Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
How long are those Kayaks? I'm looking at buying a kayak and was torn between a 10' and a 12'...i want a 12' but the wife things it will be too big to put on the roof of the renegade.
If it's any help I easy got two 17 foot sea kayaks on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my 17 foot sea kayak on top with no problems, just need to tie the ends down to the towing eyes for safety. Looks a lot better on top of the Renegade then my old Nissan Juke: plus the Jeep drives better too.

If you've never paddled before I strongly recommend finding a local canoe/kayak club and have a few lessons with them. My local club have tester sessions for a tenner

Have had to help rescue people that get a kayak never had a lesson before and paddle out sea, happened the other month in Anglesey; a family of 4 on a sit-on-top capsized, couldn't all get back on and worse of all only the youngest (4yo) had a buoyancy aid on. The parents didn't put the oldest 9yo in a BA as he could swim 25m in the pool!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had my 17 foot sea kayak on top with no problems, just need to tie the ends down to the towing eyes for safety. Looks a lot better on top of the Renegade then my old Nissan Juke: plus the Jeep drives better too.

If you've never paddled before I strongly recommend finding a local canoe/kayak club and have a few lessons with them. My local club have tester sessions for a tenner

Have had to help rescue people that get a kayak never had a lesson before and paddle out sea, happened the other month in Anglesey; a family of 4 on a sit-on-top capsized, couldn't all get back on and worse of all only the youngest (4yo) had a buoyancy aid on. The parents didn't put the oldest 9yo in a BA as he could swim 25m in the pool!

Second that. Really is important that you have the right safety gear, and clothing. It's amazing the difference it makes. It's more when you get tired and cold you really notice the difference. A reliable rescue is key.

But on a more positive note. The Renegade is more than capable of whatever you can throw at it

·
Registered
607 Posts

Second that. Really is important that you have the right safety gear, and clothing. It's amazing the difference it makes. It's more when you get tired and cold you really notice the difference. A reliable rescue is key.

But on a more positive note. The Renegade is more than capable of whatever you can throw at it

Thanks, and yeah I have paddled several times before with rentals and my in-laws kayaks and I was the captain on my high school swim team and I always use life-jackets (buoyancy aids) when I paddle. But I don't own my own Kayak or have cross bars yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.