Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my car in for the differential noise issue. I also complained about the shifting behavior caused by my previous transmission flash and requested any updates that might help.

Back in mid February they told me I didn't need any. Come first week of August, it's a whopping 7.

I suspect at this point, it is questionable if inquiring about software updates will get you any useful information if they don't have the car hooked up to their diagnostic system. One big difference between then and now was that my dealer switched over to keeping a bunch of ODB port dongles in a basket on the service desk, and the rep would hook up every car they processed. It also apparently autofills a bunch of stuff for them in their book keeping as well.

Anyway, I got:

TSB 21-054-15, which apparently pre-dated my last visit by a month or so and I never got (never had any of the symptoms either, things shifted out of park just fine). It's for the ESM electric shift module

18-063-16 for the PCM (powertrain control module)which is a super secret mystery update with no info.

21-021-16 for the TCM, which is another mystery update.

08-014-16 REV A. is yet another mystery update with no info. for the IPC (instrument panel cluster).

08-127-15 another mystery update for the radio freqeuncy hub aka RFH.

05-001-16 REV A for ABS,

08-084-15 for EPS for the electric power steering for an indicator lamp issue I wasn't having.

I will say that the after the latest mystery updates, the shifting is back to being a WHOLE lot better, and I don't appear to have given up any of the fuel economy improvements that had come with the last TCM update. Also, the annoying grumble like the engine was starting to lug around 1500rpm is GONE. The engine only gets buzzy at one specific RPM range now instead of several, which is pretty normal for a NA inline four.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We took my Renegade in for oil, tire rotation, and to address the hitch and lug wrench recalls. They didn't do the recalls, told us to bring it back because they also need to do a software update. Their computers were all down. The software update was supposed to take 90 minutes. I have no idea why that would take so long, so I guess they aren't going to just put a USB stick into my console like I did before.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We took my Renegade in for oil, tire rotation, and to address the hitch and lug wrench recalls. They didn't do the recalls, told us to bring it back because they also need to do a software update. Their computers were all down. The software update was supposed to take 90 minutes. I have no idea why that would take so long, so I guess they aren't going to just put a USB stick into my console like I did before.
The updates can take a while. I had some updates done a few months ago that took over 2 hours to complete.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got a ton of flashes. IPC, RFH, ABS, EPS, ESM. The transmission seems to be less hesitant to kick down for acceleration (change to lower range). Maybe a bit less of a snap to 2nd as well. The parking brake set to auto-on as default. Running MPG reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got several flash updates as well. Took over 2 hours. I noticed my MPG indicator shown less efficient readings... is it because they reset all the totals? Should I wait to refill the tank again. Glad I found this forum ;)

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Got several flash updates as well. Took over 2 hours. I noticed my MPG indicator shown less efficient readings... is it because they reset all the totals? Should I wait to refill the tank again. Glad I found this forum ;)
I would refill the tank. When my Renegade had the software update, my mpg figures were reset, if I remember correctly.
Hope you are enjoying the world of the Jeep Renegade, otherwise known as the forum :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought my Trailhawk last week (new 2016 model), I really should have had them check with service to make sure all updates were complete before picking the vehicle up.

I guess I could just wait for my first oil change?

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After going through many an update cycle argument with my dealer when checking via VIN, the ONLY way to get it right is to have one of the diagnostic tools hooked up to the vehicle. My dealer agrees as they bought one of the wireless dongles for each service writer station and scan any vehicle being checked in for service.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the only way to check is through the dealer?
The only complete, reliable way to check is using the firmware updating system hooked up to the vehicle. Only FCA and their dealers have access to this. Many critical ones will be noted in TSBs by vin ranges or dates of manufacture. Those TSBs are available by other routes as well as the dealer. Dealers doing VIN lookups should be able to be 100% correct, but this appears to not be the case as some updates you only qualify for based on VIN AND the completion of previous flashes or work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
brought my 2016 in for an oil leak @5500 miles. dealer said it was a loose oil filter from the factory. He told me i needed 6 flashes.

21-010-16 paid .2 by warranty
05-001-16 " .2 " ''
18-061-16 " .2 " "
08-021-16 " .3 " "
08-014-16 " .4 " "
08-127-15 " .2 " " for a total of 1.5 hours. so updates take awhile.

Does anyone have a site to interpret these codes? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would refill the tank. When my Renegade had the software update, my mpg figures were reset, if I remember correctly.
Hope you are enjoying the world of the Jeep Renegade, otherwise known as the forum :)
I filled the tank twice. City is 13 mpg. Highway about 20mpg. Is this normal? Sounds very low.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I filled the tank twice. City is 13 mpg. Highway about 20mpg. Is this normal? Sounds very low.

I hope not! I get better than that in my mustang GT.

We had to take the renegade back in today. Had several flashes done yesterday due to a "service engine" light. After two hours dealer gave us the car and 2 miles down the road the light came back on. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

That's super low. Being super pathological in my driving, I can get about 17.6 mpg if I try real hard or I drive aggressively with AWD turned on under stop and go/speed and slow conditions. To get below that, I need to have AWD on, slippery surfaces, the defogger forcing the AC on, and cruddy winter mix gas, AND drive fairly aggressively. Even then, I still get about around 16mpg.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.