Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just curious. My oil on my dipstick is a little below half in the safe area. Got an oil change about 3 weeks ago and have driven 600 miles...is my car just burning through oil or is it normal?

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Make sure you are following the owner's manual guidelines. The appropriate method for the 2.4 is to turn it off and check after like 5 or 10 minutes. Not on a cold engine.

In general markings of high and low usually represent a quart. I'll usually top up at half a quart down.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you are following the owner's manual guidelines. The appropriate method for the 2.4 is to turn it off and check after like 5 or 10 minutes. Not on a cold engine.

In general markings of high and low usually represent a quart. I'll usually top up at half a quart down.

Thanks raz-0 l, how often do you do so? I have mine changed 6 months or after 5k miles. Also, when an oil change is performed does it usually have to be at the top of the marking for high? Unsure if im burning crazy amounts of oil. And monitor it this month before i bring it in to a dealer and get charged some diagnositc charge

·
Super Moderator
2,780 Posts
That is way to early with full Synthetic! On my JK 3.8 I change my oil from 6,500 to 9,000. That is the range when my dip stick hits add a quart. Months with lots of off roading it is closer to the 6500 & of course little off roading around 9000 mile mark.

On our BU did the first one at 1,000 2nd at 9,000 3rd will be at about 17,000. I check the dip stick at lease once a month if it get low I take it as it comes.

Our first BU did not burn a drop of oil just like our newer one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is way to early with full Synthetic! On my JK 3.8 I change my oil from 6,500 to 9,000. That is the range when my dip stick hits add a quart. Months with lots of off roading it is closer to the 6500 & of course little off roading around 9000 mile mark.

On our BU did the first one at 1,000 2nd at 9,000 3rd will be at about 17,000. I check the dip stick at lease once a month if it get low I take it as it comes.

Our first BU did not burn a drop of oil just like our newer one.
Thanks raz-0 l, how often do you do so? I have mine changed 6 months or after 5k miles. Also, when an oil change is performed does it usually have to be at the top of the marking for high? Unsure if im burning crazy amounts of oil. And monitor it this month before i bring it in to a dealer and get charged some diagnositc charge
I get mine changed about every 5k miles, and it's just starting to get dark/dirty around then. I think about once a month or so would be a good time to check it. If you're really worried about it burning oil, you can check it in the morning after it's been sitting overnight so it's easy to tell the level. Then check again in the morning after about a week or so of driving your normal commute or route(s). But when the engine is warm it's hard to get a super accurate reading. I like to check it when it's cold in the morning when it's parked in the garage (which is rare) or on the street since it's flat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
well i went thru he oil bs which i said i would not get involved with any more BUT after five oil changes, a full proper reading is 1/4 inch above the hash mark and i marked my dip stick there. i put in one qt. when the oil is measured 1/4 inch below the top hash mark. works for me. figure it out when you get oil changes. have not lost any oil since my oil consumption test

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah mine usually goes to the tip of the dipstick by the time i need an oil change, is it alright for it to go that low in that set amount of time? Never really had to top off a car prior and it seems like it just burns oil but never really check checked. Went to my mechanic and they say its usually normal. But add a qt if its below safe area. Ill top it this weekend and check the following week if u guys stick around. Checked that oil post and got worried cause mines a 2.4 L

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
I check mine about once a month. Given my driving routine, the renny tells me I need new oil sometime between 5500 and 6500 miles. Which works out to two oil changes a year. I check the dip stick once per month unless I have reason to be suspicious. For example we got a nice cold snap here a couple years ago. There were about two weeks where IIR we didn't get over 20F and hit -9F overnight once. It sounded funny so I checked it outside the normal schedule. It was ~1/2 quart low, but it was also only a month from it's oil change. Which isn't worrisome, but I don't think it liked being that low AND having the oil be thickened by the cold in the morning, so I chucked in 1/2 a quart and everything was happier.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah mine usually goes to the tip of the dipstick by the time i need an oil change, is it alright for it to go that low in that set amount of time? Never really had to top off a car prior and it seems like it just burns oil but never really check checked. Went to my mechanic and they say its usually normal. But add a qt if its below safe area. Ill top it this weekend and check the following week if u guys stick around. Checked that oil post and got worried cause mines a 2.4 L

