Jeep Renegade Forum banner

If you don't get a Renegade what will you purchase

105K views 230 replies 94 participants last post by  cnasty 
#1 ·
What is everyone else considering if they do not purchase a renegade for whatever reason. Price, comfort, size, quality. I am considering a Subaru Crosstrek if I do not fall in love with the renegade. I am also only interested in the TH edition so an over priced renegade for the TH is a concern for me.

#5 ·
My first choice is the TH just like yourself. My second choice (so far) is the Mitsubishi RVR GT 4WD (in Canada) or the Outlander Sport same car, only US name ;). I feel it is a little over priced though despite the great warranty.

My 3rd choice the Honda HR-V, love the magic seat, but don't know much about their AWD system, the RVR has a great system, that may be the deal breaker for me.

I'd like the sun roof which the RVR doesn't have it's got a non retractable moon roof. The HR-V not sure if it does, that too is not out on the market here yet.

#8 ·
Not enough extra MPGs to justify the extra $$. It would only make sense if you are buying it for other reasons as you stated, but a "mild" Hybrid like this makes no sense. I know it's Subaru's first Hybrid but they have to get the MPGs higher, at LEAST low to mid 40s MPGs.

#10 ·
My choices sound weird but here they are:

- Renegade Trailhawk (purchase)
or
- Subaru Outback 2015 Premium with Technology (4 year Lease option)

As I am waiting for my wife to decide if she will get back to work full time or as a freelance, the Renegade Trailhawk will have to compete with the other extreme, the Subaru Outback 2015 Premium with tech...

I know it is weird but if my wife will have to work as a freelancer for the upcoming few years and spends time on the road during harsh Quebec winter, then I will consider a purchase that is proven to be safer, more reliable and efficient, spacious enough yet not gaz thursty, for a longer term. And with an outdoors / mild off road capability... For that, the new Outback 2015 I already test drove is just perfect as a value / quality / price...

Also, and again, I love the look of the Renegade Trailhawk, and for now, it would fit perfectly my needs but the jeep reliability is scaring me when it comes to invest again in a 5 years purchase term as I did with my Patriot 2010 (bought new back in 2010) and not knowing if I can keep the Renegade for longer than its financing term, without having to visit the garage regulary when it starts to age a little... Also Safety is worrying me for this vehicle...

My Patriot 2010 now does not sound too solid and my extended warranty will expire in the upcoming year I suppose. It is simply not worth being kept for a longer time...And I am just afraid the Renegade will have the same fate (ages badly and fast)

Also if the Renegade Trailhawk price package will be above 30.000CA$, I would ask myslef questions if such vehicle vs reliability vs value is worth it compared to the other choice...

Cheers

#14 ·
XV is cool and capable but in terms of value vs money, for a Subaru, does not seem worth it... Yet I keep thinking about it as a higher Imprezza and I don't think it is what I need... Same for the Forester, seems that you do not get the right package for the price you pay and that is slightly below Outback, same trim / equipment...

I thought that the new Outback 2015, although radically different in size and style compared to the Renegade, has it all for the price.

#15 ·
I'm hoping the Land Rover Discovery sport is priced out of my range or it's going to be hard to ignore. I've owned and driven Chrysler vehicles for the past fourteen years and was hoping the Renegade would help re-build confidence/desirability in the brand but In the UK pricing will be the key. In 1993 when jeep cherokee was introduced to the Uk market it was a value for money revelation and touted as a cut price Range Rover rival. How times change. Since then the models have been overpriced, too thirsty or under par on quality and tech and Renegade will struggle to reverse that perception if the price is not competitive against lesser cars than Land Rover models. Either that or it will have to be outstanding in every aspect to sway buyers away from the premium brands. I'm hoping it's fantastic and great value.

#16 · (Edited)
My short list is pretty short. As in nothing.

I love cars and driving them, but these days I don't really get ot do that, and it's not worth the insurance and gas costs for what usually floats my boat (awd turbo charged 4 cylinder cars that handle decently). So I want something with a decent steroe that lets me enjoy my music collection and has enough sidewall to the tires and suspension travel to help make the amalgamation of patch that is referred to laughingly as "road" in these parts less damaging.

I liked the soul, but my wife got one, and owning two seems odd. Plus they redesigned and although the interiors seems better made, I find it exceptionally ugly and don't know if I would like staring at that during the commute.

The mazda CX-5 is on it.

