Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger last night! I'm the proud new owner of a Mohave Sand Latitude (1.4L) with Bark Brown/Ski Grey interior. It's a great combo. The best part? The price - $17,993 asking price! I didn't put down a penny, traded in my 2012 base model Kia Sportage (60k miles) and walked out the door with a payment under $250 (quite a bit less than I was paying for the Sportage)!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Used?

·
Registered
364 Posts
How!? Latitude MSRP is over $21,000. Must be some sweet incentives to get it down to $17k.

Reactions: Mkalkofen

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 1.4 seems to be a nice engine as long as you don't want to tow with it.
I'll report back on that later :) I did a ton of research and this has more torque and very similar HP to the last two vehicles I towed with, so I'm not too worried about it. I know, I know - a lot of people think I'm nuts and love to lecture me, but I've logged many, many miles towing with these smaller vehicles and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'll report back on that later :) I did a ton of research and this has more torque and very similar HP to the last two vehicles I towed with, so I'm not too worried about it. I know, I know - a lot of people think I'm nuts and love to lecture me, but I've logged many, many miles towing with these smaller vehicles and never had a problem.

The manufacturer recommends not to tow with that engine does it not?
Does your insurance cover you if you go against manufacturers recommendations?

·
Registered
607 Posts
The manufacturer recommends not to tow with that engine does it not?
Does your insurance cover you if you go against manufacturers recommendations?
It is NOT the engine that you have to worry about...the Transmission is what will fail when you tow too much. I don't think the little transmission on the renegade 1.4L can handle more than 2,000 lbs, actually the 2,000 lb rating is for the automatic transmission that is attached to the 2.4L. I would guess maybe a 1200 lb max on the manual trans?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It is NOT the engine that you have to worry about...the Transmission is what will fail when you tow too much. I don't think the little transmission on the renegade 1.4L can handle more than 2,000 lbs, actually the 2,000 lb rating is for the automatic transmission that is attached to the 2.4L. I would guess maybe a 1200 lb max on the manual trans?

You keep saying this. do you have evidence?
It is not the engine or the gear box.
It is what jeep have rated it at for the north American market.
The same car can tow 2200lbs in the EU.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You keep saying this. do you have evidence?
It is not the engine or the gear box.
It is what jeep have rated it at for the north American market.
The same car can tow 2200lbs in the EU.
1200lbs is just a guess on the 1.4L, I am speaking for the North America Market. But in general if you tow too much weight your transmission will break, not your engine. When you try to pull or slow the weight that you are pulling, that extra weight causes extra force on the transmission, and the transmission heats up very quickly and fails.

"Exceeding the recommended towing capacity causes the transmission to work harder than it's meant to, which creates more heat energy. This heat breaks down the transmission fluid that lubricates the transmission's moving parts. Without proper lubrication, the transmission can seize up and cause major damage." - howstuffworks.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
According to the vehicle builder at Jeep.com, you can't get the tow package on a 2x4. Only the 4x4 has the option of the Tow Pack.

And in doing so (adding the pack) it requires the update to the 2.4l and the 9-speed.

It's reckless, and dangerous to everyone on the road to tow with vehicle not built to tow.

Edit: Also, the website states that the Renegade can tow "Up to 2000lbs towing". Again, that's for the 2.4l 9-speed with Tow Pack.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
1200lbs is just a guess on the 1.4L, I am speaking for the North America Market. But in general if you tow too much weight your transmission will break, not your engine. When you try to pull or slow the weight that you are pulling, that extra weight causes extra force on the transmission, and the transmission heats up very quickly and fails.

"Exceeding the recommended towing capacity causes the transmission to work harder than it's meant to, which creates more heat energy. This heat breaks down the transmission fluid that lubricates the transmission's moving parts. Without proper lubrication, the transmission can seize up and cause major damage." - howstuffworks.com

Howstuffworks and guesswork then?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.