliant. Ha ha.]

But that is how it is.

No big deal, I guess.

Don

·
Registered
105 Posts
You must have 2wd Renegade since you get over 30 mpg.

The "false' perception people have regarding TH being faster than Sport/Lattitude with manual lies in denying the fact that 2.4 engine is less powerful per given displacement. Combined with auto transmission, it adds to "false" perception of being more agile or peppy than Sport. Moreover, people neglect to mention weight of TH which isn't helping 0-60 times. Reviews of Renegade have been beaten to death by many auto magazines who unanimously agree 1.4T engine is a better choice. Of course for those who can drive manual gear box.
1.4T Sport is by .4 second faster from naught to sixty ...
For those who don't believe me....
https://www.0-60specs.com/jeep-renegade-0-60-times/

Cheers...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got the 1.4 6MT and love it. I traded my Fiat 500 Abarth in on the Jeep, so it's pretty much the same motor + 1 more gear + ~500 more lbs lol. I was getting 30mpg going 80 on the highway before I upgraded to slightly larger/heavier tires. I've got the 4WD also.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Here is an interesting quote from the article above that I didn't know about. Anybody know if it is indeed true?

"The Renegade’s AWD version is designed to run from complete stop with all four wheels engaged. But the SelectTerrain control system slowly cuts the power directed to the rear wheels. And then the front wheels will be doing all the running above 40 miles per hour."

·
Registered
263 Posts
1.4L is a beast of an engine. Once warm this thing hauls. I can launch out of first with really good speed. Took some practice but now it is 2nd nature. Shame FCA didnt do the 6spd dual clutch auto for the US market. I bet all the complaints from the 9 spd wouldn't exsist on this tranny. And that combo power train would have the reviewers glowing.

Once i add the ECM my truck will be set as far as power is concerned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.