That's about it without going into the used market or going out of my price range that arent encumbered by a lot of "but I don't really like....."

Nissan xterra is neat and priced right, gas milage is awful though.
crosstek is kind of cheap feeling and has all the maintenance downsides of my current subaru except timing belt replacement.
forrester is similar.

Honda CR-V technically should be on the list, but I dislike everything about it.

#20 ·
I own a Mazda CX-5. Got it last October, I love it. 13k miles, it had 2 when we bought it. Not one issue. Test drove a Mazda 6, strongly considered it over my current Dart. The Dart being 7k cheaper sealed the deal.

Scott

#18 ·
The Renegade is first on my list, but pricing will factor heavily, as it would for any other vehicle in that class that I like.

I really like the idea of the Elio. My commute is just me, and for the numbers it is ridiculous for me not to consider it. $6800 and 68mpg combined. It has a roll cage and Lear designed the cockpit. I'm not a motorcycle person, so this seems safer.

I tried to upload a small picture, but it's not working, so link below.

http://www.eliomotors.com/

#99 ·
2016 Elio: 84 mpg, $6,800

The Renegade is first on my list, but pricing will factor heavily, as it would for any other vehicle in that class that I like.

I really like the idea of the Elio. My commute is just me, and for the numbers it is ridiculous for me not to consider it. $6800 and 68mpg combined. It has a roll cage and Lear designed the cockpit. I'm not a motorcycle person, so this seems safer.

I tried to upload a small picture, but it's not working, so link below.

http://www.eliomotors.com/
Say hello to Elio : )​
click either image to enlarge​

#22 ·
Just drove the Crosstrek today and I liked it. MSRP of 25,900. Rode nice and I didn't find it super slow. I'm coming from driving my 2002 4 cylinder Tacoma and 1990 4 cylinder corolla (computer car) and 2008 jeep liberty and I found it moving rather nice compared to what I've been driving. Will definitely be a vehicle I consider vs the Renegade. Nissan Juke was to small but a nice looking vehicle. So far this is a top consideration and I would put it ahead of the Cherokee TH based on price alone.

#24 ·
The newest, lowest mile, southern US Honda Pilot 4WD I can find. I saw one like new today and thought just how fantastically utilitarian these things are. Just throw your Great Dane in and go. Dirty car? Just get the leaf blower and blow out your car. Muddy or full of snow pack? Just get out the garden hose.... you get the idea.

#27 ·
3.2L V6 Cherokee Trailhawk
Cold Weather Package
Navigation
Premium Sound Package
Rearview camera
Hood Decal

I'll just have to save up considerably more of a down payment than I will for the Renegade TrailHawk (which I'm already working on)

Gas mileage doesn't affect me too much because I take a rideshare van for my commute.

#34 ·
I'm waiting to sit in and drive the Renegade. And for the price and mpg. Otherwise it will be the Subaru Crosstrek XV Hybrid.

I tend to believe (caution - opinion coming) that the Renegade is going
-to ride quieter (with non-TH tires),
-have nicer interior surfaces (Subaru XV Hybrid is nicer than other Subaru's I've ridden in that seemed somewhat 'hard - maybe plastic-ish'), but I have a sense that the Renegade interior surfaces might be nicer, and
-get better highway mileage and be a few thousand less,
-with nicer features included.(ie Auto dual zone climate)

So, time will tell if I know anything about anything.

#35 ·
If I don't get a Renegade, I will likely get a new Jeep Cherokee or the relaunched Chevy Colorado midsize truck.

I love almost everything about the Subaru Forester, but it just has zero sporty outside appeal to me. Looks like a plain, boring SUV and also very wagony. And here in Michigan, when you tell someone you're getting a Subaru, it just doesn't hold much weight versus a Jeep.

#38 ·
Since the Renegade isn't getting a diesel option, then we wont be buying anything for a few years. Our current fleet is this:
2007 Jeep Liberty (48,000 miles)
2006 Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel (110,000 miles)
2000 Jeep Cherokee (191,000 miles)

I have a bad case of brand loyalty, so I will stick with Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products. I'm interested in the 2017 4 door Wrangler with the diesel option or the 2017 Grand Wagoneer with a diesel option. We wont buy a vehicle unless we can pay cash for it; so the higher the price, the longer it takes to save. I really want a new Ram Cummins in 2021, but that is so far away, who knows what will be available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.