Jeep Renegade Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
BU is the Chassis Code or Platform.

For Jeeps, the changes in chassis/body throughout the years used 2 letter designations. You may see: CJ, TJ, YJ, XJ, JK, etc. when talking about wranglers.

hope that makes sense.
this

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thank You Scion, but what does it mean or stand for?

Hmmm...Best undercarriage?
;) just kidding...
BU is the chassis code commonly used to refer to for all types of Jeeps
eg:
KL =Cherokee
Bu=Renegade
WK2= Grand Cherokee
JK= Wrangler

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
Thank You Scion, but what does it mean or stand for?

Hmmm...Best undercarriage?
;) just kidding...
It doesn't stand for anything. It's just a letter code made up by FCA. In the world of jeep fandom, they like their secret letter codes for some reason. They aren't nearly as bad as the porsche 911 crowd though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FWIW no issues with the 2016 Trailhawk I purchased, build date 1/16 (which initially gave me some hesitation) but no issues so far, though I'm only at about 1,000 miles since 12/30. We had a random day where it was unseasonably warm in Ohio recently though so I know the A/C works, or at least I noticed no issues.

Obviously YMMV but it seems like the biggest problem with the Renegade, other than bugs and early build quality issues, is crummy dealers. Oh wait, that is no exception *rolls eyes*. When I bought my 2015 BRZ new the Subaru salesman tried telling me it had a Porsche engine in it because there was a Porsche/Subaru partnership and that it had dual exhaust even though I could clearly see the one muffler mounted under the car... Then I brought it back for 6k service and sat there for four hours until the service manager came out and told me they hadn't been able to get off my locking lug nuts and would need to order some tool...the tool that came with the @$&! things was right under the cargo lid with the spare...

Anyway, everything in life worth doing/having is a gamble and I'd like to think that even if I ran into issues with my Jeep I wouldn't lose its luster as I know this is the Jeep for me (well ok, second behind a '98 XJ but that is another story). Hopefully bad dealers don't continue to put people off this model because I want everyone to be as enamored with their Jeep as I have been so far :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I bought my 2015 BRZ new the Subaru salesman tried telling me it had a Porsche engine in it because there was a Porsche/Subaru partnership and that it had dual exhaust even though I could clearly see the one muffler mounted under the car... Then I brought it back for 6k service and sat there for four hours until the service manager came out and told me they hadn't been able to get off my locking lug nuts and would need to order some tool...the tool that came with the @$&! things was right under the cargo lid with the spare...
Do you mean Toyota/Subaru partnership.
The BRZ the sister car to the Scion FRS which is now a Toyota "86" GT86 here in the US

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you mean Toyota/Subaru partnership.
The BRZ the sister car to the Scion FRS which is now a Toyota "86" GT86 here in the US

Oh I would mean that, yes, but this salesman did not. I think maybe he though boxer engines == Porsche engines and that's where he was going with it? He was a pretty stereotypical car salesman and I was already at a disadvantage buying the original series.blue in short supply so I just smiled and nodded through his nonsense

On the upside though, the dealer I bought my Trailhawk from was outstanding and gave me hope that not all dealers are duds. If It hadn't been love at first sight they probably would have influenced my decision for sure. Pity they are 45-60 minutes from me, but could be a backup if the Jeep dealer in down is so-so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
The codes used to mean something. MA was the military version. CJ stood for Civilian Jeep. I guess they don't have the same purpose anymore, other than us knowing we drive a BU.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The codes used to mean something. MA was the military version. CJ stood for Civilian Jeep. I guess they don't have the same purpose anymore, other than us knowing we drive a BU.
Since it's from Italy, how about Balocco Universale: All-purpose plaything (or toy). Disclaimer: I don't know Italian, that may be completely screwed up.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts