Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost bought one last night (2016 Trailhawk).

I need a small SUV, with good gas mileage and real off-road capability. Would be my wife's daily driver. The Renegade seemed to fit the bill.

Been looking and researching for a few weeks. This forum has been very helpful.

Found one with the right equipment, drove it, wife drove it. Waited a week or so and negotiated a price.

We went to the dealer to buy it. They had prepped it and gassed it up. We began signing papers (disclosures, insurance, etc). While waiting for the finance people to be ready, we went out to the vehicle so the salesperson could show us some of the features. It was a hot afternoon, so we started it up and turned on the A/C. Nothing but hot air.

Drove it around to the service dept so they could take a peek. 30 minutes later they came back with the diagnosis: No Freon in the system. I'm pretty sure we ran the A/C during the test-drive. Dealer swore it did not have a leak.

I had reliability concerns , but figured most of them were with the 2015 models. Who knows what else they forgot when they built this one.

We walked .....

Not sure if I can get back on board with this vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to reply... started typing and everything... but I'm not sure I can get on board with this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
A good amount of Renegades seem to have shipped without freon, including mine. I'm glad I did some research on issues before buying, as the vehicle had more ups than downs for me. Sucks that they gave you a bad impression, but they should have op-checked the vehicles for sure.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sad premiere. You've certainly the right to make the decision to bale at this point and not let the dealership service department fix the A/C freon issue. BLUF, it's your hard-earned money on the line and no one else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My A/C was not working from the get go when I bought it 7/10. Early in the day during the test drive it seemed okay. Later that day when it was 93 degrees it was only sort of cool. They said bring it in for repair. That was 2 weeks ago. They still can't figure it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to reply... started typing and everything... but I'm not sure I can get on board with this thread.

Just venting. I'm just frustrated. We really wanted this car.

This car fits the bill, but seems to have nagging quality problems. Hadn't even driven it off the lot and it's in the service bay.

I was ready to take this on vacation in a few weeks and do some beach driving on the outer banks of NC. Imagine getting 12 miles up the beach (which is where we go to reach our property in Carova) and getting stuck due so some faulty part or software.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can't speak for everyone but almost 8k miles on mine in 3 months nd mine has performed really well. The only odd thing do fr was the trans dog legs banging one time

·
Registered
326 Posts
Imagine getting 12 miles up the beach (which is where we go to reach our property in Carova) and getting stuck due so some faulty part or software.
Being a mechanical type, a part I can understand, and I can fix. Software, though...I hate that I can't see the problem, and can't fix it myself. Hate that I gotta take it to some guy with a computer.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Being a mechanical type, a part I can understand, and I can fix. Software, though...I hate that I can't see the problem, and can't fix it myself. Hate that I gotta take it to some guy with a computer.
When I learnt the trade back in the 1980s, there wasn't much in the way of software unlike today.

@OP, go and try another dealership and give the Renegade another chance. They aren't all like that. Someone at the dealership should have checked things like that BEFORE the test drive. That is why they have a service department. I get it that you were/are p!ssed, but don't let one bad apple spoil the whole barrel ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just venting. I'm just frustrated. We really wanted this car.

This car fits the bill, but seems to have nagging quality problems. Hadn't even driven it off the lot and it's in the service bay.

I was ready to take this on vacation in a few weeks and do some beach driving on the outer banks of NC. Imagine getting 12 miles up the beach (which is where we go to reach our property in Carova) and getting stuck due so some faulty part or software.

It's your money and your decision. That said, there is no guarantee any vehicle won't have a problem of some kind. That's what Roadside Assistance and an initial bumper-to-bumper warranty are all about.

You're letting yourself miss out on something because of a fear of what might happen.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I researched for almost a year and a half. I waited till October to buy. I even had to leave a dealer after 2 weeks after they said they couldn't 'find' the Jeep I wanted. I just went to the dealer who had the Jeep I wanted, and purchased there.

Not every renegade will have issues. But to hope that you don't have issues is possible with ANY car. Opus said it well above me, fear of what may happen shouldn't control your decision.

This was my 1st new car, so I said warranty is a must. Get the lifetime max care if you're keeping it a long time (or intend to) but just because the dealer screwed up doesn't mean you should walk all together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure if I can get back on board with this vehicle.
FWIW: another Renegade owner here approaching 20,000 miles and have had nothing but fun with it. If I had it to do over, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

As you say, your frustration is due to the fact that--in your heart--you really, really want this vehicle. If you were buying used, I'd agree with your assessment 100% and advise you to walk away. But because you're purchasing new? I'd say go for it. You've got bumper-to-bumper coverage for 36000 miles, and unless you have the ungodly bad luck of purchasing a complete lemon (which is rare and could happen with any new vehicle), the Renegade is not going to leave you hopelessly stranded on your vacation.

Just my two cents; best of luck with your decision, regardless of what you choose to do!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have almost 12k on my latitude, have owned it over a year. AC works great here in central Florida, no problems with it so far.

Clifton

·
Registered
3 Posts
One year and 15,000 miles later and I'm still in love with my Renegade. Not a single issue in that year either. Loved the Renegade from the day I saw it at the auto show in 2014. Couldn't wait for my dealer to get them in. It's a great vehicle and you can't go wrong buying one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Crap happens, heck If I did not buy a new car due to things I notice on test drives, I would be walking, all brands all models.

I drove a GM Terrain, and a vent on the pass side was hanging out and actually fell out during the test drive, not the end of the world.
Plenty have had pulls in the steering, its just a matter of dealers not really checking the thing out when it gets prepped to sit on the lot if they even do any prep these days.

Subaru, Crosstrek, test drive, Dead Battery 1st light we stopped at, once again, still a nice vehicle.

Flaps

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I picked mine up about half way home I noticed the center dome light was hanging out crocked. Popped it back in and never fell out yet. Sometimes things get missed. Human error.

Only had my TH for 2 months and love it more everyday.

jjp

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really want one of these too. But the lack of power with the Tigershark and the tepid A/C are just "no go" issues. I test drove 2 different trailhawks - 2 different dealers two different states. Lack of power was the same. And the A/C performance was the same.

With regard to A/C, it can be a very subjective thing especially when you're getting cool to cold air. But just how cold is the subjective part. So I've been taking the subjective out of it and bought a HVAC register thermometer. I now compare everything to my 2013 VW Passat. It blows 40 degree air when its 102 outside. (Max a/c - recirc on) It will freeze your a$$ off. So test driving the Renegades, 100 outside, center register never gave anything colder than 56 degrees. Compared to a Honda CRV (47 degrees) and a Toyota Rav4 (44 degrees). I am thinking something is just not right with the Renegade's A/C. Those differences are huge on a hot day.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts