Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was upstairs sleeping. They took my jeep fob and wallet, drained all my finances.
Anyway I found my backup fob, but I need to have it reprogrammed since they have one too.
Anybody know what that costs and do I have to do it at the dealership?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
346 Posts
While I was upstairs sleeping. They took my jeep fob and wallet, drained all my finances.
Anyway I found my backup fob, but I need to have it reprogrammed since they have one too.
Anybody know what that costs and do I have to do it at the dealership?
Thanks

Oh man, that stinks!

I’m assuming you can do all this yourself. I did it on my wife’s ‘15 Yukon with a new aftermarket fob and it was easy enough. Have you googled it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just got to thinking you want a completely new fob with frequency. Sorry...I just swapped the internals into the new fob, so I was not helpful at all. 😁

·
Registered
2017 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Alpine White, 2018 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Omaha Orange
103 Posts
I imagine you want all keys forgotten and reprogram your existing and a new one. Sucks man, I know if someone walked into my place they wouldn't be leaving for sure , I would estimate about an hour of labor or less plus the new fob.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L
86 Posts
o_O

I am so sorry. I would be so angry.

When I asked the dealership last month, I was quoted $185 per new fob. It was one of the few times I've actually asked anyone about a military discount 😂

As for other vehicles, I've been able to follow the reprogramming procedures, which a local locksmith actually showed me how to do after I misplaced the fob for my truck one too many times lol. I would just call a local smith and ask if they can walk you through it because it's so much cheaper 😄.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the responses. I think I'll need a new one as they have the key that gets them in the jeep, but then wouldn't I need new locks. This us a nightmare

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
Sorry pal,
Sounds like time to move.
If Florida our dealer chargers $200.00 for the pod and to reprogram.

Reactions: Jamie Smith

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Very sucky!

Reprogramming required to remove old key and/or add a new one Via dealer or OBD software and correct cable.

Remember the thieves have the mechanical key so if you want to be doubly safe you need to change the locks. (Driver's door and glovebox(?))

You need the keycode to do it yourself. From memory the US dealers don't give this out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if it was mentioned, But if a Locksmith can do the Reprogramming, it'll be cheaper, I had a Saturn Sky that back when I bought it, it only had a key, no remote and since Saturn is no more, I found a Locksmith that programmed 2 Remotes to the car, Paid $170 2 years ago.

Another thing you and anybody else needs to do if you have the Keyless Entry is get what they call a Faraday bag online (About $11) not sure if I'm allowed to say where I got mine, but it begins with a Big 'A'. Then start keeping your keys in that, it blocks the signal, the one I got only holds 1 key, so buy accordingly. Car Thieves nowadays can sit outside your house, scan for the key RFID signal that is CONSTANTLY transmitting and copy it, then steal your car without even having your key fob.

Just a thought, who knows what goes on while you're sleeping.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Another thing you and anybody else needs to do if you have the Keyless Entry is get what they call a Faraday bag online (About $11) not sure if I'm allowed to say where I got mine, but it begins with a Big 'A'. Then start keeping your keys in that, it blocks the signal, the one I got only holds 1 key, so buy accordingly. Car Thieves nowadays can sit outside your house, scan for the key RFID signal that is CONSTANTLY transmitting and copy it, then steal your car without even having your key fob.

Just a thought, who knows what goes on while you're sleeping.
Amazon and Ebay are used frequently within the forum as names and often accompanied by the purchase that members have made or are thinking about.

Outright advertising with no attempt to engage the forum members is almost likely to be removed asap.

There was a TV programme a while back in the UK that showed the thieves in action. The guy had his keys in a bowl beside his front door. Within seconds they had walked to his door, scanned and moved off. next minute they were driving off with the expensive car without any alarms going off.

I think your idea of the bag is a great idea. I'm looking it up right now for a purchase. Many thanks (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amazon and Ebay are used frequently within the forum as names and often accompanied by the purchase that members have made or are thinking about.

Outright advertising with no attempt to engage the forum members is almost likely to be removed asap.

There was a TV programme a while back in the UK that showed the thieves in action. The guy had his keys in a bowl beside his front door. Within seconds they had walked to his door, scanned and moved off. next minute they were driving off with the expensive car without any alarms going off.

I think your idea of the bag is a great idea. I'm looking it up right now for a purchase. Many thanks (y)(y)(y)
Thanks Puddlespasher,

The Bags do work, I tested them out when they came in, I should update my post to state that it's more of a worry with vehicles like the Renegade that have 'Push Button' start and don't need an actual key to turn the engine over.

The video I watched the guy had his Brand New truck stolen from his driveway, He stated that the Police, Insurance and even the Car Dealer all said it could be done in minutes and from up to 300 feet away from the source i.e the key. You'd think Manufacturers would either include a bag with purchase OR make it so you have to push a button to transmit like when you open your car doors you have 60 seconds to start the vehicle or something similar, doesn't seem like it'd be too hard for them to add that feature. Maybe I should run out and patent that idea as 'intellectual property'. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I know this won't help Jamie and I am shocked to hear of such a loss as he has experienced.

This is an old school remedy to stop the thieves and it was raised just a few days ago on the forum.

Are we really in this modern age of electronics in our vehicles, seriously thinking of having to fit a hidden "cut off" switch on the ignition cable.

It's beginning to look like it and can be fitted for around £1including the switch and 2 crimp connectors. How pathetic is that of vehicle manufacturers that they cannot factory fit something of a similar nature?

To alleviate this issue I took TJB's advice and ordered up a farraday box from Amazon for tomorrows delivery (y)(y)

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L
86 Posts
He stated that the Police, Insurance and even the Car Dealer all said it could be done in minutes and from up to 300 feet away from the source i.e the key. You'd think Manufacturers would either include a bag with purchase OR make it so you have to push a button to transmit like when you open your car doors you have 60 seconds to start the vehicle or something similar, doesn't seem like it'd be too hard for them to add that feature.
I'm a little old-fashioned and paranoid. My brother and I both had security concerns years ago when they first started rolling out with this type of convenience technology. I also have big security concerns with things like Ring systems. They're all tools designed for your toolbox, but we should never be dependent on just one. Common sense tells us we should secure our credit cards and information too, but we often find ourselves sacrificing that to ease of use. Why don't all bags and wallets come with RFID blocking fabric? Because it's not something we demand from manufacturers lol. Plus, that stupid fabric is more expensive than it should be, believe me. But, at the end of the day, what is it worth to us as consumers? At the installation I used to live on, security became a big concern for a lot of residents because garage doors were being opened and someone was stealing the contents in cars with remote fobs and no one was even hearing it happen. All the spouses were up in arms and couldn't understand why it was a bad idea to leave their purses in their cars. They thought because they lived on a military base theft shouldn't happen...One fella left his CC in his car. What a mess!

@jamie, I hope you're able to sort it out as painlessly as possible. There are some good suggestions here. When/if you have your fobs replaced/reprogrammed, let us know how that process went for you. I'm curious if you come to a more affordable solution and if you decide to take some other safety measures.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this won't help Jamie and I am shocked to hear of such a loss as he has experienced.

This is an old school remedy to stop the thieves and it was raised just a few days ago on the forum.

Are we really in this modern age of electronics in our vehicles, seriously thinking of having to fit a hidden "cut off" switch on the ignition cable.

It's beginning to look like it and can be fitted for around £1including the switch and 2 crimp connectors. How pathetic is that of vehicle manufacturers that they cannot factory fit something of a similar nature?

To alleviate this issue I took TJB's advice and ordered up a farraday box from Amazon for tomorrows delivery (y)(y)
Thank you for your kind words. Yeah this has been a rough few days, not sleeping at all. Tomorrow the dealership will reprogram the one fob I have left.
I'm so worried about them having the key on the fob to get in.
I ordered a 4 camera security system. I put my dash cam decal warnings on my jeep.
I also ordered a motion detector that I will be leaving in the inside door handle.
This will sound an alarm if they use the key entry. I also bought a fake alarm beeping light box. That i will put so the light will bee seen flashing.
I ordered 4 each 24 hour security cameras signs. I will put one by the tree I park in front of.
Tomorrow I will work on getting my social security and drivers license replaced.
I bought a wallet today, it's empty aside from the police detectives business card and a temp bank card.
I hope I sleep tonight, every light is on downstairs.
Good times..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I imagine you want all keys forgotten and reprogram your existing and a new one. Sucks man, I know if someone walked into my place they wouldn't be leaving for sure , I would estimate about an hour of labor or less plus the new fob.
I stopped by the dealership today, they will reprogram my fob for $60 tomorrow. I'm glad I found the spare. I will probably order a backup fob in the near future.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wait a tick...I just re-read your original post and it sounds like they entered your home?! Is this how they got to your wallet as well?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts