Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Here in the UK, we only get a handful of hot days per year, so it isn't a big deal for me. But for you folk who live is warmer climes, I can understand your concern.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you like the Renegade, then go find another one. If you are having doubts about the Renegade then go buy something else. Because if you are having doubts now you will probably still have doubts about the Renegade years and many miles from now and if you buy one and you have a problem with it you will then regret your decision. In my opinion I think you should buy something else.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What's the latest, OBXMan? It's been three days since your last post. Did Freon fix the A/C or did it matter to you? In other words, did you bale out or no from your fiasco?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I really want one of these too. But the lack of power with the Tigershark and the tepid A/C are just "no go" issues. I test drove 2 different trailhawks - 2 different dealers two different states. Lack of power was the same. And the A/C performance was the same.
Did you try the Renegade on max air setting? Just curious.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My two cents:

Not a big enough reason for me to walk. Could have been easily resolved. Things like that happen.

(Unlike the new Focus ST I was looking at a year ago that had a boost leak or the Camaro SS a coworker dealt with that didn't have any coolant)

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Things like that do happen, as you say, but they SHOULDN'T happen. There is no excuse for sloppy things like this. Sales exec gets in a car and finds something that doesn't work, then inform the service department to have it rectified. It ain't rocket science!!

I used to work for Renault and if the slightest thing wasn't up to scratch in a demonstrator, the car was at the service department like a greased turd off a polished shovel, rightly so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What's the latest, OBXMan? It's been three days since your last post. Did Freon fix the A/C or did it matter to you? In other words, did you bale out or no from your fiasco?
Sorry for the late reply. Just backing off on my search. Casually looking at the Subaru Forester.

Wife went out of town and just got back. She will be the primary driver, so I'll have to see if her thoughts have changed.

If she is willing to give the Rene another shot, I am too.

(happy wife, happy life ....)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did you try the Renegade on max air setting? Just curious.
The service dept looked at it right away, and said it had no Freon.

So either they goofed at the factory (what else did they overlook?), or it has a leak (what other components may have similar poor quality?).

·
Registered
38 Posts
3 weeks today..

mine has been in the shop. They are looking for a compressor and HOPING that fixes it. End of next week, in theory, it reaches potential "lemon status". I've had it for 3 days total.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I understand your concern and yes, that would bother me. However, it happens, occassionally, with every car manufacture and with every dealer! The Renegade is a new roll out, only in year two, so still an infant! I would say overall, the rollout hasn't been too bad and I suspect this will be a very reliable vehicle going forward.
Btw, I bought a 2015 this year and have had no issues. I just hit 5000 miles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I really want one of these too. But the lack of power with the Tigershark and the tepid A/C are just "no go" issues. I test drove 2 different trailhawks - 2 different dealers two different states. Lack of power was the same. And the A/C performance was the same.

With regard to A/C, it can be a very subjective thing especially when you're getting cool to cold air. But just how cold is the subjective part. So I've been taking the subjective out of it and bought a HVAC register thermometer. I now compare everything to my 2013 VW Passat. It blows 40 degree air when its 102 outside. (Max a/c - recirc on) It will freeze your a$$ off. So test driving the Renegades, 100 outside, center register never gave anything colder than 56 degrees. Compared to a Honda CRV (47 degrees) and a Toyota Rav4 (44 degrees). I am thinking something is just not right with the Renegade's A/C. Those differences are huge on a hot day.
I'm really enjoying my Renegade--the little 1.4T engine really peps up when the turbo kicks in. It ain'[t a powerhouse, but it moves out quickly enough (being able to row my own probably helps).

I have notiiced the A/C seems a bit weak, compared to other cars I've owned. Then again, my wife has always complained about me putting the A/C on fulll--she prefers it to be on a lower setting--so I can most certainly adapt. I assume it has something to do with the tiny size of the engine, and reducing the power draw of an A/C pump (especially at idle). As I'm quite interested in reducing fuel mileage, I'm just fine with that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Just backing off on my search. Casually looking at the Subaru Forester.

If you're choosing cars based on how the A/C works, may I suggest that the Subaru Forester is not the car for you. I had one before the Renegade and while it was a nice car in many respects, the heating and cooling were not one of them. The A/C never, ever managed to cool the car comfortably, and the heat had two settings -- none and surface-of-the-sun. It was one of the (several) things I disliked most about the Forester.

And while it's not the Forester's fault that it didn't have this feature -- I can't express how much I love the Renegade's remote start in this 90+ weather, and being able to start the A/C going 5 minutes before getting into the car. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm really enjoying my Renegade--the little 1.4T engine really peps up when the turbo kicks in. It ain'[t a powerhouse, but it moves out quickly enough (being able to row my own probably helps).

I have notiiced the A/C seems a bit weak, compared to other cars I've owned. Then again, my wife has always complained about me putting the A/C on fulll--she prefers it to be on a lower setting--so I can most certainly adapt. I assume it has something to do with the tiny size of the engine, and reducing the power draw of an A/C pump (especially at idle). As I'm quite interested in reducing fuel mileage, I'm just fine with that.
I suspect the turbo 1.4 is a peppy little trouper and probably would be quite acceptable to me. I have not test driven one of those because I want a Trailhawk. What aren't they avail in the Trailhawk for Pete's sake? I've driven VW's new 1.8 turbo gasser. While not going to win any races, It is very acceptable to my needs.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I suspect the turbo 1.4 is a peppy little trouper and probably would be quite acceptable to me.
I got the 1.4 turbo 140hp with 6 speed manual, UK model. Only once have I driven it like I stole it and was surprised by the turn of speed. If you get chance, in second gear do 35 mph then floor the loud pedal. Take it to around 6000 rpm, hit third gear, which is what I did and soon hit 80 mph. Ok, it ain't no 6.4 hemi, but it goes well for what it is. I'm happy with it :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
over 8k miles in 3.5 months and rock solid so far

21 - 40 of 91 Posts