Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trailhawk 2.0 automatic (diesel) and I know this is going to sound really thick, but... how do you start the engine!

All the previous diesel cars I've had require you to partially turn the key for the various lights on the dash to come on and then only turn the key to start the motor when those lights have gone out.This is my first automatic car.

So with the TH, when I follow the above procedure - the engine won't start. So I have to turn the key back to "off" wait a few moments and then turn the key all the way to start the engine.

I've followed the instructions in the manual, but they don't help....what am I doing wrong?????

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Is the gear lever in park or neutral? I ask as I have had automatics in the past and they should only start in park or neutral. My previous vehicle was a 2013 Scenic diesel and that started on the button. Put key in, dash lights come on, then start the engine.

Other than that I dunno mate, as mine is petrol and manual.

·
Registered
271 Posts
One other gotcha if you set the automatic 'hand'brake option, is that it won't release the handbrake automatically unless your wearing a seatbelt. Confused the **** out of me at first.
It's much better with the automatic release option set, however that's got me a few times now!

·
Registered
429 Posts
This is one of the many reasons I prefer driving my old Jeep. Manual transmission, no clutch interlock with anything, can start with clutch pedal out and in gear, if I wanted. No seat belt warning. Used to have a timed buzzer, but I took it out because I don't need a reminder. Had a real neat electromechanical timer. Bimetallic strip the would heat up and open the buzzer circuit. Old fashioned parking break. It's fun having four pedals on the floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.