Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Idle vibration in drive only

42K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  p.alyward 
#1 ·
I just purchased a used 2016 latitude with the 2.4 engine and 25k miles. It is producing strong engine vibrations felt through the seats and floor during periods where I'm idling in drive. This only happens in drive and it will stop if I put it in neutral or in reverse. I am thinking this may be a worn motor mount. Ideas or suggestions welcome.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
In another thread someone said the new mount came in 2017, but I'm not sure which engine that was.
Any change like that is likely to not be much earlier than that as there has to be time for enough failures to register it as a problem and then a solution has to be designed and implemented.

#6 · (Edited)
It was my thread, https://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/66-off-road-discussion/100165-rougher-ride.html

Ive had the same issue OP had. My engine is a 2.4L paired with the 9 speed auto Trailhawk trim. 2016 year.

For me it was the passenger motor mount that was worn. Dealer replaced it free under my warranty with the new 2017-18 style motor mount.

Note: My renegade was a December 2015 build date, first 2016 Trailhawk to be sold in Florida. Ive seen other 2016 renegades built in June and July with the newer style mounts.

Vibrations in drive are almost gone. (only slight barley noticeable vibration which is normal for the engine). Defiantly a lot better than when the whole seat, steering wheel and floor shook.

Hope this helps!

#9 ·
My 2015 had a bad vibration in drive idle. Ended up being a combination of transmission and engine mounts. It's obvious the original engine mounts design and / or manufacture is faulty, which is why they redesigned them and put the new parts in the catalog.

If that dealer will not respond, try another. Then work with Jeep Cares.

Rick

#17 ·
2015 Trailhawk Engine/Tranny mounts

My local dealer wanted $630 to replace the engine mount alone. To which I replied, You're Kidding, right?
So - how would I locate the part numbers for the redesigned devices. I found a shop that will do the whole thing for about $200, but I want to make sure that he orders the New Parts from his supplier

Thanks in advance.

#15 · (Edited)
I just got my Jeep back. The dealer replaced all 3 mounts and there is now absolutely NO increased vibration in drive at idle. Anyone saying these things vibrate must have worn mounts. CarMax did a great job and were very helpful and communicative throughout the process. I have to give them top marks for their service.

#19 ·
Took my 2015 Latitude 4WD to the 2nd dealer as the first dealer says vibration is normal ?
Began recently.
Can't be as I'm the original owner , 45K miles .
Suspects the motor mounts but will need another appt. to confirm . Power Train warrantee
expires next month but dealer says motor mounts are not covered anyway . This may be expensive .
If so it is the last Italian Jeep for us .

#21 ·
I had the dealer that said it was the motor mounts (all 3) that caused the vibration in gear , at idle ,
replace all 3 , $1100 . Vibration much less now but still some .
Mechanic mentioned that the fan could also cause this vibration, My fan was recently installed by another Dealer
due to fan recall .
Anyone have the vibration completely stopped by just replacing the motor mounts?

#20 ·
Our 17 with 12xxx miles on her brought it in for trans codes and they replaced all 3 motor mounts. Waiting for a valve body for the trans. **** happens.

#24 ·
Thanks for your reply [emoji106]
Although mine is much better , it is still there. Tolerable .
Must be something else also .
None of this vibration was there before I took it to the 1st dealer for fan recall and they sold me on throttle and injector cleaning [emoji848]
Maybe you have a minor misfire that's not bad enough to throw an ec, but causes roughness. Can you do a obd2 live scan $06 test for misfire.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I just purchased a used 2016 latitude with the 2.4 engine and 25k miles. It is producing strong engine vibrations felt through the seats and floor during periods where I'm idling in drive. This only happens in drive and it will stop if I put it in neutral or in reverse. I am thinking this may be a worn motor mount. Ideas or suggestions welcome.

mine does the opposite 2017 jeep renegade trail hawk it vibrates in just reverse!????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.