Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note just did the trip to the store at night and I would get license plate light error once in awhile. Not like before. I ordered option B to try that.

So I have been upgrading all my bulbs to LED bulbs. I have used serveral brands in the past and LASFIT seems to be the best I have used and the brightest. They have USA support and the package says made in the USA. I had originally installed Auxbeam but the LED light output doesn't seem to be near as good as LASFIT. Here are the bulbs I used. When you install them they will flash the License plate bulb replacement error on and off constantly. I found you have to install a resister because the LED doesn't draw near the power that the incandescent bulb did. This fix required me to put the resister in line with the led. If you don't want to splice into the wires I will include another option that people have said will work.

First the parts

Option A (Parts for using the original housing)
I used these LED bulbs

Here are the error code resistors I orders to get rid of the error code.

Here are the UY scotchlok connectors I used. They are gel filled inside the connector.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is option B (replace the License plate housing with an LED housing)
This option does not require splicing into the wiring.

You will pop out the lenses and replace with these. I have not tried these, but I have read they work and eliminate the code. This guide will not show you how to install these but they just plug into the OEM bulb housing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now let's install them

First lift your gate and get to the lights. I have already installed the bulbs here. You can either remove the inner plastic or do what I did and pry out the housing. I used a pry tool or a flat head screwdriver and came in from the drivers side on each lense. The passender side is a solid plastice slip so don't use that side. Pry down. Note I bent the clips but you can bend them back into shape once you have removed the lense.
Hood Grille Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can see the clip in this picture. Once you pry down the lense comes out. When I bent the clip and reinstalled the lense it was really loose, so I had to bend it back.
Hood Gesture Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here I am testing if they work and eliminate the warning light. They did. You do need the oem connector to go into the lense so I had to splice them inline with water proof connectors. That is why I went with scotchloks. No stripping of wires and they just crimp with a scotchlok crimper or a pair of plyers.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here I had removed some of the cloth tape and spliced the resistor inline. I don't know if it matters which end to splice the resistor in but I made sure to connect the resistor in the same orientation when I tested it.

Here you can see the scotchlok installed. The wires push up past a pair of metal bars that push themselves past the jacket and crimp on the conductor inside. To install these again you do not have to strip the cabling. Just make sure before you crimp them the wire is all the way at the top of the connector.

Hand Tire Gesture Yellow Finger

Here is both sides installed before I buttoned everything up.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now reverse the steps to reinstall the bulbs and you should be golden. Note I had to kind of curl the metal clips back in place so that way they would fit in tight again.

I have tested on my 2022 renegade and they work as expected with no warning lights. LASFIT bulbs are not polarity sensitive either BTW.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well just did a trip at night with the lights on. Every once in awhile I am getting a license plate light out. I ordered option b and I will try that.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thanks for the well documented procedure for changing the standard bulbs for LED's.

I know LED's are all the rage now, but I couldn't help but think, "All this for a license plate light ??". Standard bulbs cost, what, 10 bucks or less for a 2 pack and they last for years ? My 2017 has the original bulbs since...2017.

I guess I'm too old and set in my ways to understand why everyone wants to convert to LED's and then deal with all the issues related to same over a bulb. With my Latitude having a propensity to throw random errors at will on the dash, I am hesitant to cut any wires in that house of cards that is our wiring harness.

But, your Jeep, your rules. I'm glad you found a solution and shared your trials and tribulations with us. You undoubtedly helped others considering this swap-out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I
Thanks for the well documented procedure for changing the standard bulbs for LED's.

I know LED's are all the rage now, but I couldn't help but think, "All this for a license plate light ??". Standard bulbs cost, what, 10 bucks or less for a 2 pack and they last for years ? My 2017 has the original bulbs since...2017.

I guess I'm too old and set in my ways to understand why everyone wants to convert to LED's and then deal with all the issues related to same over a bulb. With my Latitude having a propensity to throw random errors at will on the dash, I am hesitant to cut any wires in that house of cards that is our wiring harness.

But, your Jeep, your rules. I'm glad you found a solution and shared your trials and tribulations with us. You undoubtedly helped others considering this swap-out.
I like the bright white output that LEDs give over the dim yellow light the normal bulbs give.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts