Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my Renegade, next in line at the drive thru ATM. I needed to see the amount of the check I was depositing, so I reached for the overhead light. Weird, it didn't come on. I press it again, just a faint blue light. "This can't be right", I think my self.

Well, it turns out I dialed 911. Combined with the fact I had the heater running full blast (it's 16 degrees outside), I never even heard the dispatcher talking to me. Until I noticed the entire LCD was displaying a warning that I was being connected with Emergency Service.

I apologized, and the dispatch disconnected with little fanfare. No harm done. But I have to wonder, who else has done this???

·
Registered
580 Posts
The overhead light button is forward of the 911 button. I wondered about this, but if you were in an accident the 911 button would be easier to find and a little closer.
I'm a bit surprised the 911 button isn't backlighted. Don't some cars autonomously call 911 if they have detected a serious impact?

Anyway, I wouldn't have this potential problem. I idon'thave a smart phone,, and presuming I brought my dumb phone along for the ride, which is questionable, I don't think it can be paired with the car's comm system. My phone is primitive as can be. Once step above a string and tin cans.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So there's a 911 panic button near the overhead light switch?
Mine doesn't have one, but the loaded automatic I test drove did. I'm guessing it's part of one of the technology or safety packages.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was in my Renegade, next in line at the drive thru ATM. I needed to see the amount of the check I was depositing, so I reached for the overhead light. Weird, it didn't come on. I press it again, just a faint blue light. "This can't be right", I think my self.

Well, it turns out I dialed 911. Combined with the fact I had the heater running full blast (it's 16 degrees outside), I never even heard the dispatcher talking to me. Until I noticed the entire LCD was displaying a warning that I was being connected with Emergency Service.

I apologized, and the dispatch disconnected with little fanfare. No harm done. But I have to wonder, who else has done this???
Did this within a week of buying my Jeep. At the time it was the AC that was running...

Difference in my situation was that I tried to shut it off, and couldn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was told at the dealership when I picked mine up that if I accidentally pushed the 911 button that I had 10 seconds to hit it again to shut it off. I have almost pushed it, but have not fully pushed it on accident yet. Crossing fingers I don't push it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Count me in the crowd. Bought the Trailhawk for the wife and was driving it from the dealership in Virginia home to Delaware. Of course I didn't read any of the manual and waived off the salesman, wanting to just get on the road.

Feeling around for the light I knew had to be somewhere. Pressed a button twice and was rewarded with a 911 call. Imagine my surprise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't have it, but I'm surprised they don't do an automatic investigation like if you call 911 from home. Around here legally they have to send the police to investigate even 911 hang-ups.

Would have plenty of lights to see...red and blue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.