Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
It does look really cool, and useful too. I do question whether something styled like that is going to be making production though. They may build it but I have a feeling it won't look much like the concept. The idea of a crossover truck is interesting though. Just might be something people would really go for.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it did go to market and DID NOT look like a Subaru Outbak Baja, I would consider it. But I just showed it to my wife and she said "that is the fugliest thing I've ever seen"

I told her that it's a good thing her taste in men is better than her taste in cars!! I'll let you imagine what kind of look she gave me...;)

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
woah. something dead washed up on the beach all bloated... lets poke it with a stick.

Agree with it conceptually, but it's fugly IMO. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. A love it or hate it look usually inspires more loyalty, passion, and sales than a bland me too look.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like it and could see how it can work into the american truck market. might be something that can help form the foundation for a truck that competes with the chevrolet colorado and all in it's segment

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they do specifically state that its priorities ARE NOT payload, towing capacity, or ground clearance...

So they do not intend to compete with midsize trucks (tacoma, canyon, colorado, etc). They believe there is a market for a CUV size vehicle with similar capabilities with some outdoor stowage capacity. It's basically a mall-crawler with a bed on the back. Dare I say a super-cool Subaru Outback Baja? Or better yet, a super-cool and futuristic El Camino or Ranchero?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
No real ground clearance, payload, or towing capacity?

More like yet-another-not-so-cool SSR. :rolleyes:
It's not for off roading, so it doesn't need ground clearance. It has expandable payload (still no idea how much that is), and it has 300 ft lb of torque in something the size of the jeep cherokee (actually maybe a bit bigger), which means it should be able to tow in the same neighborhood (4500lbs for the cherokee).

It's not an off-roader, it's not clear how well it does with 4x8 sheet product, but you can probably deal with smaller furniture, motorcycles, personal watercraft towing, etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
and it has 300 ft lb of torque in something the size of the jeep cherokee (actually maybe a bit bigger), which means it should be able to tow in the same neighborhood (4500lbs for the cherokee).
Numbers don't necessarily mean anything. My car has something in the range of 300 lb-ft of torque (estimated... I've never dynoed it) and it is rated to tow a grand total of... zero pounds.

The SSR had up to 400 lb-ft of torque with the 6L V8, yet was rated for towing only 2500 pounds.

I think this Hyundai is just a silly design exercise and if ever they went in that direction the final product wouldn't look remotely close to what we see here.

But maybe I'm just a pessimist. LOL

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So all I want to know is when do we get a Renegade Baja pickup?

Then we would get the payload, towing capacity and ground clearance the Hyundai Santa Cruz lacks?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think that people are going to have to find value in this type of model that they can't find with a CUV or small pickup truck that already exists. I just don't know what value there is in this if it isn't any more capable, doesn't have any extra cargo space, etc...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.