You should never let the oil go below the hash marks, as that is 1 quart low. Anything lower on the dipstick is asking for engine damage. Adding a quart or two between oil changes, in my opinion is no big deal. I have had about 68 cars in my life, both new and used, and adding oil from time to time is just being a responsible owner. I have driven several million miles, and I have never had an oil related failure, never.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I get mine changed about every 5k miles, and it's just starting to get dark/dirty around then. I think about once a month or so would be a good time to check it. If you're really worried about it burning oil, you can check it in the morning after it's been sitting overnight so it's easy to tell the level. Then check again in the morning after about a week or so of driving your normal commute or route(s). But when the engine is warm it's hard to get a super accurate reading. I like to check it when it's cold in the morning when it's parked in the garage (which is rare) or on the street since it's flat.
You DO realize your procedure check is in direct conflict with the owners manual ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
cold is the only way, give the oil plenty of time to drip into the oil pan. the ten minute rule does not allow oil to drain into the pan totally imo

·
Registered
361 Posts
cold is the only way, give the oil plenty of time to drip into the oil pan. the ten minute rule does not allow oil to drain into the pan totally imo
No worries, your engine your rules.

If you want, write a letter to the people that designed the engine, the people that built the engine, the people that market the engine and the people that warranty the engine and tell them that you know better than they do and their procedures are totally wrong.

I think it's stupid as hell the procedures they state, but kinda like I said above; their engine, their rules. I want this silly engine design to last until I get rid of it, so I follow their rules. I haven't lasted well over a half century on this planet by constantly trying to prove my way is the right way.

I get that you're saying this tongue-in-cheek, but you may mislead the new owners...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So once a month ir so is top off i assume? In my city there are drastic inclines and i incline to the tallest point 2x-maybe 3x a day. Furthermore, i didnt really notice until i checked my dipstick and it was basically near the tip on a war engine aka most likely it was below the safe area. But i was due for a change or at least close. From wht i understand as long as oil reads on the stick, you should be relatively good as even that low the low level oil indicator did not pop on. I thought since that incident, it was burning engine oil like the issues stated on the oil forum that was stickied lol. Imma do a top off this weekend and check in a week due to paranoia.

I assume due to the incline daily it burns more because of the revs. But the reason i let the oil get that low i guess is because i never experienced that with the hyundais and toyotas ive driven before.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So once a month ir so is top off i assume? In my city there are drastic inclines and i incline to the tallest point 2x-maybe 3x a day. Furthermore, i didnt really notice until i checked my dipstick and it was basically near the tip on a war engine aka most likely it was below the safe area. But i was due for a change or at least close. From wht i understand as long as oil reads on the stick, you should be relatively good as even that low the low level oil indicator did not pop on. I thought since that incident, it was burning engine oil like the issues stated on the oil forum that was stickied lol. Imma do a top off this weekend and check in a week due to paranoia.

I assume due to the incline daily it burns more because of the revs. But the reason i let the oil get that low i guess is because i never experienced that with the hyundais and toyotas ive driven before.

The oil should never be allowed to go below the hash marks on the dipstick. The bottom of the hash marks is one quart low. The bottom of the stick is starving the engine for oil and one could assume, causing damage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No worries, your engine your rules.

If you want, write a letter to the people that designed the engine, the people that built the engine, the people that market the engine and the people that warranty the engine and tell them that you know better than they do and their procedures are totally wrong.

I think it's stupid as hell the procedures they state, but kinda like I said above; their engine, their rules. I want this silly engine design to last until I get rid of it, so I follow their rules. I haven't lasted well over a half century on this planet by constantly trying to prove my way is the right way.

I get that you're saying this tongue-in-cheek, but you may mislead the new owners...
maybe their rules are to allow dealer shops to make more money. maybe the DIP STICK should be modified to show proper oil levels. i modified mine, and all is well with the new markings

·
Registered
55 Posts
You DO realize your procedure check is in direct conflict with the owners manual?
Yes, I fully know. I have tried both, and have gotten the same result with both methods. Letting it sit overnight just makes the level a bit more visible since the while dipstick and dipstick tube isn't covered in oil.

·
Registered
361 Posts
maybe their rules are to allow dealer shops to make more money. maybe the DIP STICK should be modified to show proper oil levels. i modified mine, and all is well with the new markings
How does letting the vehicle sit for 5 minutes before checking allow the dealer/shops to make more money ? Ya lost me on that one....

I, too, have thought about modifying my dipstick for a cold/hot reading like auto tranny's used to have. The current approved procedure is beyond asinine.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, I fully know. I have tried both, and have gotten the same result with both methods. Letting it sit overnight just makes the level a bit more visible since the while dipstick and dipstick tube isn't covered in oil.
Not with mine. On a cold engine is sits about 3/4 to almost 1 quart low. If I follow the stupid procedure it's right on the money. I need to get a glare from the sun or overhead lighting to see the oil on the stick. The hash marks could have been rolled in a little deeper, they are barely visible.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts