Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I've had many cars, even built a few over the years and been on many forums. Looks like this one's off to a good start.

I commute 50 miles into the Northeast Ohio snowbelt everyday over our 6 month winters and find FWD just isn't the best answer to the pucker factor.

Am so glad a small form factor Jeep is coming out. Loved my Samurai, and my '07 Liberty, but they don't give me 40mpg like my little Kia Rio5 does on a 100 mile trek 5 days a week.

Gladly go down to 30mpg for 4 wheel footedness.

So in the meantime, I'm comparing the drivetrains and gearing, checking the construction, wondering about temorary removability of the wheel arch trim for yearly rustfroofing against these darn salt-bath winters (and I refer you to the Liberty recall on the rear trailing arm corrosion).

So, good luck to you all. Hope to give you the Jeep salute sometime. :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Welcome to the forum @JFS

How are you liking the Kia? I hear a number of people complaining about build quality of them but my experience with the few i have been in has been good.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum @JFS

How are you liking the Kia? I hear a number of people complaining about build quality of them but my experience with the few i have been in has been good.
I really like the build quality overall. I have no complaints and I'm like the Chef Ramsey for cars.

My major complaint is in the programming of the drivetrain. Kia likes to keep the automatic tranny in 6th gear so the engine lugs around at 1500 rpm all day where theres no power. Seriously, I've never seen a company manage to get so much horsepower (138) do so little. My Scion xA (101hp) screams with its 5 speed manual and it puts down the Kia everytime. Its all about gearing and shift points. But on the flat highway, the Kia'll get 40mpg all day long.

I'll definitely be test driving the Renegade's 2 engines and setups. I'm leaning toward the 2.4L and auto, but if the drivetrain's programmed to be wet dog for fuel economy, I'll be hurting cause I need to do a little towing.

Now if they come up with a 2.4 married to a 6 to 9 speed manual with 4WD ... I'm on it! :D

Reactions: XCLR8TN

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm sure they will eventually do something fun to it...
I looked and see the Dart has the 2.4L with the 6 speed attached.

Just not the ratio spread the auto has. I'll still have to try both setups.

Till then, I'll be eBaying all my stuff.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.