Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I am getting ready for work, I often find shelter under the lift gate, especially when it tis raining. With the hours that I am working, I find myself getting ready in the dark; digging through my bin of gear, sometimes even trying to put a little polish on my boots.

Somebody on the forum had some pictures posted, off related topic, but I saw a light mounted on his lift gate… Kudos for the idea, I can’t remember where I saw who posted it, but thank you.

Now with my gate up, using a pair of flood lights, I no longer have to get ready in the dark.

I also relocated my license plates. The rear plate is wrapped around the corner panel, the pic doesn’t do it any justice. The front plate has been moved from on the grill to under the fair-lead.

Oh, and I got my ‘A’ Pillar gauges installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
When I am getting ready for work, I often find shelter under the lift gate, especially when it tis raining. With the hours that I am working, I find myself getting ready in the dark; digging through my bin of gear, sometimes even trying to put a little polish on my boots.

Somebody on the forum had some pictures posted, off related topic, but I saw a light mounted on his lift gate… Kudos for the idea, I can’t remember where I saw who posted it, but thank you.

Now with my gate up, using a pair of flood lights, I no longer have to get ready in the dark.

I also relocated my license plates. The rear plate is wrapped around the corner panel, the pic doesn’t do it any justice. The front plate has been moved from on the grill to under the fair-lead.

Oh, and I got my ‘A’ Pillar gauges installed.
Your Renegade looks amazing. The availability of tips and ideas on this forum is tremendous and it is nice to see people using the forum. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great!!

What parts did you use for the lights!
For the lights: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5AAX5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZPX32N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I took power from the socket right there in the back.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm trying to do the headlights in the grill. Did you get power from the 12v outlet in the cargo area, if so how did you run the wires? I've seen video removing the lift gate panels but not the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying to do the headlights in the grill. Did you get power from the 12v outlet in the cargo area, if so how did you run the wires? I've seen video removing the lift gate panels but not the ceiling.
I did get the power from the 12V outlet.

I ran the wire harness through the rubber isolator in the liftgate up top, across the top under the headliner, down the left side interior panel to the 12V power outlet and put the switch for the light just above the outlet, high enough to keep anything in the cargo area from bumping the switch.

The headliner comes down by removing the rear weather stripping, and then there are two (2) panel pins that mount to the ceiling that will pop out, I used a long screwdriver, which will give you enough room to run your wires.

Pop the panel pins back in, reinstall the weather stripping and you’re done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got my lights installed while the forum was down, or so it seemed to me.
I got the "headlights" from Super BrightLEDS.com pn MRLF-1NW-MTB. For som reason I can't copy the link. Running the wiring wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be once I got the weather seal off. The hardest part was running the wire through the isolator. I took power from the cargo light instead of the 12v outlet so there would be power without having to have the ignition on and I grounded the lights and the switch at the fuse block mount. Overall fairly easy and looks cool!
20191007_174130.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got the "headlights" from Super BrightLEDS.com pn MRLF-1NW-MTB. For som reason I can't copy the link.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have now been told that I am like my Son and not the other way around.

He likes all the lights on his car and now I have just ordered up my set of lights for the inside of the tail gate :LOL::LOL::LOL:

@IDMOR may I presume this is simply a case of joining by soldering bot black wires and earthing them. Then join and solder bother red wires and use a connector onto my "boot" lights? What colour of wire is that on the harness.

I would prefer the lights to only come on when the boot is open.

You have also made me think about using the lights as really bright DRLs and rear working lights for recovering the boat onto the trailer in darkness. Though the boat also has LED spot lamps I think the Jeep will look better with them mounted in the bumper if possible.

As for your A-post gauges, OMFG that is awesome. ???

It is my belief that you have given lots of people on the forum a vast array of light combinations to consider. :unsure::unsure::unsure:(y)(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@IDMOR may I presume this is simply a case of joining by soldering bot black wires and earthing them. Then join and solder bother red wires and use a connector onto my "boot" lights? What colour of wire is that on the harness.
I got the power from the 12V outlet, and ran the ground off of the fuse box mount.

I added the fuse to the main fuse box under the hood so that the 12V outlet has constant power.

I ran the wire harness through the rubber isolator in the liftgate up top, across the top under the headliner, down the left side interior panel to the 12V power outlet and put the switch for the light just above the outlet, high enough to keep anything in the cargo area from bumping the switch.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am awaiting the arrival of dual LEDs 18w as you described. Looking at the boot area I have decided to mount them in the same location as you have. Had I not been so stupid in thinking I could simply remove the courtesy lamps and use their wires connected directly to the LEDS then I wouldnt need to order a wiring harness. £9 gets me a harness.

My 12v outlet is live (Hmm have to check if its constant live :unsure:) so I will definately take a jump from there with spade crimps that fit over it. They are also on order.

The final part of the jigsaw is the live wire on the switch. Can I spade crimp onto the live of the courtesy light? My thinking is that I can have the LEDS come on automatically when the tailgate gets opened. BUT!! If for any reason I want to turn them off when the tailgate is opened ie daylight then I put the switch to the off position.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
507 Posts
That looks AWESOME and is exactly the look I was striving for.

Now for Project #2 for you. Dremel out the grill slots and install a 12v computer fan behind the grill slots. Have it spin up when the lights come on. Provides 2 things, ultimate cool factor and actually cooling you down.

Yeah, I think of all kinds of things, but execute very few...:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts