Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Renegade Trail Hawk home for an overnight test ride today. Trying to decide between Cherokee Latitude and Renegade Trail Hawk with the latter costing a couple thousand less. I need vehicle good in snow - both on highway (45x2 miles commute/day) and on steep hills (live on dirt road with steep long dirt driveway). More or less I took the Renegade Trail Hawk for test ride today to eliminate it from the mix, but I was so impressed by it and so was my husband (shocking!). Similar to Ford Explorer's 4 cylinder with Ecoboost, it does not drive like a typical 4 cylinder. Consistent RPMs of 2-3K even when gunning it to pass (doing 80-ish)...thanks 9-speed!

I have 'been there-done that' with luxurious gas-gusling SUVs (cha-ching$$). I am ready for a compact SUV with a 4 cylinder (I still cannot believe I am getting a 4-banger!). I am a little nervous that it is the first of its kind model year (2015). However, with how I go through vehicles [every 4-5 years], I will give it a try. I would love to hear more positive experiences and I will definitly post my thoughts/experience after I have driven it for a while.

Personally, I love the look - reminds me of the old jeeps but it has modern conveniences.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I took the Renegade Trail Hawk home for an overnight test ride today. Trying to decide between Cherokee Latitude and Renegade Trail Hawk with the latter costing a couple thousand less. I need vehicle good in snow - both on highway (45x2 miles commute/day) and on steep hills (live on dirt road with steep long dirt driveway). More or less I took the Renegade Trail Hawk for test ride today to eliminate it from the mix, but I was so impressed by it and so was my husband (shocking!). Similar to Ford Explorer's 4 cylinder with Ecoboost, it does not drive like a typical 4 cylinder. Consistent RPMs of 2-3K even when gunning it to pass (doing 80-ish)...thanks 9-speed!

I have 'been there-done that' with luxurious gas-gusling SUVs (cha-ching$$). I am ready for a compact SUV with a 4 cylinder (I still cannot believe I am getting a 4-banger!). I am a little nervous that it is the first of its kind model year (2015). However, with how I go through vehicles [every 4-5 years], I will give it a try. I would love to hear more positive experiences and I will definitly post my thoughts/experience after I have driven it for a while.

Personally, I love the look - reminds me of the old jeeps but it has modern conveniences.
smart choice big suvs are not needed unless your hauling family around with like 3 kids and the inlaws at one time lol, people like to just be noticed some women are most funny they cant even drive em then the husband buys em a lexus rx lmao. how easy we forget the suv craze and its death due to high gas prices, I never had a full size suv but I had v8 caddys that sucks gas just as much, and while a v6 is the sweet spot for power and fuel economy the renegade for its size is pretty good with a 4 cylinder and I'm happy with my choice. I been eye balling it for over a year and theres really noting else on the market I wanted except mabe a wrangler 2 door or I was going back to Cadillac cars ATS most likely with AWD and the 3.6 v6 but a jeep is more functional then a caddy so theres my choice and will be again when my lease is done in three years I think ill stay jeep lmao

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless you need the extra space for hauling more people and stuff, the Trailhawk is a very capable Jeep. I've had mine since July now. It has done great at my work commute and did awesome on a road trip. I even got in a bit of serious off roading and it handled it without blinking.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Between my fiancee and I, we have a Renegade Trailhawk, and a Cherokee Trailhawk.

Size comparisons? Negligable. They have nearly the same foot-print, the general exterior shape is different. (Boxy cute-ute vs Curvy Cute-ute)

Interior initial quality is higher in the Cherokee, and there are more option packages to turn it into more of a luxury vehicle. But, I do find the cloth seats of the Renegade Trailhawk very comfortable and the red accent pieces I'm pretty jealous of.

Something that's relatively minor, but as a Cherokee TH owner I'm jealous of: Full sized, matched alloy spare. My full-size spare is just a steel wheel.

4x4 Capabilities I might give the leading edge towards the Cherokee Latitude (Or Altitude if you like the black styling) if you get the AD2 4x4 package. It will give you a slight lift that's close to the Cherokee TH's lift. If, on the other hand, you were sticking with AD1 in the Cherokee, then it's an even comparison between the Renegade and the Cherokee.

Both vehicles offer the same 9-speed transmission and 2.4L engine (if you pick that option in the Renegade).

Overall, they're very strikingly similar vehicles, depending on packages and options...it may just come down to the exterior appearance, and what you prefer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I bought the Renegade TrailHawk last Friday...I just love it. Averaging 25.6 MPG to-date. Drive 40 HWY miles to work and able to maintain decent MPGs considering to get home I have a serious ~1.5 mile mountain climb everyday (live on the side of a mountain with dirt road/steep dirt driveway). Only issues thus far:

Lack of ability to voice-to-text using iPhone...why is that?! Yes, I can activate Siri but that's spotty :( Not sure why other smartphones will work but not iPhone.

Takes a bit to find paired device every time I start vehicle. Perhaps this is the norm with bluetooth. I wouldn't know as my 2010 Explorer did not have bluetooth - it had the button on the console but it was not activated until the next year's model.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I look forward to learning a lot about my new vehicle thru this forum.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The text part reportedly doesn't work with the Apple phone but does with the Android phone. I have the iPhone but don't use texting much at all so that never bothered me.

My phone usually pairs within about 15 seconds (or sooner) after I start driving the car.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
My android Samsung Galaxy S5 is paired to the U connect. I won't use the sms side of it, but will the phone calls. In GB it is an offence to use a mobile device whilst driving. The penalty is 3 points on your licence and a fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As some one who really hates Jeep at this moment and wishes that my dealer and sales person well lets just say the brand and dealership seem really shady at this time. Personally would not recommend either to any one at this point.

That being said their are some nice tings to the Rene, granted I don't have the TH but some of these will still apply.

The seats are actually quite comfortable, even on trips of multiple hours.

The look is fun and the yellow is the best color (sorry every one else your color is awesome to!)

The suspension gives a great ride, better than the tundra and from what my friends tell me better than their cars, Vensa, Outback, Rav4 and Juke

I have the 5.0 system in my Jeep and while it is buggy with the IPhone 6s especially it is a nicer system than the other cars have and the phone operation is much more convenient. The iPhone 6s has more issues than the IPhone 6, Galaxy S5, or the Lumia 830 and the Lumia 950.

It turns around and is more nimble on the trails and off road adventures. Especially compared to the Tundra

The 5.0 system is also great in how many things it lets you change and the ease with which you can do so, from having the parking break auto engage to turning off the horn honk when locking the car.

These are just some of the small things that are good about the vehicle, their is a 101 other positives, how ever I would recommend not getting a Jeep. Maybe @JeepCares can help repair the damage towards the brand, maybe not either way I hope that what ever vehicle you get is an awesome vehicle that you love and that it serves you well.

EDIT:
Congrats on your purchase, I hope the vehicle is awesome and that you love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.