Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, I took mine back to the dealership yesterday and advised them about you having the same problem. They did another "thermometer" test at "Low" speed while my Rene was sitting still in the parking lot...and of course the thermometer test still showed it was working as expected per Chrysler's specifications. So...I took the tech for a ride down the road. On MAX Air, fan wide open...the thermostat went from 44.9 at idle speeds...up to 73.9 degrees while driving. We did the same thing with the fan on low, and it performed the same. It does fine sitting still, but while moving, the temperature coming from the vent rises. The tech knew right then something was wrong. They opened up a claim for me and will be getting back with me when they hear back from Chrysler. The heat is starting to break now and I'm good with rolling the windows down, but at least it should be fixed by next summer when I really need it.
Good information. This does sound like the exact same problems I've been having. Sounds like I should have do the same thing once I bring it back into another dealership. The temps are dropping now and I'm concerned if I try to bring this to another dealer they're going to tell me there's no trouble found and I'll have to wait until next summer when the temps outside are hot again to show them the bad A/C symptoms and the rattling MySky roof.

At this point I'm really POed at the original dealership I brought this in for diagnosis. Yesterday, my wife tells me she's out of wind shied washer fluid. I said, what? They're supposed to fill that up during the oil change we did at the dealership usually aren't they? Well they didn't. So I open the hood to fill the washer fluid. The 1st thing I see is oil spilled all over the top of the engine. It's bad enough this dealership can't seem to be able to diagnose their ass from a hole in the ground, but they can't even take the proper care to not spill oil over the top of the engine when performing an oil change.:mad:

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well, I took mine back to the dealership yesterday and advised them about you having the same problem. They did another "thermometer" test at "Low" speed while my Rene was sitting still in the parking lot...and of course the thermometer test still showed it was working as expected per Chrysler's specifications. So...I took the tech for a ride down the road. On MAX Air, fan wide open...the thermostat went from 44.9 at idle speeds...up to 73.9 degrees while driving. We did the same thing with the fan on low, and it performed the same. It does fine sitting still, but while moving, the temperature coming from the vent rises. The tech knew right then something was wrong. They opened up a claim for me and will be getting back with me when they hear back from Chrysler. The heat is starting to break now and I'm good with rolling the windows down, but at least it should be fixed by next summer when I really need it.
I've been back at it, at another dealership. They seem to be making much more of an effort but the current status is "It's within spec. We checked the system for leaks, and it is good. We can't improve the design of the A/C system, we can only try to fix it if somethings is not working."

So this is great information you posted because it seems very similar to what is going on with mine and the dealerships are struggling to reproduce the problem. I just finished watching a bunch of YouTube videos on how to test the performance of a car A/C system. I'm heading to the autoparts store to purchase an A/C thermometer and if I have to diagnose this myself and post YouTube videos of the problem, then I guess that's what I will need to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do know that R134 doesn't work as well as R12 in AC systems and R-1234yf isn't as good as R134 but systems have evolved to work with it so berating 'this over that' is pretty much a moot point.

My fist though on read was 'low refrigerant' level? checking is relatively easy to do yourself, but I haven't noticed the new R-1234yfin on my local Reibe, kelly, napa, autozone shelves (but I haven't really needed to look either)

If your still under warranty I'd say let the dealer fix it... or stop by an AC shop (many do free diagnostics) and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been back at it, at another dealership. They seem to be making much more of an effort but the current status is "It's within spec. We checked the system for leaks, and it is good. We can't improve the design of the A/C system, we can only try to fix it if somethings is not working."

So this is great information you posted because it seems very similar to what is going on with mine and the dealerships are struggling to reproduce the problem. I just finished watching a bunch of YouTube videos on how to test the performance of a car A/C system. I'm heading to the autoparts store to purchase an A/C thermometer and if I have to diagnose this myself and post YouTube videos of the problem, then I guess that's what I will need to do.
What did you find out about your A/C system... my 2016 is doing the same exact thing and has been since I bought it have taken to dealership 3 times no luck just had an ac company evacuate the 1234yf and recharge the system still nothing

·
Registered
212 Posts
What did you find out about your A/C system... my 2016 is doing the same exact thing and has been since I bought it have taken to dealership 3 times no luck just had an ac company evacuate the 1234yf and recharge the system still nothing
The original poster Rednroll has been banned. He's not going to be able to respond.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
From previous experience with A/C on FCA cars it's normally:

1) Internal temperature sensor gone. (It will work on "Min" if so.)

2) Not enough refrigerant.

3) Too much refridgerant/pressure.

On one Alfa, one place regassed the system to what was in their book and the A/C got worse. ( Cooling less. )
Took it to another place and they said it was too high, so they bleed off some and worked perfectly.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts